Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 10:31 PM

27 posts, read 93,154 times

Advertisements

We live in Minnesota , are use to hornets, wasps, yellow jackets , barn spiders and the occasional black widow. Dislike them all, but can deal with it. Very worried about the snakes in the area, biggest I ever seen here is a garden variety. The reason I am asking is kritters always show up where I am. We we told before the 2 visits we made to your beautiful state is , good luck seeing a bear while your there. well we saw a mom and her 2 cubs the first time, and next to our car, the second time a male full grow bear. So how to know what is a safe snake and what is not? and how to get rid of them without having to kill them? DO NOT LIKE SNAKES
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 02:00 AM

391 posts, read 1,358,880 times
Farmer/poet,

Yes, there's snakes in TN, but it depends on some common knowledge of how they live, where they live, and how they react to minimize encounters. If you heavily traffic where they do, chances are increased, and vice versa. Most TN snakes are known as being nonagressive, meaning they will hide and avoid contact if at all possible first, striking as a last measure. Where did you see the two bears? If it was in the wild, state parks or such, then one can expect a much higher frequency of seeing a bear, though general daily encounters with bears are very, very low. Same as snakes, though there's obviously a lot more snakes. Brush piles, old stump holes, large rock crevices in warmer months can spot you a snake, so avoid if possible. If you live in more remote areas with minimal human impact, up your odds.

I understand your dislike, as it's common, though the benefit of snake activity usually far outweighs the dangers. Use the link below to see our dangerous snakes in TN, and how to spot them. Good news is, they're all very distinctive by sight, so being able to determine their threat level is relatively easy. Copperheads have hourglassed backs and often truly have a copper colored head, rattlesnakes live up to their name and usually rattle when near, and cottonmouths (more predominantly west) are very unmistakable.

As far as getting rid of them...try to avoid if at all possible. This is when the highest number of snakes bites occur, in trying to move, transport, or kill. If you walk up on one, simply move back slowly in the same direction, chances are, they'll move in the opposite. I've owned several snakes (8 foot ball python, 6 foot blood python, co-owned a 10 foot burmese python), and good rule of thumb to remember, they can only strike roughly 1/3 of it's body length. So a 6 foot wild snake, very rare in TN, can really only strike a 2-2.5 foot length. Steering clear of a strike zone is typically very likely. If you do find yourself at a close encounter and feel threatend, any long object or stick is your best defense, and your goal is turning the snake in an opposite direction (first 1/3 of it's body) to give enough time to retreat. If you must or feel the need to kill it, aim for the head and head only, a snakes body is very damage resistent. All this said, most snakes will be in the wild. If you do however find a snake in a livable human area, especially with kids around, if it can't be identified, it should always be removed or killed. Contacting a professional is your best bet if you have time, or a shot gun works well to do the job! But again, their natural value and purpose is great, so this is always my last option. If your sceenname suggests you will be farming or living on one, then up your odds of seeing a snake, though the majority will be harmless. Corn snakes and gray rat snakes will be definitely your largest you're likely to see and at glance can appear menacing. Corn snakes are very docile to humans, and often a farmer's best friend, or well raised pet for the adventurous youngster. They keep all the annoying critters out from eating crops, so be nice to corn snakes!

Poisonous:
Snakes of Tennessee
All snakes:
SNAKES OF TENNESSEE

Last edited by Servpro Will; 04-08-2009 at 02:29 AM..

Old 04-08-2009, 04:20 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,484,116 times
Here are some previous threads regarding snakes; there are more that can be seen utilizing the Advanced Search feature and looking in Tennessee:

//www.city-data.com/forum/tenne...ghlight=Snakes

//www.city-data.com/forum/nashv...ghlight=Snakes

//www.city-data.com/forum/kings...ghlight=Snakes

//www.city-data.com/forum/chatt...ghlight=Snakes

//www.city-data.com/forum/tenne...ghlight=Snakes

Old 04-08-2009, 06:26 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
I wanted to see what one of those friendly corn snakes looked like so I found this. They are very pretty!

Corn Snake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-08-2009, 12:12 PM

431 posts, read 1,219,296 times
Default I wouldn't worry too much.

The only ones I've ever seen in my yard have been black snakes---and that has been maybe 3 in my lifetime. I am 30.

My husband saw a corn snake up at his dad's barn. He ran over a black snake once while mowing hay.

Someone at the picnic table near us saw a very small watter moccasin (I think ?) around a creek a few years ago up at Eastman picnic area. They said it was venemous. I didn't go near !!

My sister in law has a creek in her yard and sees a lot of snakes. One of my clients has a creek, same scenario.

I guess what I am saying is that I would not own home with a creek running through the yard.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:43 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,803,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGal78 View Post
Someone at the picnic table near us saw a very small watter moccasin (I think ?) around a creek a few years ago up at Eastman picnic area. They said it was venemous. I didn't go near !!
FWIW, water moccasins (i.e., cottonmouths) aren't found in East TN. Many people here -- even natives -- don't know that and they think all water snakes are cottonmouths.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:00 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,314,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I wanted to see what one of those friendly corn snakes looked like so I found this. They are very pretty!

Corn Snake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
ok...I am sorry, but I have to jump in here...did you really just use the words "snake" and "pretty" in correlation to each other??? I don't care what colors a snake has, they maybe be neat, or wild looking or some other adjective, but you just can not say a snake is pretty! Hahahahhahaha

Old 04-08-2009, 03:45 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
ok...I am sorry, but I have to jump in here...did you really just use the words "snake" and "pretty" in correlation to each other??? I don't care what colors a snake has, they maybe be neat, or wild looking or some other adjective, but you just can not say a snake is pretty! Hahahahhahaha
But it IS. Well, I mean as far as snakes go!

Doesn't mean I want to go meet one and shakes hands or anything.

(Thank goodness that snakes don't have hands.)

Old 04-08-2009, 07:58 PM

431 posts, read 1,219,296 times
Default Thanks for that info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoshika View Post
FWIW, water moccasins (i.e., cottonmouths) aren't found in East TN. Many people here -- even natives -- don't know that and they think all water snakes are cottonmouths.

I stand corrected---and I am glad for that info.

I do know that my sis in law and my client have a lot of snakes near the creeks in their yards, though.

I guess whoever identified the snake at the Eastman picnic ground/creek was mistaken.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:10 PM

188 posts, read 567,090 times
I have been here for three years now... almost to the day... and I have seen only one tiny snake since being here.

Frankly, I'd love to see some snakes around, but have been disappointed. I live in a heavily wooded, older neighborhood, and have yet to see a corn snake or any other snake other than the little garden snake.... and I actively look for them!

William Sold, I'm impressed with your snake talk details.

I'd say leave every snake alone. Of course, I can't resist trying to catch them just to goof around, but then I put them right back.

BF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville