Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 01:48 PM

17 posts, read 49,466 times

Advertisements

Hey,

We're both 20. I'm currently a licensed EMT. I've been looking to relocate (politics of Ca drive me insane, along with the overflow of illegal immigration and high cost of living). I was told by an Uncle in NC that Knoxville is an awesome city, and I would have to say it sounds nice from what I've read on the forums. I do a lot of outdoors activities, sounds like there's a lot within a short drive of Knoxville.

Few questions:
What's the job market like right now? I see a lot of positions open at the hospitals and ambulance companies for EMTs. I know in Ca there's about 600 EMT's just in my area that do not have jobs, is Knoxville the same?

How's the tornado frequency and general weather?

Housing market, growing, slowing, crashing?

Hard to find a place to rent?

What's UT's reputation, my girlfriend will be attending there for a degree in Veterinarian medicine. Any good community college's near by? I saw Roanne, but it didn't look like they had an applicable campus in Knoxville.

Are Californians still despised?

What parts of town should be avoided?

How's traffic in comparison to CA? Our's is almost 24/7

How's the economy there, is it taking a huge hit, or is it more along the lines of NC where it isn't falling to rapidly.

That's all I can think of as of now, any other information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 02:12 PM

132 posts, read 369,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daskuppler View Post
Hey,

We're both 20. I'm currently a licensed EMT. I've been looking to relocate (politics of Ca drive me insane, along with the overflow of illegal immigration and high cost of living). I was told by an Uncle in NC that Knoxville is an awesome city, and I would have to say it sounds nice from what I've read on the forums. I do a lot of outdoors activities, sounds like there's a lot within a short drive of Knoxville.

Few questions:
What's the job market like right now? I see a lot of positions open at the hospitals and ambulance companies for EMTs. I know in Ca there's about 600 EMT's just in my area that do not have jobs, is Knoxville the same?

How's the tornado frequency and general weather?

Housing market, growing, slowing, crashing?

Hard to find a place to rent?

What's UT's reputation, my girlfriend will be attending there for a degree in Veterinarian medicine. Any good community college's near by? I saw Roanne, but it didn't look like they had an applicable campus in Knoxville.

What parts of town should be avoided?

How's traffic in comparison to CA? Our's is almost 24/7

How's the economy there, is it taking a huge hit, or is it more along the lines of NC where it isn't falling to rapidly.

That's all I can think of as of now, any other information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew
Job market is slow with a probable exception of healthcare, google search covenant health or baptist/st mary's for local hospitals.

tornadoes that actually touchdown are rare, genreally it is hot in the summer and mild in the winter, this year will probably make me a liar. the weather overall is not bad. Hot and humid in the summer though.

Housing depends on the price range, there is around a 6 month inventory of homes available the last i talked to a realtor.

renting? Not sure, there are plenty of apratments and the local paper should have home rentals, a realtor could maybe help with finding a rental.

as far as UT's vet program, I don't know.

I don't think that people from callie are hated or despised.

traffic comapred to the CA interstate system? no comparison, but it is not great here, not bad.

We don't have huge swings so the overall economy is not great but not bad.

i am sure others will fill in my gaps in knowledge.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:38 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,193,519 times
Having moved here from Southern CA in 94 I can tell you that the Knoxville traffic is not even close to CA traffic, even on the worst day. The poepl that complain about the traffic here have never been in bad traffic, they just think they have. They have no idea what it is like to sit on the freeway for 45 minutes and only go 1 mile.

No attitude against Californians here.

I have done several inspections for people at the Vet School at UT. I have also taken my dog there to have major hip surgery. Have to say they are top notch.

Housing market is about like everywhere else. Hasn't tanked as bad as some, but probably worse off than others. Pretty much sucks is my take.
Rentals should be pretty easy to find.

The parts of town that should be avoided are the places you probably know you shouldn't be there in the first place.
I have no idea how the hospital or EMT job market is.
Hope this helps

Old 12-10-2008, 04:51 PM

197 posts, read 483,055 times
Knoxville's traffic compared to California traffic is no comparison. Knoxville has no traffic when compared to California. I'm with Barking Spider on this one. I lived in Los Gatos and commuted to Milpitas (bay area CA). Knoxville has no traffic. I have been caught in traffic in a Knoxville commute for over 2 hours without moving while coming home from work exactly ZERO times in the past three and a half years. Knoxvillians think they have traffic. They *do* have construction which is a mild annoyance. It's not bad at all!

UT Vet School is fantastic. Absolutely fantastic and has saved the life of my cat twice. Same cat. He had portosystemic shunt surgery and then liver surgery with omentoplasty. If they can't do it, well, its not good news...

You can find a good rental - especially now. You could probably afford to buy something depending on your finances...

Healthcare and IT job markets are still good here.

Good Luck with everything.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:54 PM

197 posts, read 483,055 times
Oh yeah - no, there is no hatred of Californians here. None at all - I thought, "what a strange question to ask" - but I guess there are places that harbor resentment against other places everywhere. No ill will against Cali.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:57 PM

17 posts, read 49,466 times
Thanks for all the responses. You've all been very helpful. The reason I asked about the Californian hatred is because it was mentioned in another moving thread on this website. It, however, said that it was a problem. That was a few years ago though

Old 12-10-2008, 08:48 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,193,519 times
Now if you go to Oregon, Washington or Colorado it might be another story.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:58 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,054,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Now if you go to Oregon, Washington or Colorado it might be another story.
Idaho, too!

Old 12-13-2008, 07:51 AM

37,741 posts, read 40,796,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daskuppler View Post
Hey,

Thanks,
Andrew
How would people know you're from California unless you are doing the happy dance in the street when you get your Tennessee property tax bill?

Old 12-13-2008, 11:44 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,240,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
How would people know you're from California unless you are doing the happy dance in the street when you get your Tennessee property tax bill?
Well, that still wouldn't tell the whole story because that is what folks from not only CA but just about every New England state, FL, AZ and others do too hahahahahah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville