Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2012, 06:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,317 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
Been lurking here a week or so and wanted to say hi. Lots of great info here, haven't had a question yet because everything I want to know I find with a search. Lived in Fl. most of my life and I have wanted to move to Tn. for years, I think next year when school lets out (don't want to move my son mid year) were going to make the move. So just lots of research this year. So far this site has been the best resource.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 06:28 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
Hi All,
Been lurking here a week or so and wanted to say hi. Lots of great info here, haven't had a question yet because everything I want to know I find with a search. Lived in Fl. most of my life and I have wanted to move to Tn. for years, I think next year when school lets out (don't want to move my son mid year) were going to make the move. So just lots of research this year. So far this site has been the best resource.
Thanks.
Folks that are natives of Florida or lived there for a very long time seem to do very well around here. In any event, thanks for stopping and saying, "Hi!"

Old 07-16-2012, 06:38 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
Hi All,
Thanks.
Hi and Welcome! Love your screen name!

Old 08-23-2012, 09:17 PM

23 posts, read 26,440 times
Default Remember!

Anyone remember McAnally flats, or the old Comer's pool hall on Gay street,the old Southern circle drive in, or the Blue Circle? How about the old Fountain city skating rink, or the Pike and Tower theaters? Long time ago, but it seems like yesterday.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:06 PM

16 posts, read 21,682 times
[quote=nashvols;24849690]Well my funny meter isn't.[/quote

I do like that fact that your 'funny meter' is in working order

Wit and humor is linked to higher intelligence! Yeah boy, gotta lighten things up and have a laugh.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:45 PM

3 posts, read 3,819 times
Another longtime lurker coming out to say hello and thanks for all the great info I've found here.

I'm moving to Knoxville from West Virginia at the end of the month to start a new job. So far I love the vibe of the city and people seem great. I'm coming from a much smaller city, so I'm looking forward to all the things to do and resources there (art movies! music! coffeehouses!) My last trip I stopped in Three Rivers Market and was thrilled to find such a great local co-op.

I have a short-term lease on a tiny apartment off Inskip Road while I'm looking for something more permanent. I love the look of Old North & the adjacent neighborhoods, Park Ridge, etc. They're a lot like my current neighborhood - an old-fashioned city neighborhood, affordable, diverse in terms of architecture and people, close to everything, access to public transportation, plus trees and parks and front porches and dog-walking sidewalks. Parts of South Knoxville seem appealing too, good terrain for a former West Virginian. But I'm not sure about taking on a house and yard and all that at this point in my life (single woman in my 50s, definitely moving into the downsizing years). A condo might be a good solution, if I could find one that doesn't have row after row of identical units jammed together...anyway, I've got some time to look and debate with myself. While I wasn't posting to particularly ask for advice I'll be happy to hear any thoughts or suggestions.

Mostly, though, just thanks! I've gained a wealth of knowledge on these boards.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:47 AM

I was very embarrassed by the behavior last night before and after the game at Neyland Stadium of both City of Knoxville and Knox County cops. The nasty comments toward innocent fans that were going about their business in a respectful way was ridiculous. On several occasions I heard various ones yelling at people about where they were walking or such not only telling them not to stand or cross in a certain place but then to follow it up with "What part of this don't you understand dummy?" or "I've told you this before (speaking to a crowd that wasn't the same people as a few minutes ago), can't you comprehend simple instructions"? Kudos to the one lady (mid 30's) that actually said to the one "Why can't you be nice?" For sure there were some nice ones I saw but the whole vibe from the most of them was most unfortunate. It doesn't have to be like that. And then there is the Vol Walk frenzy. They were especially rude to people at Circle Park. There were very nice families there, who didn't really understand where to stand or what was going on, and instead of just being told where to not stand they were also berated. These folks have little kids; show a little respect back toward them. They followed instructions, they didn't need the attitude. Don't ruin a big day (where people are laying out serious cash considering the economy) for these families. Memories that last a lifetime were being made and that means these cops played a starring role in them.

And while I am on a roll, they need a 101 class in Traffic Management. My goodness those people don't know how to clear a crowd.

Apologies to the good cops, for I know there are plenty. However, the bad seed "brothers" are what stand out. There was so much of it I have to wonder if they weren't instructed to behave that way by their leadership.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:32 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,070,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
I was very embarrassed by the behavior last night before and after the game at Neyland Stadium of both City of Knoxville and Knox County cops. The nasty comments toward innocent fans that were going about their business in a respectful way was ridiculous. On several occasions I heard various ones yelling at people about where they were walking or such not only telling them not to stand or cross in a certain place but then to follow it up with "What part of this don't you understand dummy?" or "I've told you this before (speaking to a crowd that wasn't the same people as a few minutes ago), can't you comprehend simple instructions"? Kudos to the one lady (mid 30's) that actually said to the one "Why can't you be nice?" For sure there were some nice ones I saw but the whole vibe from the most of them was most unfortunate. It doesn't have to be like that. And then there is the Vol Walk frenzy. They were especially rude to people at Circle Park. There were very nice families there, who didn't really understand where to stand or what was going on, and instead of just being told where to not stand they were also berated. These folks have little kids; show a little respect back toward them. They followed instructions, they didn't need the attitude. Don't ruin a big day (where people are laying out serious cash considering the economy) for these families. Memories that last a lifetime were being made and that means these cops played a starring role in them.

And while I am on a roll, they need a 101 class in Traffic Management. My goodness those people don't know how to clear a crowd.

Apologies to the good cops, for I know there are plenty. However, the bad seed "brothers" are what stand out. There was so much of it I have to wonder if they weren't instructed to behave that way by their leadership.
I think a letter to the Chief of police is in order to get their attention....

Old 09-16-2012, 11:34 AM

1,285 posts, read 2,356,597 times
I agree Bones. That makes the dept look bad and causes people to lose respect for them as a whole.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:42 AM

I am considering contacting both Mayor's offices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville