Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 05:50 PM

5 posts, read 11,776 times

Advertisements

I've been in Human REsources for 20 years and just recently got laid off here in Minneapolis. I'm probably moving to Cosby, just outside Knoxville, until I find a job in the area. I moved to MInneapolis from Denver where everyone is dog friendly, ie lots of dog parks, no license restrictions, minimal leash laws, lots of open space and no problem finding a place to rent with a dog. Minneapolis, not so much - $50/per dog for a license, then you have addl fees for using a dog park (and you have to pay for each dog park), 6' leash laws, and maybe one place to rent that take dogs at 50#....it goes on. So, I have an Aussie Shepherd at 50# and was wondering what its like in Knoxville for a dog owner? And how cold does it really get - I love the cold!

I'm on linkedin if anyone would like to connect.

Last edited by onitacy; 11-23-2008 at 05:55 PM.. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 06:18 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,484,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onitacy View Post
I've been in Human REsources for 20 years and just recently got laid off here in Minneapolis. I'm probably moving to Cosby, just outside Knoxville, until I find a job in the area. I moved to MInneapolis from Denver where everyone is dog friendly, ie lots of dog parks, no license restrictions, minimal leash laws, lots of open space and no problem finding a place to rent with a dog. Minneapolis, not so much - $50/per dog for a license, then you have addl fees for using a dog park (and you have to pay for each dog park), 6' leash laws, and maybe one place to rent that take dogs at 50#....it goes on. So, I have an Aussie Shepherd at 50# and was wondering what its like in Knoxville for a dog owner? And how cold does it really get - I love the cold!

I'm on linkedin if anyone would like to connect.
Welcome to City-Data! Sorry to hear of the circumstances but you'll love transferring to this area.

You might find this thread of interest regarding dogs in Knoxville: //www.city-data.com/forum/knoxv...knoxville.html

You can look up the historical weather for this area here: Knoxville Weather Forecast and Conditions Tennessee
My ex mother in law lives on the lake in Excelsior MN and it certainly doesn't get that cold here!

Good luck finding a new position. What type of HR work did you do? My husband is an SPHR and there is a fairly active group here.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:35 AM

396 posts, read 1,310,497 times
I think Knoxville is more dog friendly than other places I've lived. There are restaurants that are dog friendly, there are a couple of dog parks that are free although I'm not sure if any are near Cosby. I've heard that Pet Safe is attempting to get 5 more dog parks in the Knoxville area in the next few years. There are also regular parks that are dog friendly and provide receptacles for cleaning up after your dog. There are leash laws here although I'm not quite sure if it's 6' or not. I know the regular parks require you to keep your dog on a leash except Sequoyah Hills park where there is a leash law but people let there dogs run off-leash anyway.

LCG

Old 11-24-2008, 11:49 AM

Thanks so much SmkyMtnGal!!! I focus on talent managment. Moderator cut: per request of op

Last edited by mbmouse; 02-07-2009 at 08:48 AM.. Reason: op asked for personal info cut

Old 11-24-2008, 11:51 AM

38 posts, read 65,217 times
Hope things work out for you in TN. It is a wonderful place . I moved to Fountain City(east Tn.) in July. I have 4 dogs and since I was willing to pay a deposit for each, I was able to rent a wonderful home. People are very dog friendly here and most areas allow them. I have even taken mine to Church! 2 of them. It was unusual circumstances, but the pastor did not care. I would say that is Dog Friendly!

Old 11-24-2008, 11:53 AM

THank you LCG! I'm feeling better about the move already....my Aussie and I used to do avalanche search and rescue in Denver but havent' done anything for the past 7 years. In Minneapolis we only have 3 dog parks including the burbs. Sounds like TN is definitely more dog friendly!

Old 11-25-2008, 02:40 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,249,167 times
TN is dog friendly, but dogs allowed to run at large can and will be shot, especially out in rural areas. Livestock owners have the right to eliminate animals causing distress to their livestock or themselves. So just be careful, please.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:35 PM

Good to know RamblinRose. Thanks much!

Old 11-25-2008, 08:55 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,314,459 times
Not saying either place is "bad" by any means, but there is a world of difference between Cosby and Knoxville. Knox is a city with urban/suburban areas. Cosby is all country and pretty much a camping feeling. Neighbors tolerances will very greatly regarding pets, so please head the above advice about farmers very seriously.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:45 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,249,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onitacy View Post
Good to know RamblinRose. Thanks much!
You're welcome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville