Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 04:32 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,930,147 times

Advertisements

Checking to see if allergies & asthma get bad out there. Both are terrible in CA almost year round for me. When I was living in NV I hardly had a problem. Any one out there from other states they may have any input?? It wouldn't stop me from moving there,but just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 04:50 PM
BST

451 posts, read 1,198,604 times
Yes...allergies are prevalent in East Tennessee. Count on finding something new to be allergic to...although hopefully not year-round.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:51 PM

16,174 posts, read 32,382,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufford View Post
Checking to see if allergies & asthma get bad out there. Both are terrible in CA almost year round for me. When I was living in NV I hardly had a problem. Any one out there from other states they may have any input?? It wouldn't stop me from moving there,but just curious.
This is one of the asthma and allergy capitals of the world. Don't say we didn't warn ya.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:54 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,569,530 times
Yup although I suspect there's a chance you might be alright ... you'll have to check it out specifically in Spring to know for sure ... allergies are bad in areas such as E. TN, Greenville, SC, Houston, TX where it can pollinate almost all year round ... yet asthma and allergies out West are prevalent due to the dryness where pet dandur and dust fly around in the air. I was surprised when I didn't get allergies or asthma symptoms anymore out in Knoxville, TN, it was a big relief.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:18 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,117,298 times
Yep. You are warned.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:41 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,222,370 times
I moved from So CA (Long Beach). My allergies were really bad there. I could not cut my lawn, I would break out all over. I moved to Knoxville in 94, and have to say that my allergies are less here, and different.

I am able to cut my lawn here, but still have some problems around some shrubs, and during some times of year.

During pine pollen time (when everything turns yellow), I suffer.

Some years are worse than others, but for the most part, I suffer less here than CA. I am convinced that most of my problems were from that nice dark brown air I was breathing every day, the pollution of 8 zillion cars, trucks and buses around me.

That said, you might suffer MORE here because of the stuff YOU are allergic to.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:11 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,238,714 times
We are moving to New Mexico after the first of the year due to my asthma. It cropped up suddenly, March 09 will be two years since it started. Mine is a bit odd, it's totally humidity intolerant.

The west, and more arid surroundings, will be much better for me, perhaps I can even resume my life....

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:21 PM

I figured allergies would be bad out there, but I was hoping I was wrong! RRR hope you do better in New Mexico. What area of NM? Is that the only reason you are moving there because of asthma?
Ranger Duke08, you sure are fortunate that yours went away. It seems the older I get the worse mine get! I know years ago they would say AZ was the place to go for allergies, but now I have friends in Phoenix & they are suffering tremendously. I can't imagine it being worse for me in TN then CA. I've had problems spring & fall every where I've lived, but here I may have 1 month of relief.
Good to hear it's better for you in TN, Barking Spider. Do you ever regret moving there?
I have relatives that moved from Westminster, CA to Nashville 2 years ago & so far they absolutely love it. Thanks for everyones help.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:40 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,238,714 times
Yup. We took a trip out there this past June and I didn't have to use my rescue inhaler at all. Here I use it 4-6 a day. Of course I didn't take myself off my advair, as it was only a 9 day trip. I was able to move about normally, go outside without concern, ride with the windows down and take my kids to the zoo.
Ironically enough, I had allergy/sinus problems prior to the asthma. Now it's just asthma. There've been days where apparently the pollen count and such have been high and my family has been miserable-but since the humidity was low, I felt wonderful. Odd, eh?

Old 11-12-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
Yup. We took a trip out there this past June and I didn't have to use my rescue inhaler at all. Here I use it 4-6 a day. Of course I didn't take myself off my advair, as it was only a 9 day trip. I was able to move about normally, go outside without concern, ride with the windows down and take my kids to the zoo.
Ironically enough, I had allergy/sinus problems prior to the asthma. Now it's just asthma. There've been days where apparently the pollen count and such have been high and my family has been miserable-but since the humidity was low, I felt wonderful. Odd, eh?
Good luck on your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville