Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2010, 05:39 PM

290 posts, read 763,945 times

Advertisements

Well regardless of her accent, I think she has beautiful eyes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 05:50 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,778,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Maybe it doesn't seem that unusual to me because I used to have a lot of the mountain folks as customers, I guess.

I went back and snuck another listen. After watching the people of Haiti dying, for days, it sure is nice to see someone's dreams come true.

Hik, I come from mountain folks west of Chattanooga on the plateau (though even different areas of the mountains have slight differences). I think that being the type of person that I am and my upbringing, I spent a long time coming to a comfortable place with my heritage. I spent many years as a teenager attempting to "play down" my southern and mountain roots in Farragut, where many of my friends were upper-middle class and not even from the south. My views and politics began to develop a little later and I equated my roots with the negative aspects of being southern. Actually, reading Faulkner, Gay, McCarthy, etc. was very instrumental, I think, in reawakening my cultural pride. Some of the greatest musicians, writers, and intellectuals in our country are southern and proud of it. I am not bound by the negative aspects of southern culture and my roots Maybe Jabo can also relate to what i have said...

Old 01-16-2010, 09:50 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitties of Domination View Post
Hik, I come from mountain folks west of Chattanooga on the plateau (though even different areas of the mountains have slight differences). I think that being the type of person that I am and my upbringing, I spent a long time coming to a comfortable place with my heritage. I spent many years as a teenager attempting to "play down" my southern and mountain roots in Farragut, where many of my friends were upper-middle class and not even from the south. My views and politics began to develop a little later and I equated my roots with the negative aspects of being southern. Actually, reading Faulkner, Gay, McCarthy, etc. was very instrumental, I think, in reawakening my cultural pride. Some of the greatest musicians, writers, and intellectuals in our country are southern and proud of it. I am not bound by the negative aspects of southern culture and my roots Maybe Jabo can also relate to what i have said...
And I can tell. That's why I like you, and Jab, too!

I think that's why I like so many folks on the Knoxville forum. They are so happy to be who they are, and not put on airs. There are a lot of people around me, not on the forum, that are the same way, too! I live in a neighborhood of locals.

I just get upset when some folks try to cover it up. I also feel sad when people come to this area and stereotype, too. It works both ways.

It was great to see those judges, and the world, fall in love with her the way I fell in love with the people here.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
And I can tell. That's why I like you, and Jab, too!

I think that's why I like so many folks on the Knoxville forum. They are so happy to be who they are, and not put on airs. There are a lot of people around me, not on the forum, that are the same way, too! I live in a neighborhood of locals.

I just get upset when some folks try to cover it up. I also feel sad when people come to this area and stereotype, too. It works both ways.

It was great to see those judges, and the world, fall in love with her the way I fell in love with the people here.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:16 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,347,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitties of Domination View Post
KOD,

I think you are lucky to have a heritage to be proud of. I can't claim a heritage, area or family to be proud of, or even belong to. So to me moving here and finding people who are comfortable with who they are and not living life as something they are not, I fit right in. For the first time in my life, I finally feel at home and feel accepted and comfortable.
Pam

Old 01-17-2010, 07:58 AM

6,196 posts, read 5,443,053 times
Well I am a cross breed and it doesnt matter where I go, I will be asked where are you from? Momma was from way north and dad was Tn...I claim TN as my home. I grew up with two totally different cultures, the best of both.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the painter View Post
Well I am a cross breed and it doesnt matter where I go, I will be asked where are you from? Momma was from way north and dad was Tn...I claim TN as my home. I grew up with two totally different cultures, the best of both.

You claim the "good" side

Old 01-30-2010, 08:43 AM

Jumped in to see if there was any weather chatter...curious on how much snow you all got .... ? Saw where Nashville got 6"...........

Old 01-30-2010, 09:29 AM

745 posts, read 1,718,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the painter View Post
Jumped in to see if there was any weather chatter...curious on how much snow you all got .... ? Saw where Nashville got 6"...........
It varied over the county, here in Karns about 2.5-3 inches. Up north around the Tn./Ky. state line they got bombed with about 8 inches. Also down south in McMinn and Monroe Counties they got about 5 inches. Some of the snowfall was compacted by rain. Virginia apparently was going to get the worst of it, and North Carolina had a problem with freezing rain and snow, according to the Weather Channel.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:49 AM

I was thinking about the cold and snow while out in the barn with our whoppin' 44 degrees, rain and wind. One of those moments when I thought to myself about how much I hated putting blankets on the horses everynight and then fighting to take them off...yep move back to Tn and have to do it again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville