Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 06:47 PM

3 posts, read 8,304 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
I am probably moving to the knoxville area. I am looking for some help on where to live. (I know, I know...just like all the other newbie's)

A little background on me: 29 years old, no wife, no kids, just me. I would like to be close to restaurants, cafes, bars, museums, parks, etc. I was thinking that the downtown area would work, but I don't want to be too close to UT. I also would be working around the airport (TYS) and prefer a drive of less than 30 minutes.

I saw an ad on craig's list for a place on w. church ave, but looking at google earth it doesn't seem like the best area.

So I will humbly listen to any and all advice. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 07:28 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
30 minute drive to the airport gives you a pretty big circle to work from.

Being downtown will put you close to most of the things on your list, except it's pretty much impossible to be downtown and not be near UT.

IF you take museums out of your list, you could be almost anywhere. You just have to decide on your budget, and the age and type of house you want.

You should probably plan a visit and just tour the area and get a feel for what each area has to offer.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:37 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,720 times
Check the ads in Metropulse. That's the free Weekly. They're all about things downtown and downtown lifestyle.
Metro Pulse: Knoxville News, Issues, Entertainment, Culture, People
There's nothing wrong with W. Church Street. it's a nice street downtown. Hilton's on it, close to the main library, the Y (very popular Y, just refurbished), a couple of blocks from Market Square and restaurants, shops, theaters, etc. There are shops on the ground floor and refurbished apartments over them.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:40 PM

3 posts, read 8,304 times
Thanks for the replies. I plan on coming up to knoxville to check it out. I really like the idea of living downtown, but I don't want to live in a place that is going to have big parties every other night. Do a lot of students live downtown? Are there any places to definitely avoid in the downtown area? Again, thanks for the help.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:33 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,780,380 times
Most students live in Fort Sanders and on campus. Downtown is more young professionals and hipsters.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:24 PM

812 posts, read 1,675,604 times
Are you going to be working on TYS property or just nearby?

Old 12-04-2008, 08:44 AM

420 posts, read 1,535,199 times
Downtown does not feel dominated by UT students at all. It's a nice little city with all that you want to do nearby (possibly within walking distance). I'm thinking it would be 20 minutes (or possibly less) to the airport from downtown proper.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:34 AM

4 posts, read 10,009 times
There are lots of lofts being refurbished downtown, new ones coming up, as well. There is a big push, or drive, it seems to get more people moving into the downtown area. Once you go there, you will see why. Don't miss Market Square, and try to see something at the Tennessee Theatre. There is some construction going on, it seems everywhere, but that is evidence of the dynamic of a great downtown area.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:39 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
Market square hosts sundown in the city so don't rent there if you dislike noise.* Ditto facing Gay st unless you are on the higher floors. A little common sense and you can find a condo on the quieter side of a building.

The new "Market square lofts" are around the corner and thus should be a bit quieter.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:34 AM

391 posts, read 1,359,475 times
Reading your post, and as everyone has mentioned, you sound like a "lofty" kind of guy. There are some excellent downtown lofts that have everything you listed as criteria. As Spider said, it really depends on your budget. Are you looking to purchase or rent? There are many fantastic lofts at the Candy Factory, Commerce Building, Cityview at Riverwalk, Market Square Lofts, etc. These can be a bit pricey, but very nice and refurbished (Cityview brand new). As far as staying away from students, there are a lot that live in the Sterchi Lofts, but the ones there are usually older grad students, and not too loud. There are some good restaurants on Gay Street and in Market Square, all of these would put you close. There are plenty of bars in the Old City, close as well. Depending on your budget, and buy vs rent, there are alot of options in the ever updating downtown area, away from the buzz of UT. Dewhirst Properties has a majority of the downtown options, and would have either option you would be looking for. Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville