Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2014, 11:33 AM

745 posts, read 1,710,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Are you coming down now? It's brutally cold and about to get worse. Bear in mind that people up north got it much worse when we think it is cold.

Anyway, it is supposed to get up to 43 today and 50 tomorrow but come Monday and Tuesday, highs during the DAY will be ONE and 17. That hasn't happened here in years.
As a matter of fact, it hasn't happened since January 23, 2003, when the high was only 18, that sandwiched around higher temps on the days before and after. Currently, 01/04, Channel 10 is predicting a high of 21 and 23 on Monday and Tuesday respectively, while Channel 8 is predicting only 19 and 18. Two consecutive days that cold would be highly unusual. January of 2010, If I remember correctly, was about the seventh coldest January ever, or close to it, and even then it wasn't that cold on two consecutive days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 04:24 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,876,897 times
Quote:
Are you coming down now? It's brutally cold and about to get worse. Bear in mind that people up north got it much worse when we think it is cold.

Anyway, it is supposed to get up to 43 today and 50 tomorrow but come Monday and Tuesday, highs during the DAY will be ONE and 17. That hasn't happened here in years.
We'll be there Tuesday, sounds like it's going to be interesting. Just as a side note we lived in NW Montana for about 10 years so cold is nothing new, we've still got all of our chilly weather gear.
The great part for y'all is it doesn't last for months on end, I'll bet we'll be out of our heavy coats before we leave.
Hope everyone has their pipes wrapped or water dripping and whatever plants they want to survive lit up and covered!

Old 01-04-2014, 05:31 PM

745 posts, read 1,710,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
We'll be there Tuesday, sounds like it's going to be interesting. Just as a side note we lived in NW Montana for about 10 years so cold is nothing new, we've still got all of our chilly weather gear.
The great part for y'all is it doesn't last for months on end, I'll bet we'll be out of our heavy coats before we leave.
Hope everyone has their pipes wrapped or water dripping and whatever plants they want to survive lit up and covered!
No, it doesn't normally last long at all, in fact, the long range forecast for next Saturday is 60. That said, long range forecasting accuracy "can" drop off markedly after about three days, in the wintertime. I think the Monday-Tuesday "really cold" scenario is supposed to be a couple of days.

Old 01-04-2014, 06:23 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,062,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weisgarber1 View Post
As a matter of fact, it hasn't happened since January 23, 2003, when the high was only 18, that sandwiched around higher temps on the days before and after. Currently, 01/04, Channel 10 is predicting a high of 21 and 23 on Monday and Tuesday respectively, while Channel 8 is predicting only 19 and 18. Two consecutive days that cold would be highly unusual. January of 2010, If I remember correctly, was about the seventh coldest January ever, or close to it, and even then it wasn't that cold on two consecutive days.
Oh! You are right! Those are the lows at night.

We might be getting some snow, possibly a few inches from Sunday night to Monday. That, around here, is a blizzard and the grocery store reflected that, tonight. And of course, I was there, too!

Old 01-04-2014, 10:46 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,345,414 times
The Weather Channel has predicted a low Monday night of zero degrees! Bundle up everyone!

Old 01-05-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Oh! You are right! Those are the lows at night.

We might be getting some snow, possibly a few inches from Sunday night to Monday. That, around here, is a blizzard and the grocery store reflected that, tonight. And of course, I was there, too!
That always cracked us up when we lived in various areas of the south. People running to the store/Costco emptying the shelves of bread,milk and cereal like it was going to be a week or two long blizzard instead of a 1 or 2 day event of an inch (or less) of snow. You'd think a gallon or two of milk and maybe a loaf of bread would get everyone through at least 3-4 days unless they're planning on handing out sandwiches and cups of milk to everyone in the neighborhood.
Now I could see a run on coffee and cocoa and maybe some schnapps (of course for medicinal purposes brrrrrr).

I know my wife who loves (loved) the cold is nervous about how she'll feel now that we've lived in AZ for the last 3 years where 60 degrees is considered "freezing" by many (we've been in mid 70's for the last couple of weeks btw)

Old 01-05-2014, 08:53 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,028,230 times
When you live in the boonies....limited trips for groceries is a normal way of life....

Old 01-05-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
When you live in the boonies....limited trips for groceries is a normal way of life....
Absolutely! If you're living more than 5-10 miles from a store on rural roads I understand and I'd do somewhat the same thing. Is that the norm in the Knoxville area? I know it wasn't in all the other areas we've lived.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:46 PM

24,769 posts, read 28,375,304 times
Just shoot it from the back porch..

Old 01-06-2014, 09:16 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,028,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
Just shoot it from the back porch..
Fresh road kill works with high $$$ of ammo....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville