Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 05:02 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
With all this rain, spring should be spectacular!
We wouldn't appreciate spring if we didn't have to winter to compare it to.
I totally agree with Spring probably being spectacular.

One outdoor thing that a grey Winter is good for is spotting birds in trees. As one poster told me, the birds puff out when it's cold and with no leaves on the trees, they are easier to spot. And, if there is no sun (but it's not raining) when you photograph them, there will be no shadows from the branches. Other than that, I got nuthin'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 05:11 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I totally agree with Spring probably being spectacular.

One outdoor thing that a grey Winter is good for is spotting birds in trees. As one poster told me, the birds puff out when it's cold and with no leaves on the trees, they are easier to spot. And, if there is no sun (but it's not raining) when you photograph them, there will be no shadows from the branches. Other than that, I got nuthin'.
Au contraire. Winter is not summer and you hate heat.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:49 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,248,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
I saw a video on tv where one family gave up on snow and rode their plastic sleds down their steps inside their home!

When in Rome...lol

Old 01-13-2009, 08:02 AM

152 posts, read 332,788 times
This rain is driving me nuts. Just like my old England. It's so depressing. But I must remember having to shovel snow off my car lots of days to get to work when I lived in NY. Yippeee I can see some sun this morning. Roll on Springtime and my daffodils will pop up and I will be able to get my hands dirty in the dirt for gardening.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:34 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,066,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyofengland View Post
This rain is driving me nuts. Just like my old England. It's so depressing. But I must remember having to shovel snow off my car lots of days to get to work when I lived in NY. Yippeee I can see some sun this morning. Roll on Springtime and my daffodils will pop up and I will be able to get my hands dirty in the dirt for gardening.
Only a few more weeks and y'all can play in the dirt.....

Old 01-13-2009, 09:06 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyofengland View Post
Live in Florida for ten years. After awhile you want to just hide from that sun. I still get cheery when it rains. Reminds me of my old NEW England!

Old 01-13-2009, 11:39 AM

52 posts, read 200,577 times
Default Depressing Weather

If you think the cloudy damp weather in TN is depressing, try a week in MN where we received 8" of snow yesterday on top of the 12" that we already had and this morning it was sunny but -20 degrees.

I think I would take the cloudy 40 degree weather anyday over what we have here in MN. I can't wait to move to TN in a couple of years!!

Old 01-13-2009, 07:52 PM

17 posts, read 35,375 times
You guys are scaring me about TN weather...here in Syracuse NY, we are about to have a cold spell where the temps aren't going over 10 and the lows will be BELOW zero.....We have already had 90 inches of snow heading well above our average of 120 inches (that's 10 feet) for the season....my wife wants to move to TN soon, but tell me something GOOD about the weather in Nov, Dec, and Jan OR does EVERYBODY complain about the weather where they live?????

Old 01-13-2009, 08:02 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,778,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beekaybee555 View Post
You guys are scaring me about TN weather...here in Syracuse NY, we are about to have a cold spell where the temps aren't going over 10 and the lows will be BELOW zero.....We have already had 90 inches of snow heading well above our average of 120 inches (that's 10 feet) for the season....my wife wants to move to TN soon, but tell me something GOOD about the weather in Nov, Dec, and Jan OR does EVERYBODY complain about the weather where they live?????
Everyone complains about the weather where they live. In fact, the past three winters were fairly sunny and mild (50's and 60's). Good things about TN winters: it doesn't usually last very long (~2 1/2 months), it doesn't get too cold (few nights in the teens), it does rain quite a bit but there are also sunny periods, and spring starts in late February.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:04 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times
I love TN but when it becomes 9 degrees in the morning, like it will be this week according to predictions, I tend to whine if able to stop the teeth chattering long enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville