Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2008, 03:37 PM

2 posts, read 6,377 times

Advertisements

My family (wife and 2 young daughters) and I are wanting to move. We currently live in Oklahoma. My wife grew up in the South and she wants to move back. After some research, Maryville seems like a great fit. Here are our criteria.

1. I have to have a view of the mountains. I have lived in Oklahoma all of my life but have always wanted to live near some elevation. I also love outdoorsy activities.

2. Excellent schools for our daughters.

3. Live in a smaller town near a bigger city. Does Maryville have a good sense of community? I enjoy going to sporting event and parades, etc. and seeing some familiar faces. (yes we're boring)

4. Great churches. We're pretty conservative and very active in our church in Oklahoma.

5. Safe town.

Does Maryville seem like a fit for us. Any other towns in "The South" that you can think of? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 04:58 AM

396 posts, read 1,310,884 times
I don't live in Maryville but from what I know, I think it would be a great fit for you and your family. And I wouldn't say the things you like to do are boring. I'd say a lot of us like the same including me and I'm not boring.

LCG

Old 12-16-2008, 07:51 AM

197 posts, read 485,435 times
Yup! Sounds like a fit to me!

Old 12-16-2008, 10:59 AM

340 posts, read 1,189,002 times
We live in Maryville (well, out in the county), with a wonderful view of the mountains. We've been here for 2-1/2 years, and love it.

We also love our great church family, and the town has a wonderful sense of community. Hope you like football! LOL

I think Maryville matches up to your list just fine.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:43 AM

132 posts, read 371,380 times
I live just out of Maryville City and see the mountains on the way home every day. It's beautiful. Blount County is fairly safe, there are loads of churches, I can be in knoxville in around 20 minutes either west knox or downtown. If you want to ask further questons email me at lochmoigh@gmail.com . Are you planning to rent or sell?

Old 12-17-2008, 05:37 PM

11 posts, read 19,521 times
My fiance and I just moved to Maryville from San Diego. We've been in the area for several months and I would agree with what everyone has said so far. The schools are highly regarded, beautiful mountain views to be had, rivers, lakes, Smokey Mtn. National Park, Maryville High School (and College) sports, of course UT, and at around 25,000 people give or take, Maryville lives and feels much smaller. We chose Maryville for all of the reasons mentioned. And it's very easy to get to Knoxville, or even further cities like Nashville or Atlanta. The airport is as easy as any I've traveled through. Let me know if I can help in any way. cgarvey73@yahoo.com

Old 12-24-2008, 05:53 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,520,458 times
We chose Maryville too for the reasons everyone has stated. I have yet to see any shady characters there either and I have been downtown pretty late at night too. The people I have met are genuinely nice and very helpful and I stop and talk to everyone.....even the gas station attendants. I figure they are the "real people" of Maryville and I want to know their points of view and comments about the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville