U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2007, 08:13 PM

8 posts, read 26,034 times

Advertisements

Can someone provide me with the "state of the cabin rental market" in gatlinburg? I've considered it.

Secondly, I'm looking for specific community names to look.

I've heard good things and bad. Looking for some honesty. Are there any sleezy realtors to avoid. Send me private response if you don't want to go public.

I live in NC.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2007, 03:21 AM

22,583 posts, read 51,735,426 times
There are a LOT of rental cabins and competition is fierce.

Do it if you want a cabin to enjoy and have a bit of help paying the bills. Remember though, there are a lot of headaches to it. Do you handle the rentals yourself or hire a company?

If you are thinking of renting as a business investment, forget it, you'll be in the red.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:00 PM

111 posts, read 358,517 times
If your considering getting into or buying cabin rentals I have 3 friends that tried it and all but 1 have sold out. They all stated different reasons and all crossed over some same reasons. Bottom line was the aggraviation and money return. If your looking to rent them I can ask some friends of mine where they rent for their anniversary each year.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 4,299 times
I have a cabin, rented very well in 06, not so good in 07, and very slow in 08. If you have a specific location in mind, check out the other cabins in the same area. Go to sites, look at the booking/reservation calendar and you can see the reservations for any cabin....for instance ours has 4 days in May, 3 in June, and one week in July....very very bad for the season.

I am online trying to find ways to market my sites, paying out more money to get on VRBO, ebay, etc. Not a strong time to have a rental in an area that familys DRIVE to their vacations, from Atlanta, Birmingham, etc.

We love our cabin, and are glad to have it, but it is costing us much per month, as rentals are very slow.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:23 PM

396 posts, read 1,249,711 times
Default Groups

There is a yahoo group of Smoky Mtn cabin owners that you might be able to join. Just find the group and email the moderator to see if they are allowing prospective owners to join. I did extensive research into rental cabin ownership and found that it's really tough to break even and cash flow is mostly non-existent. There is such a surplus of cabins and people are slashing rental prices to get bookings. If you can afford to pay for some of the cabin expense yourself, it might be good for you or if you go in on a cabin with family or friends.

LCG

Old 05-10-2008, 11:12 AM

125 posts, read 389,529 times
I believe the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge cabin rental market is hugely oversold right now.

Lots of people bought them and counted on renting them to make their payments and many are not doing that.

Management companies charge a commission between 30-50% of the gross rental to handle renting them for absentee owners. Tough to make your payment with fees like that even if you can rent it very often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville