Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 12:15 PM

61 posts, read 185,068 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, is there a good place to buy firewood? Our apartment has a fireplace, and thanks to TVA rates we keep the t'stat about 67 degrees. On cold nights we make a fire. So far, we just buy little bundles from Weigles for 4 bucks, two bundles last a few hours. Does anyone have any sources or good places to buy wood from? We have maybe enough room to store a half rik (sp?). I have a truck, so picking it up is not a problem. BTW, i did get a job, started the week after Christmas. Moved up from Tampa the weekend of Thanksgiving w/o a job, but some prospects. And yes, i do know how lucky i am to have found a job in this economy.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 12:54 PM

204 posts, read 580,360 times
I don't know anything about getting firewood but wanted to say congrats on gettting a job.

Welcome to Tennessee

Old 01-11-2009, 01:02 PM

396 posts, read 1,310,387 times
I don't know where you're located but we got a whole rick from Horn of Plenty on Middlebrook Pike in Cedar Bluff for $70.00. We got a phone number for a place that sells wood for $50/rick that we are going to try next time.

Congrats on the job!

LCG

Old 01-11-2009, 01:23 PM

16 posts, read 38,316 times
There's a house on Ball Camp Pike next to the side entrance of Trails End subdivision that has loads of firewood for sale. I don't know the price, but if you're in the area it may be worth checking out.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:38 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
I bought a cord for $185, delivered, from Nathan Bemis up in New Tazewell. 423-526-7828. I don't think it would be worth it to have less delivered, but he figures his gas, and with gas prices so low he might be worth a try.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:43 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,659,348 times
Congratulations on getting the job! That will make your Tennessee life a lot more enjoyable without that worry.
How much room do you have to store firewood? Apartment complexes can get picky about having it outside.
Do keep in mind that when you burn a fire -- unless you've got a good glass screen on it -- the fire pulls heated air from the house and sends it up the chimney and can actually increase your heating bills. A fire is nice on a quiet evening, though.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:48 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,778,889 times
Gretzky, I have a small pile of seasoned wood that you can have, plus several more large maple limbs that I am going to be taking out soon. DM me for directions (I live in Bearden). I don't have a fireplace so they are of little use to me.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:31 AM

61 posts, read 185,068 times
Thanks guys!I live off of Cedar Bluff, in Fox Lake apartments. We are going to store the wood in a large plastic tote on the porch, out of sight and out of the rain. Speaking off, what happend to the drought? Have we not caught up yet?

I will try the Horn of Plenty, that is just up the street from me.
Thanks for the props on the job. I was sweating that pretty bad in this economy, but i got very lucky. The company is great.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:15 PM

396 posts, read 1,310,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretzky_99 View Post
Thanks guys!I live off of Cedar Bluff, in Fox Lake apartments. We are going to store the wood in a large plastic tote on the porch, out of sight and out of the rain. Speaking off, what happend to the drought? Have we not caught up yet?

I will try the Horn of Plenty, that is just up the street from me.
Thanks for the props on the job. I was sweating that pretty bad in this economy, but i got very lucky. The company is great.
Let me know how you make out at H of P. We might wind up cruising over there for some more wood after all.

LCG

Old 01-14-2009, 06:43 AM

190 posts, read 742,810 times
Can I add that there is a company we used and we aren't happy about? Or is that against the rules? My beef with the wood is that it is supposed to be seasoned but it is so wet it's starting to mold in our garage and it hasn't even been a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville