Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 07:07 PM

391 posts, read 1,358,748 times

Advertisements

Hello all, any help will be greatly appreciated. We are in the middle of completing a house remodel, and one area the "honey-do" list has me on now is completing the kitchen. We've done some funky cabinets, wooden beams, new colors, etc. But, I'm in need of wooden countertops, butcher block style for the whole kitchen. Anyone know a good place that may offer these? Lowes and the Depot didn't have any viable options. Anyone that has a kitchen designer recommendation or know where to track down a good product please post or PM me. Thanks in advance for any help!
Will
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 01:11 AM

2,171 posts, read 7,659,348 times
You don't see many wood counters these days. Too hard to clean and sanitize.
Ikea has some, but you'd have to drive to Atlanta to get them.
IKEA | Kitchen cabinets & appliances | Countertops | PRONOMEN | Countertop (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40057754 - broken link)
Might try Dixie Kitchen on Broadway.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:00 AM

Yeah, sanitization is the one drawback of the wooden. After proper "googling", we've determined that the style is just the look that we want for the house, so I've been doing some research on proper care (sealing every three months, what to use on top, not setting hot dishes or pans on it, etc). We've decided to use mobile cutting boards for most of our prep work to cut down on food exposure. Ikea does have some reasonable options, but I'll check Dixie. Thanks.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:14 AM

3,897 posts, read 1,227,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
You don't see many wood counters these days. Too hard to clean and sanitize.
Ikea has some, but you'd have to drive to Atlanta to get them.
IKEA | Kitchen cabinets & appliances | Countertops | PRONOMEN | Countertop (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40057754 - broken link)
Might try Dixie Kitchen on Broadway.
IKEA in Charlotte, NC has their grand opening this week!!!!

Old 02-16-2009, 01:39 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,659,348 times
How about bamboo? Ecologically sound and supposedly harder than maple.
Totally Bamboo:Countertop Gallery
Beautiful colors.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:40 AM

43 posts, read 100,383 times
Default nice and green

The bamboo counters are attractive, and I saw them on one of my Green websites.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:21 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times
William -

The Home and Garden show is this weekend. You might want to go there and see if there are any kitchen designers you like. Of course, you know to check references, etc. Also, homebuilders and others there can give you recommendations or steer you away from some. I love the look of butcher block and if you utilize a cutting board you should be fine with proper care. I can't wait to see pictures!

Good luck.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:29 AM

11 posts, read 19,514 times
Have you thought about finding a local woodworker or mill work shop to fabricate them for you? I don't know how many square feet, dimensions, etc. that you need but with a table saw and a decent planer, making butcher block counters isn't that difficult. Did you want the standard maple, or some other wood?

Old 02-18-2009, 11:19 AM

Thanks everyone for the responses. My ideal was the maple, since its harder in substance and easier to keep clean. I've thought about trying to fabricate myself, or have someone comission to do it for me. I like the bamboo look, though since our house is a refurbished 1930's farmhouse, I think the butcher block will keep the country feel the best. Smoky, I will definitely try and take in the H&G show this weekend if I'm not too booked. Surely I can find someone there to help, so thanks for the heads up! Is it at the expo center or somewhere else?

Old 02-18-2009, 11:39 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times
It's at the Convention Center. Here's the linky. Have fun whatever you end up doing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville