Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2008, 08:12 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,345,306 times

Advertisements

I sat here in MI watching the entire Vols v. Wildcats game, wishing so bad I was there. A cool ending to a dismal season. A legend moves on and a new era will begin. And with a small miracle, I'll be there to experience it firsthand, beginning my own new era.

Hopefully, I'll be in Neyland Stadium next year. I don't care who the Vols play, what their record is, I just think it must be such a neat experience. You could almost say, a little magical.

On a sidenote, I must say the more I read the Knoxville threads, the happier I get that my family and I might end up there. RangerDuke08 painted a nice picture with his farewell. LilCabinGirl also recently praised the kindness of Knoxville residents. I can personally say this is one of the more friendly forums on CD. The local posters treat us outsiders (future residents) like future friends. They go well beyond just giving the facts. I must admit, if my family moves to Knox I will feel somewhat guilty that yet another yankee is moving in. But I also know, no one on this forum will say one negative word about it.

Here's to hoping ya'll have a wonderful holiday season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 08:23 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,387,747 times
Hey Tnky, yes a sad time in Tennessee , and almost caught myself with a few tears. It is sad in seeing Fulmer have to leave with the history he has made with the program. The last 2 games, showed what most of the fans, including me, expected all year. Sad that a new offensive scheme, was the last straw, and like even Clausen himself said, they never developed any confidence all year, and it was easy to see. Great to hear , you might be moving here, as we have a great place, and now with new football expecatations, and with Bruce and the basketball team, a great place to support your love for sports. Good luck on your possible move, and let us know, should you have questions about k-town, as many are glad to help.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:18 AM

611 posts, read 1,458,462 times
My family and I braved the cold and rainy weather to see Phil patrol the sidelines at Neyland one last time - it was definitely worth it! It's sad to see a guy who's spent essentially his entire adult life devoted to Tennessee football being forced out against his will, but I think deep down Phil knows it's what's best for both him and the program. He's had a remarkable run here in Knoxville (the win tonight put his record at 152-52 - very fitting), and in five years I truly believe that all Vols fans will be able to look back and appreciate what Phil's done in his tenure here. There's been a lot of hostility surrounding the program this year, but the future looks bright.

As a transplant from New Mexico, I can certainly vouch for the welcoming nature of Knoxville and all of its residents. We moved here just about three years ago, and in that time period I've definitely come to view East Tennessee as home. I really love it here - the people, the scenery, everything. Knoxville isn't perfect, but it's been great to me and my family. I hope to see you here in the future, TNKY!

And yes, going to a game at Neyland Stadium can certainly be described as magical. My first game (UT vs. Air Force) was probably the biggest case of culture shock I encountered after the move. I mean, how in the world can you prepare yourself to be surrounded by a sea of orange 100,000+ strong when you've never experienced anything like it before? You just can't. I was hooked the minute I stepped on campus for my very first football gameday.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:45 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,390,708 times
Yes, Neyland Stadium is a unique experience. I went to many games in the Rose Bowl, which was almost-- but not quite-- as magical. Nothing like that sea of orange. The stadium feels electric, alive with energy. If only John Ward could have come back one more game...

Change is always an emotional mix of sadness and anticipation, gratitude and regret, a wistful look back and a hopeful look forward. TN is known for having homegrown coaches-- and has had one since 1977--so it will be odd not to see a native son pacing the sidelines. Kiffin will coach with his head, not his heart, and maybe that will be a good thing. Or not.

Ironically, if the Vols had played like they played the last two games earlier in the season, PF would have been given another year, despite a losing season. The QB sacked Phil. He could have overcome almost anything but that.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:13 AM

396 posts, read 1,310,387 times
The magic is not only at Neyland Stadium. Wait until you see the tailgating! It starts bright and early around here and the party goes on all day. Orange is everywhere you look. I've noticed lots of people wear orange on Friday in anticipation of Saturday's game. They sure know how to kick it off here!

Hopefully we will be welcoming you to Knoxville too.

LCG

Old 11-30-2008, 06:25 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,345,306 times
Hey, LCG gave me an idea. And if you see my status, you know good ideas are as common to me as UK football victories over UT . Okay, why don't ya'll have a City Data Knoxville tailgate party next season? And if by God's grace I find myself there for it, I can supply a Litton red velvet cake .

At least the basketball team is doing good. Go Vols!

Old 11-30-2008, 11:28 PM

391 posts, read 1,358,748 times
Quote:
Okay, why don't ya'll have a City Data Knoxville tailgate party next season? And if by God's grace I find myself there for it, I can supply a Litton red velvet cake
Sounds like a wonderful idea to me....I'll pick up the barbecued ribs and pork....

Old 12-01-2008, 09:04 AM

364 posts, read 1,112,168 times
Even being a Gator, I have to say Phil Fulmer is a class act and he will land on his feet somewhere a school would be lucky to have them.

Hey if Urban runs to the NFL who knows. That would be funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville