Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2009, 10:54 AM

30 posts, read 139,309 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

My family and I (7 in total) have been considering a move to the knoxville area for some time. We have visited twice before to get a real feel for the area and we absolutely love it.

We have a couple of specific questions regarding the public schools and faith. As a family we are actively involved in Christian ministry and youth activities. My kids have never been to public school and they would attend Elementary, Middle school, & High school.

One reason we have never put them in public schools is the areas we have lived in tend to teach from more of world view and also have either had gang problems and or click issues.

We are really considering putting them in public schools this time and would love to hear real world feedback from parents and teachers specifically about the middle school and Maryville HS.

1. Are the schools open to Christian viewpoints in discussions or is it frowned upon and discouraged?

2. Is evolution strictly taught as an absolute fact? We are fine with teaching it but our experience with kids is it is sometimes taught with such fervor that it becomes indoctrinated as absolute truth without any alternative viewpoints allowed.

3. Are there any Christian clubs or activities in Maryville HS.

4. How accepting are the kids to new kids?

5. Any experiences you may have had when you moved into the area would be appreciated.

6. Are there any absolutely great youth ministries in town that rally make an impact on the kids and actively do things in the community at large?

We are coming into town one last time on Saturday for a week to make sure it is the right move for us. We plan on visiting the schools and will make appointments to see the schools. We just want a real world boots on the ground so to speak assessment.

Thanks so much

P.S. We have read many of the threads on the schools in city data you guys are so helpfull and welcoming and for that I thank you. It has answered many other questions we have had.

Jason Long

Last edited by jason1; 02-18-2009 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: Added content
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 11:34 AM

16,174 posts, read 32,379,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason1 View Post
Hello All,

My family and I (7 in total) have been considering a move to the knoxville area for some time. We have visited twice before to get a real feel for the area and we absolutely love it.

We have a couple of specific questions regarding the public schools and faith. As a family we are actively involved in Christian ministry and youth activities. My kids have never been to public school and they would attend Elementary, Middle school, & High school.

One reason we have never put them in public schools is the areas we have lived in tend to teach from more of world view and also have either had gang problems and or click issues.

We are really considering putting them in public schools this time and would love to hear real world feedback from parents and teachers specifically about the middle school and Maryville HS.

1. Are the schools open to Christian viewpoints in discussions or is it frowned upon and discouraged?

2. Is evolution strictly taught as an absolute fact? We are fine with teaching it but our experience with kids is it is sometimes taught with such fervor that it becomes indoctrinated as absolute truth without any alternative viewpoints allowed.

3. Are there any Christian clubs or activities in Maryville HS.

4. How accepting are the kids to new kids?

5. Any experiences you may have had when you moved into the area would be appreciated.

6. Are there any absolutely great youth ministries in town that rally make an impact on the kids and actively do things in the community at large?

We are coming into town one last time on Saturday for a week to make sure it is the right move for us. We plan on visiting the schools and will make appointments to see the schools. We just want a real world boots on the ground so to speak assessment.

Thanks so much

P.S. We have read many of the threads on the schools in city data you guys are so helpfull and welcoming and for that I thank you. It has answered many other questions we have had.

Jason Long
My last one is graduating this year from Maryville High and he went to Maryville Middle.

1. While a lot in the area is church based, it isn't openly discussed in the school system. It would probably be frowned upon to discuss it in great detail.

2. It is not on the state tests and it is not taught with fervor.

3. There is FCA and I think that is it. I would have to ask my child or look at the yearbook to be sure. While there are plenty of children that are Christian, my son being one of them, what I call "Jesus freaks" for lack of a better term, are seen as weird by most of the kids.

4. Honestly, kids are not very accepting of new kids. We had to work very, very hard to be accepted into this area when we moved here. However, it can be done. My son ended up being elected class Vice President our second year here. Generally speaking it is tough to break in. These kids have gone to pre-school and up together and the parents are no different. I have a Mom friend here in town that hates it here because she feels that she was never welcomed and her children were never welcomed. She is from up north and she just approached things the wrong way from the git go and it only takes one misstep with someone in the "in" crowd and you are forever out. People are polite to them, don't get me wrong, but they aren't included.

5. Not sure what you mean by this. There are a ton of experiences here. A lot of the people here have granddaddies that knew their granddaddy and they have worshipped together forever. They have "traded" together forever. I can't tell you the number of times I have been asked my maiden name and where I grew up and who my daddy is! Also, there are "in" churches here and if you are Baptist and your child is at MHS then you better be attending FBC.

6. There are a lot of great youth ministries. Each church has their own and then there is YoungLife. There is no one predominate big youth group. There are a lot of activities in the respective groups.

You will be impressed with your interviews with the school administrations. They put on very good shows. I have absolutely loved my children being in Maryville schools but I do feel that they are on the beginning of a downturn (I have written about this elsewhere on this board). That is my personal opinion based on the change in Superintendents and principals as well as other experiences I have had. My son, however, loves the new Director of Schools as this is the first year in many, many years that school was canceled for weather.

This is a nice place to live and if you do move here immerse yourself 110% in community activities, school activities, a large church, etc. You and your children will do fine. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville