Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2009, 02:14 PM

100 posts, read 338,478 times

Advertisements

My husband has worked for Coca-Cola in Toledo, OH for thirty years. These bitter cold winters are very hard on him physically, and he would like to transfer to a Coca-Cola plant that is in a warmer, but not tropical, climate. This is us in a nutshell: Mom, Dad, two teens, Conservative Christian (would want a Christian high school for our daughter, son will be in college next fall), and would like to find a friendly, conservative Protestant church. We have bypassed Knoxville several times on I-75, but other than that, we have no idea what suburbs or areas of Knoxville itself would be good, safe, family-oriented areas to live. I also like the Atlanta area, but my husband feels that Atlanta is too big.

Based on my description, do you think that the Knoxville area would be a good place for us? My husband loves the mountains, and I love beaches. The Coca-Cola distributorship that he works for doesn't service the Carolinas or the Nashville area, just Knoxville, and Cleveland, TN. Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated! : )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 02:22 PM

22 posts, read 63,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidafan View Post
My husband has worked for Coca-Cola in Toledo, OH for thirty years. These bitter cold winters are very hard on him physically, and he would like to transfer to a Coca-Cola plant that is in a warmer, but not tropical, climate. This is us in a nutshell: Mom, Dad, two teens, Conservative Christian (would want a Christian high school for our daughter, son will be in college next fall), and would like to find a friendly, conservative Protestant church. We have bypassed Knoxville several times on I-75, but other than that, we have no idea what suburbs or areas of Knoxville itself would be good, safe, family-oriented areas to live. I also like the Atlanta area, but my husband feels that Atlanta is too big.

Based on my description, do you think that the Knoxville area would be a good place for us? My husband loves the mountains, and I love beaches. The Coca-Cola distributorship that he works for doesn't service the Carolinas or the Nashville area, just Knoxville, and Cleveland, TN. Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated! : )
lol...there's about a millions Christian Academies to choose from here. Good luck!

Old 01-21-2009, 04:13 PM
BST

451 posts, read 1,202,290 times
There's also a big bottling operation in Chattanooga. You're sure to find similar quality of life in either place...but not certain there would be employment opportunities in both.

Knoxville touts Christian Academy of Knoxville and Grace Christian Academy as its two largest Protestant high schools. There's also Catholic HS and another private academy, Webb. Let Google be your friend. Just search each school name + Knoxville...they all have informative web sites.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:18 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
I think of Cleveland as more conservative overall than Knoxville, but as mentioned there are Christian high schools and many conservative Christian churches where you can find community.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:40 PM
BRH

99 posts, read 347,267 times
Both Knoxville and Chattanooga would probably be good choices based on your description and wants. Since your husband could work in either the Knoxville or Cleveland, TN plant, then both would be options. Cleveland is only about 20 to 25 miles from Chattanooga, so it is an easy commute (unless you really don't want to drive far at all).

But both Knoxville and Chattanooga and the surrounding communities would definitely fit your description. I would advise researching both and visiting and exploring the neighborhoods to see for yourself.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:55 PM

100 posts, read 338,478 times
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and advice. I'm still not sure if we are going to do this, but if we do, you have all helped us and I appreciate it.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:42 AM

70 posts, read 298,879 times
Default Knoxville - chattanooga - in the middle

Hello!

My personal suggestion would be to look into Cleveland, a town/city of around 50,000. It's on I-75 in between Chattanooga and Knoxville. Cleveland is the home to 'The Church of God' and 'The Church of God of Prophecy' which seems to put a conservative Christian spin on everything. Lee University (a very good school) and a 2 year college are also located in Cleveland. Cleveland and the surrounding areas probably have most of what you may ever need but just in case, Chattanooga is around 30 minutes Southwest, Knoxville is about 1 hour or so in the other direction, Nashville is in another direction about 2 hours away, and Atlanta (the really big bity) is aobut 2 hours to the South.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-23-2009, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,227 times
Your family would love Knoxville. My family and I relocated here 3 years ago from Sylvania, Ohio and don't miss the winters at all. It is a GREAT place to raise family, climate is perfect not to hot or cold and there is alot to do. We have never regretted our move.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:56 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Smenner View Post
Your family would love Knoxville. My family and I relocated here 3 years ago from Sylvania, Ohio and don't miss the winters at all. It is a GREAT place to raise family, climate is perfect not to hot or cold and there is alot to do. We have never regretted our move.
Welcome to the forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville