U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2009, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,860 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am planning on visiting Gatlinburg to see the beautiful fall foliage. I visited during the week of November 13, 2007 and the fall colors were awesome. Then last year, I arrived on November 8, 2008, and I just missed the peak. The leaves had already fallen off the trees and the beautiful colors were gone.

My question is this.....should I plan to arrive this year during the weekend of October 23rd or arrive on November 11th? I don't want to miss the rich foliage in November, but on the other hand, I am afraid that October 23rd might be too early for the city of Gatlinburg. The chalet that I stay in is not very high, and right above the city. I know that I can travel into the park (which I am definitely planning to do!), but I would love for the leaves to have already changed near the chalet as well (instead of having to travel to higher elevations).

Do you have any advice/suggestions for me? What weekend would you visit? Normally, when does Gatlinburg experience the rich colors? Thank you so much for your help!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 12:03 PM

13,025 posts, read 37,085,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieMay29 View Post
Hi! I am planning on visiting Gatlinburg to see the beautiful fall foliage. I visited during the week of November 13, 2007 and the fall colors were awesome. Then last year, I arrived on November 8, 2008, and I just missed the peak. The leaves had already fallen off the trees and the beautiful colors were gone.

My question is this.....should I plan to arrive this year during the weekend of October 23rd or arrive on November 11th? I don't want to miss the rich foliage in November, but on the other hand, I am afraid that October 23rd might be too early for the city of Gatlinburg. The chalet that I stay in is not very high, and right above the city. I know that I can travel into the park (which I am definitely planning to do!), but I would love for the leaves to have already changed near the chalet as well (instead of having to travel to higher elevations).

Do you have any advice/suggestions for me? What weekend would you visit? Normally, when does Gatlinburg experience the rich colors? Thank you so much for your help!!
Maybe someone else can answer this for you, but unless they have a crystal ball I cannot imagine how anyone can tell you what weekend will be the best to see fall colors. As you noticed, it changes from year to year. Our fall weather around here can be pretty fickle (like our spring weather) and there are all kinds of variables at play.

If you can hold off on making your reservations for another few months you can probably get better answers. I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

If it's any consolation, those of us who live here wish we knew from year to year when the fall colors will peak!

Old 04-11-2009, 12:30 PM

391 posts, read 1,275,752 times
As JMT said, predicting the fall color change is about as easy as picking a Kentucky Derby trifecta. Looking at the last 100 years or so, it looks like if I had to pick one, I'd pick late October.
Fall Foliage in Tennessee - Typical Peak Fall Foliage Time Periods - Resources for Finding the Best Fall Color
Apparently, this site gives fall foliage reports too when the time comes.
http://gosoutheast.about.com/gi/dyna...nvacation.com/

Old 04-11-2009, 12:46 PM

16,078 posts, read 30,532,791 times
Up until two years ago I could have told you with pretty good accuracy. The weather has been so strange the last few years.

You can still be pretty safe around Halloween. Don't hold me to it though.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:48 PM

2,060 posts, read 6,382,102 times
Not that I have much experience yet, but it seems that when we have a summer drought, it can delay the colors by a week or two. But I think November is too late. I think you'd be pretty safe Oct 24-31 like SMG said.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:16 AM
BST

451 posts, read 1,133,885 times
Checking the football schedule...Oct. 23-25 is an away game weekend for Tennessee. Vacancies are more likely that weekend than Halloween or the next week (both home games). Although you can get accommodations this far in advance regardless of which date you choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville