Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2017, 09:09 AM

10,979 posts, read 9,613,733 times

Advertisements

We are politically liberal and non-church people and we love it in the village. I don't talk politics if it can be avoided. Tennessee is a very red state. Tellico Village is probably a little more liberal, but not all that much. Probably age related, or the fact that many TV residents are from mid-western states. If you go around talking politics all the time, you won't find a lot of people who will be willing to have those conversations. The churches in the village are both very open and welcoming. I am a non-believer, and even I feel comfortable going to events that are held in the churches. My DH spends several days a week playing pickleball with the minister of our Baptist church. Religion isn't part of pickleball, or boating, or golf (except praying to make that putt), so no conflicts. If you respect others' point of view, they will respect yours.

I've posted numerous, lengthy posts about TV in both the Knoxville sub-forum and the Retirement sub-forum . Enter Tellico Village in the search box to find them.

Tellico Village is much closer to Knoxville than Chattanooga, by the way. (30 minutes vs. an hour and a half)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 10:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,401 times
Default Info on Tellico Village

We are considering a house that is for sale in Tellico Village. We love the house but are concerned we may not fit in well since we are not retired and have elementary aged children. We don't plan to use the public school system so we aren't concerned about that. We are just curious how families are regarded in the area since it is more geared towards retirees. I haven't seen children there other than what appear to be grandchildren.

Are there any younger people or families that live there? How are kids regarded? We have not lived in a neighborhood yet that had a lot of kids so it wouldn't be a big change if there aren't any I am just wondering if families with kids are frowned upon in the community.

My other question is about restrictions. Are those the same for every neighborhood? Can you decorate at Christmas? I only saw one person with a fence. We have a dog. Just wondering if we can have a fence.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:45 PM

1,321 posts, read 1,676,239 times
Hi SomewhereinTN,

I don't live in TN and I haven't been to Tellico Village yet... but we are thinking about it. We also have a dog who will need a fence.

I called the POA at Tellico Village, TN and asked about putting up a fence at a home if we bought one. The woman I spoke with was very nice and she said putting up a fence would be allowed as long as the fence was no higher than 4 ft tall. It cannot be in a utility easement, it cannot extend past the front plane of the home. The permit fee is based on the estimated cost of the project. The fence can be made of wood, aluminum, vinyl, wrought iron.

She said that when we find a home that we want to purchase she will look at the plat map and let me know if a fence could be put on that property and where it could be put. She said that some homes cannot have a fence because of the way the utility easements are laid out on the property.

If you call the POA they will be kind enough to let you know if and where a fence can be put on that specific property.

Meanwhile, I have read on another board that people in Tellico Village let their dogs run free because there are few fences and that this angers their neighbors. That post was acerbic.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:21 PM

10,979 posts, read 9,613,733 times
I've lived in TV for 4 years. Fences are allowed within certain limits, as ^^^^stated above^^^^. Dogs are not allowed to roam free. We have leash laws, just like most other places. A dog roaming free would be subject to being taken to the shelter, if they aren't run over by a car first. There are a few idiots that's turn their dogs out, and they are not very popular with their neighbors. People her are pretty picky (rightly so) if you don't clean up after your dog. We have a dog park, and we also have an area near the village where many people take their dogs to run.

Yes you can decorate at Christmas, and some decorate more and others less so.

There are people still working, and some folks with kids. I would venture that maybe 15% still work full time, most are retired, many volunteer also. The number of kids is quite low. I would guess maybe 5% of residents have children living with them. it might be hard for them to find playmates, and the streets are narrow without sidewalks, so not safe for little guys riding bikes. The school bus does pick up here. We have a little beach and playground that are well suited to very little kids. Many grandkids are here in the summer, and we have a couple of weeklong day camps for the kids. We have a swim team. Kids under 16 must always be accompanied at the pool or tennis/pickleball courts. I would think that younger teens might find it a little restrictive, and not many kids their age to hang out with.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:40 AM

113 posts, read 157,387 times
Default Please tell us the Pro's & Con's of Tellico Village Main vs Tellico Village Kahite

Hi All,
My wife and I are looking at possibly moving/retiring to TV and would like to know the pro's and con's of TV Main Village vs TV Kahite. On our return trips home from Florida last October and this past February we spent the part of a day driving around TV Main Village. So far we like what we see and like the feel of the area. We always thought we would end up in Florida but after putting 5K miles on our car driving around different parts of Florida these past 2 years, we never saw an area that clicked with us. We think that what we liked about Florida was the Disney Bubble. We have spent so much time at Disney with the family I guess we felt comfortable. But once out of the Disney Bubble it didn't feel like home.

We are planning on doing the Tellico discovery package for 5 to 7 days this summer to try and get a feeling for what it would be like to actually live there.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Bob

Old 03-17-2018, 07:56 AM

284 posts, read 359,789 times
We’ve lived in TV for right at a year now. We live in the middle of the main village and love it. The Village is comprised of many different neighborhoods that weave and wind around the lake, the golf courses and the woods. The homes and settings are pretty diverse, so this area can appeal to lots of different tastes. The advantage to living in the main village vs Kahite is just proximity to all the activities and amenities the Village has to offer. Kahite is beautiful, closer to the mountains, and from what I hear, a very close knit community, but it’s 20+ minutes from all the activities that take place at the yacht club and rec centers. It was just too remote feeling for us.

Definitely recommend the Discovery package. Just come spend time here and check it out. Meet some people and see if it feels right.

Old 03-17-2018, 02:56 PM

Hi Drift Away,
Thank You for you thoughts, Kahite "just too remote feeling". Thats one of the thought that my wife had. We'll have to see how we feel when we are down there.

Thanks,
Bob

Old 03-17-2018, 04:32 PM

4,334 posts, read 4,270,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsaw7854 View Post
Hi Drift Away,
Thank You for you thoughts, Kahite "just too remote feeling". Thats one of the thought that my wife had. We'll have to see how we feel when we are down there.

Thanks,
Bob
Kahite isn't for everyone. We chose it for the open feeling and the views of the mountains. I would not want to move to the main village.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:31 PM

Hi Grampa Tom,
We plan to check Kahite out while we are there. We have friends who live in Kahite and loves it. So we will spend a fair amount of time there.

Thanks,
Bob

Old 03-18-2018, 03:50 PM

4,334 posts, read 4,270,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsaw7854 View Post
Hi Grampa Tom,
We plan to check Kahite out while we are there. We have friends who live in Kahite and loves it. So we will spend a fair amount of time there.

Thanks,
Bob
I hope you get to spend some time on the lake. Also, if you are golfers you will really like the course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville