Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2007, 08:14 AM

5 posts, read 14,140 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Well, I have some questions, but I'm not sure if anyone will be able to help me with specifics (since the question is rather specific). I currently live in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. I recently took a trip down to TN to visit a friend. My friend lives in a town called Kodak, which is rather close to Gatlinburg. I loved TN, it was so beautiful and the weather was GREAT (I escaped freezing temperatures from PA, and went to a 70 degree atmosphere!).

I recently graduated from college with a degree in biology, and I was giving TN some serious thought for two reasons. First, as I explained, I love the atmosphere and location (not too busy, but close enough to take day trips for excitement). Also, I am thinking of attending the University of Tennessee for graduate school.

My question is this; does anyone happen to know the demand for people with a degree/background in the biological field? I am geared more towards environmental biology, and going to be going to graduate school for Epidemiology.

Thanks for any information you can provide. Also, if there is anything else you think I should really know about I would be grateful, as I only spent about a week in the area.

Also, I don't think I have ever been to a place with so many pancake houses!!! It seemed like there was one on every corner. It made me laugh every time I saw one (after the 20th one I saw).

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 09:21 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
You might want to check out Oak Ridge. They do a lot of different types of research and have lots of labs. There is also the extension offices, I believe every county has one. Look at LauraC 's posts about Oak Ridge, she has given a lot of great info about the area. That would be close enough to Knoxville for a commute to the schools and work (depending on what campus you will be attending)

Old 03-28-2007, 11:08 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsst2 View Post

My question is this; does anyone happen to know the demand for people with a degree/background in the biological field? I am geared more towards environmental biology, and going to be going to graduate school for Epidemiology.

Thanks again!
If you go on the Knoxville Chamber of Commerce Website there is a link to a 69 page workforce study that was published in February. Inside the study, it projects the career fields in 9 counties (Knox and 8 surrounding counties) where there will be a borderline to poor availability of workers --- meaning from the employee's perspective, if you're in one of those fields, you should be in demand job-wise. Further on in the study are the fields where there will be an anticipated demand for workers within the next year, and well as other charts on the fastest growing occupations in the area, projected through 2014.

If you just read the executive summary it 's worth the time for anyone who plans to come to the area to look for work. You need Adobe Acrobat Reader to download and read the study.

It also talks about the various levels of education, skills and experiece that will be needed to fill these jobs...and truthfully, it runs the gamut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville