Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2008, 10:32 PM

9 posts, read 48,710 times

Advertisements

Anyone else go up there for a spirited drive? I make 2-4 trips a year myself. On the Cherahola Skyway I really open her up. I love driving with the top down on a nice spring or fall day.....one of my favorite things to do in life. Doing 90+ on the skyway doesn't hurt either.

Post pics if you have them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 06:37 AM

16,174 posts, read 32,329,827 times
Welcome to the forum!

I live 8 minutes from the Dragon and go probably twice a month, weather dependant. It is gorgeous. There have been a lot of pics of both areas you mention on here if you use the Advanced Search feature. It is absolutely breathtaking in some areas.

I have to tell you though that I can't condone speeding, "opening her up" and "going 90+". Not only is that a risk to the rider it is a great risk to others on the road. Also, those acts lead to stricter laws and rules and regulations which take away the enjoyment of freedom for everyone. When there is a wreck then the roads are closed and emergency management personnel have to respond to that taking away their abilities to help other life saving responses needed in the area during that time. If they are busy scraping someone off the side of the mountain they can't go get a heart attack victim as fast.

I'll get off my soapbox now, as you can tell I have had personal experience seeing the devastation of innocent victims lives at the hand of folks speeding for their own selfish enjoyment.

There are also some other great rides in our area. We are truly blessed with great scenic venues.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:20 AM

13,336 posts, read 39,700,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Welcome to the forum!

I live 8 minutes from the Dragon and go probably twice a month, weather dependant. It is gorgeous. There have been a lot of pics of both areas you mention on here if you use the Advanced Search feature. It is absolutely breathtaking in some areas.

I have to tell you though that I can't condone speeding, "opening her up" and "going 90+". Not only is that a risk to the rider it is a great risk to others on the road. Also, those acts lead to stricter laws and rules and regulations which take away the enjoyment of freedom for everyone. When there is a wreck then the roads are closed and emergency management personnel have to respond to that taking away their abilities to help other life saving responses needed in the area during that time. If they are busy scraping someone off the side of the mountain they can't go get a heart attack victim as fast.

I'll get off my soapbox now, as you can tell I have had personal experience seeing the devastation of innocent victims lives at the hand of folks speeding for their own selfish enjoyment.

There are also some other great rides in our area. We are truly blessed with great scenic venues.
You are so right! I have to spread the love around before I can rep you again.

The Dragon is stunningly beautiful. I went camping on the NC side a few months ago and forgot just how gorgeous it is over there.

However, a few clowns really made the drive dangerous. Here I was with a Subaru full of Boy Scouts, and a few speed demons on Harleys and in PT Cruisers (yeah, PT Cruisers) were riding our bumper, blaring their horns and speeding around us at every moment--even around curves--a couple of them giving us the finger because I guess going the speed limit on that road is unacceptable to them.

Fortunately, on the way back down the mountain after the campout there were highway patrol cars around just about every curve. While I'm sure it infuriated all those who wanted to go 90+mph it made for a much more pleasant and much safer experience for the rest of us.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:45 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,373,811 times
Go Smoky and Jmt, could not agree more, as we cross it at least once or so a year, on the way to Tsaili, for Mtn biking. Back in my old days as a claims rep, can not tell you how many fatalities I worked, and never can understand why anyone would take all those chances at risk of life, not to mention all the disabling injuries. We stopped once at the Dragon for something, but our Mtn.bikes were not to welcome. Speeding makes it so unsafe for all. Need to work something out, for the bikers, so others not so at risk.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:17 AM

394 posts, read 789,229 times
What kind of car do you drive? Many clubs have rallys in the area. Check the calender at the ToD website. I've had a lot of fun driving with a group and alone. But the "season" is basically over right now.

Mind your road manners and drive safely.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:54 AM

10,979 posts, read 9,611,811 times
Doing 90+ on a curvy mountain road....not smart. Risk your own life if you like, but that endangers everyone else when you cross over the center line on curves or tailgate until you can get around someone doing a reasonable speed. Sorry, I just really dislike when people cause others to be in danger for their own pleasure. Bad acts of a few have also really caused a lot of "over-enforcement" on those roads for the rest of us who just want to cruise at reasonable speeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville