Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 10:45 PM

18 posts, read 42,460 times

Advertisements

I'm happy and excited to announce that my husband and I have made the decision to move from Southwestern Wisconsin to Maryville. My sister-in-law and her husband (a native) currently live there. We visited last April and fell in love with the area! We've thought about this move for almost a year and have finally committed to it.

My husband is a CT and x-ray technician. I am currently a licensed counselor. We both work for the same hospital here. Our hope is that with a lower cost of living and smaller, less expensive home I will be able to either stay home full time or at least part time with our two boys (5 and 2). I am also thinking about pursuing massage therapy for a career and am interested in opportunities there.

We are lucky that we have some family there and they have invited us to stay with them initially when we first move so we don't have the immediate pressure/cost of finding an apartment/home.

We plan to sell most of our large furniture items to limit the amount we have to move/store. We are looking into options for movers.

We also will be putting our house on the market soon and are a little wary about how long it will take to sell with the current market. While the house is up for sale, my husband plans to begin applying for jobs and may move down before me and the boys if he gets a good offer.

This is our first "big move." Any suggestions from people who have done this kind of thing before??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 09:54 AM

2,700 posts, read 3,670,253 times
Welcome to TN and Maryville specifically. We are originally from WI (Door County and Milwaukee) and are leaving hot and humid FL for the cooler, crisper mountain air and scenery. We have a home in the county surrounding Maryville. Just this past week my brother and his family (from WI) visited our home and were 'taken aback' by the breath-taking views and the history-enriched area. Since we have not yet made the permanent move, I cannot give you any specifics regarding moving companies, etc. We are doing our move one truckload at a time. We are readying our home for sale in FL presently. We find the TN surroundings similar to WI (w/o mountains, of course) and the biggest difference would be temps IMO. Only you and your family will know if you have made the right choice by moving to TN. You've said that you do not need to secure housing immediately. Don't worry over selection--there are plenty of choices.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:14 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,373,575 times
Congrat Poohstixx, and welcome to the area. Its great you have family in Maryville, and yes many folks love our country, and being at the base of the Great Smoky Mtns. Your hubby should not have any problem in his field, and if the Blount Memorial is not needing his services, then its easy drive into Knoxville, with plenty of Hospitals to apply with. Good luck, and as other poster stated, you will have no problem finding all kinds of housing, and should also have an easy time renting, or even finding a lease purchase.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:20 PM

8 posts, read 20,841 times
Hi pooh, my wife and I are moving to Knoxville (37920 area) just as soon as our house sells. We're from Milwaukee.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:00 PM

197 posts, read 482,807 times
Hmm, sounds like you have a plan.
I did similar. I put in resumes in Knoxville and started praying.
Then I got hired and I made one call to accept the offer and hung up and picked the phone up to call the Realtor to put the house on the market. But what I did while applying to jobs was to ready the house for sale. Look into PODS. I am a packrat by nature, so I emptied about 75% of my things out of my house and either into a POD or to the goodwill (or garage sale) while applying to jobs. I packed tight, too. That way, I could see the walls, I could go through belongings and decide what to donate or sell and I could stage the house properly. I touched up paint, I mowed, I made it all look perfect - caught up on deferred maintenance - Everything. PODS took away the pod.
When I got my job offer, I moved into corporate housing for 60 days. The house sold. Then I moved into my new house, my company sent movers (and me) to the old house to get my stuff, and PODS sent the POD tot he new house and the movers moved all the stuff from the truck and the POD into the new house.

Worked for me. Just had a lot of boxes... Good Luck!

Old 03-20-2009, 01:31 PM

104 posts, read 292,446 times
Hello,

Oh i am so happy for you its fun, exciting...and such an adventure. I moved from WI about four years ago, i lived there all my life in a small town~we moved to AZ. BUT we have recently made the decision to move to either the Knoxville area or the Chattanooga area...i cannot wait. Its nice that you have some family there, in TN...that will make your transition much easier...AND you will be in much nicer weather...i could never go back to WI again, i dont miss the snow.

Robin

Old 03-23-2009, 07:37 PM

5 posts, read 10,130 times
I am moving to Maryville, TN also! That is funny. Good luck! If you find someone to move your stuff at a decent price please let me know. I am moving in July this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohstixx View Post
I'm happy and excited to announce that my husband and I have made the decision to move from Southwestern Wisconsin to Maryville. My sister-in-law and her husband (a native) currently live there. We visited last April and fell in love with the area! We've thought about this move for almost a year and have finally committed to it.

My husband is a CT and x-ray technician. I am currently a licensed counselor. We both work for the same hospital here. Our hope is that with a lower cost of living and smaller, less expensive home I will be able to either stay home full time or at least part time with our two boys (5 and 2). I am also thinking about pursuing massage therapy for a career and am interested in opportunities there.

We are lucky that we have some family there and they have invited us to stay with them initially when we first move so we don't have the immediate pressure/cost of finding an apartment/home.

We plan to sell most of our large furniture items to limit the amount we have to move/store. We are looking into options for movers.

We also will be putting our house on the market soon and are a little wary about how long it will take to sell with the current market. While the house is up for sale, my husband plans to begin applying for jobs and may move down before me and the boys if he gets a good offer.

This is our first "big move." Any suggestions from people who have done this kind of thing before??

Old 03-23-2009, 07:57 PM

16,174 posts, read 32,327,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyshyanne View Post
I am moving to Maryville, TN also! That is funny. Good luck! If you find someone to move your stuff at a decent price please let me know. I am moving in July this summer.
Kelly,

So glad to hear that you are making the move. Did you find a place to live? Let me know if I can help (not a realtor here).

Old 03-24-2009, 03:48 PM

iplay6strings: nice to hear from you. What careers are you in?

Old 03-24-2009, 03:50 PM

aquarijen: We have begun preping the house for sale. Rented a storage unit right next door for $35 a month. I'm super-cleaning from top to bottom (one room at a time) and packing as much as I can now. It's such a tricky move: finding a job/selling a house, the timing has to be just right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville