Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 10:55 AM

83 posts, read 310,757 times

Advertisements

I here ya! I like Metro PCS. We will be in Jefferson County so I dont think Cricket works there. I pulled them up yesterday and I have no idea where those towns they service are. Never heard of them nor are they near Dandridge, White Pine, Etc..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 11:35 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
I have Verizon and had my contract expire since I have been here in Tennessee. When I was renewing it and looking at new phones, I asked about signals in the mountains and was advised to get a cell phone with an antenna (over one that was actually a nicer more expensive phone that I was looking at). So far, I haven't had any problems with service. The only problem I have with the flip phone is my recorded music is accidently triggered sometimes while it is inside my pocketbook...which is the reason why I wanted another flip phone to begin with. So, that and any other button pushing turn on thing wouldn't happen inside my pocketbook/pants pocket. Why they put the music playing buttons on the outside of a flip phone, is a mystery to me.

Um, I don't know anything about why the nub of an antenna makes a difference in the mountains so maybe someone else could explain.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:17 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,135,408 times
Question Antenna vs. no exterior antenna?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I have Verizon and had my contract expire since I have been here in Tennessee. When I was renewing it and looking at new phones, I asked about signals in the mountains and was advised to get a cell phone with an antenna (over one that was actually a nicer more expensive phone that I was looking at). So far, I haven't had any problems with service. The only problem I have with the flip phone is my recorded music is accidently triggered sometimes while it is inside my pocketbook...which is the reason why I wanted another flip phone to begin with. So, that and any other button pushing turn on thing wouldn't happen inside my pocketbook/pants pocket. Why they put the music playing buttons on the outside of a flip phone, is a mystery to me.

Um, I don't know anything about why the nub of an antenna makes a difference in the mountains so maybe someone else could explain.
I have heard the same advice about using a phone with an antenna for better reception. However, I was "told" by Sprint or maybe "sold" is a better word, that the new phones out now with internal antennas have superior receiving capability to phones just a yr. or 2 old with external antennas.

So far, my antennaless phone has been great except on the twisty mt. roads on the Tail of the Dragon route. I would think you would need a satellite linkup to manage a call there no matter what kind of phone you have.

Maybe hiknapster with her cable (and doubtless tower reception) knowledge would know.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:47 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
I know a lot about the internet and I am fairly knowledgeable about cable television and land lines, but I know zero about cellphones.

That info about the antenna on the phone is fascinating. LauraC, I am looking for a decent phone that will play music, too. I heard the Verizon one plays one song and goes dead. Does that happen with your phone?

Also, what music service do you use that is compatible with it? I've been using Urge for the past year, and they were bought out by Rhapsody. I'm not real fond of them. I've heard that Zune is pretty good.

Ultimately, I would like a music service that is compativle with Windows Media Player.

Yes, I used napster for many years, but that is not why I have this handle. It has more to do with my name.

Oh, wow. I think I'm digressing.

Old 09-26-2007, 03:43 AM

950 posts, read 3,191,729 times
I think with T-Mobile's recent agreement to buy out SunCom, T-Mobile will have coverage in the Knoxville area. They are to buy out SunCom in the second quarter of 2008 (I believe).

Old 09-26-2007, 06:34 AM

28 posts, read 111,499 times
Good to know!! I live in Maryland and have Verizon. I've been with them for years and I wasn't sure if I was gonna have to switch to something other than, when I moved down there.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:24 AM

2 posts, read 10,187 times
Default Verizon/Sprint

I have Verizon Cell phone service and Sprint Mobile Broadband and LOVE both.. I've never had any problems with signals.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:34 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,135,408 times
Default Broadband, hmmmm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanknox View Post
I have Verizon Cell phone service and Sprint Mobile Broadband and LOVE both.. I've never had any problems with signals.
Seanknox, I have 3 lines with Sprint PCS. Is there a difference with Sprint Mobile Broadband? I am not real familiar with the technology end.

I wouldn't be concerned about switching to another provider except for the fact that I just renewed my 2 yr. contract and purchased 3 new Sprint phones. Brilliant, right?

Old 06-05-2009, 01:26 PM

62 posts, read 312,183 times
Default Best Cell Phone Coverage

Hello

I currently live in NJ and have verizon for my cell phone. My plan is up and I am thinking of changing to another carrier but whan to make sure I get a carrier that has good coverage in the Loudon, Lenoir City area.

We plan in the next year to move into Tellico Village.

Can anyone recommend a cell phone carrier that they really like and don't have dropped calls with?

Thanks

Old 06-05-2009, 05:55 PM

396 posts, read 1,310,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris270 View Post
Hello

I currently live in NJ and have verizon for my cell phone. My plan is up and I am thinking of changing to another carrier but whan to make sure I get a carrier that has good coverage in the Loudon, Lenoir City area.

We plan in the next year to move into Tellico Village.

Can anyone recommend a cell phone carrier that they really like and don't have dropped calls with?

Thanks
I have Alltel from when I lived in FL but they are merged with Verizon now. We driven all around the area and haven't have any coverage issues. I think there is only one Alltel store in Knoxville, but there is plenty of Verizon.

LCG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville