Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 10:31 PM

611 posts, read 1,458,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Not among the people in my circle. Most people I know get to Turkey Creek via Lovell Road and refer to it as West Knoxville, not Farragut.
That's odd. Still, splitting hairs.

Quote:
Besides, there's not a heck of a lot more in Turkey Creek than what's available in Maryville/Alcoa. While Turkey Creek has done a good job marketing itself and is located right on the busiest freeway in the area, new shopping centers and big box stores have been quietly springing up around Maryville/Alcoa at a very impressive rate. There's really not much difference between the two areas anymore.
I'd guess Turkey Creek is a fair amount more popular, but it's more established as a shopping/entertainment haven, so I guess that makes sense.

Quote:
And I'd still rather send my kids to Maryville HS than Farragut HS.
Yeah, I probably could've guessed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 06:46 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,776,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatTNGuy View Post
I think it's fair to say, however, that Farragut's baseball and soccer programs are some of the top programs in the state. Their baseball program just won its third state championship in a row, and their soccer program has something like four titles in the past decade. The football team always seems to do well, but they never get over the hump in the playoffs. Nevertheless, FHS has some pretty good sports programs. That was one thing that really stood out to me when I moved here.

This assessment would mean more to me as a parent relocating with older children already involved in sports - if other things were equal like commuting and cost of housing. We know people who moved from out of state to Farragagut who are quite happy with the schools and sports, but then again the same can be said for the people we meet around here with kids in Maryville. I have no axe to grind as I don't need to worry about cool stores and best team bragging rights, and don't have a home to sell.

So is Turkey Creek the "cooler store" place or is there something actually in Farragut I don't know about?? Since I've moved to the area I've been asked if I've been to Turkey Creek up in West Knoxville ( but no one ever says go up to Farragut) for shopping. I think those that live in Farragut see it as an extension of Farragut because it is on the border and those living outside of Farragut see it as being West Knox. It's that perspective thing again, just as Beretta says.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:53 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times
It's nice that we can discuss which area is a tad nicer; Maryville, Farragut, West Knox. In a lot of these forums they are discussing which place is less icky, the lesser of all evils.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
This assessment would mean more to me as a parent relocating with older children already involved in sports - if other things were equal like commuting and cost of housing. We know people who moved from out of state to Farragagut who are quite happy with the schools and sports, but then again the same can be said for the people we meet around here with kids in Maryville. I have no axe to grind as I don't need to worry about cool stores and best team bragging rights, and don't have a home to sell.
It goes without saying that both are great schools. Some people around here seem to have the perception that everyone in Farragut is like our friend UT lover, which is definitely not the case. I'm just here to try and provide a reasonable point of view.

Quote:
So is Turkey Creek the "cooler store" place or is there something actually in Farragut I don't know about?? Since I've moved to the area I've been asked if I've been to Turkey Creek up in West Knoxville ( but no one ever says go up to Farragut) for shopping. I think those that live in Farragut see it as an extension of Farragut because it is on the border and those living outside of Farragut see it as being West Knox. It's that perspective thing again, just as Beretta says.
I mean, Turkey Creek is "cool" in that it's got a ton of shopping packed into a pretty small area, but I'm not sure what "cooler store place" is supposed to mean. It's got way too many stores to name, and some of them are indeed pretty cool, but I don't know that it's got many unique stores that you wouldn't be able to find anywhere else. The theater is definitely unique, though - one of the nicest theaters I've been to.

And yes, I suppose different people refer to Turkey Creek's location in different ways. In "my circle" (as we're calling it), it's in Farragut.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:13 PM

950 posts, read 3,190,179 times
Farragut is not that big. I believe Farragut stops somewhere in between Grassy Valley Baptist Church (on the slope) and the Franklin Square shopping center, both on Kingston Pike.

A small portion of Parkside is in Farragut, the rest is in west Knoxville.

Anyway back to topic, Farragut HS has always been overrated.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:35 PM

187 posts, read 460,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Farragut is not that big. I believe Farragut stops somewhere in between Grassy Valley Baptist Church (on the slope) and the Franklin Square shopping center, both on Kingston Pike.

A small portion of Parkside is in Farragut, the rest is in west Knoxville.

Anyway back to topic, Farragut HS has always been overrated.

Thank you..I agree that FHS is overrated and people from Knox knows this and knows why it is overrated...Its a good school,Don't get me wrong,But it def doesn't deserve as much praise as it receives...And you really wanna be tech about everything...3/4ths of Turkey Creek is actually in West Knox,But thats not really saying much cause its all still Knox County

Old 07-23-2010, 07:29 AM

610 posts, read 1,623,047 times
Just putting in my 2 cents...The sign on Parkside going west, about a fourth of a mile from Campbell Station that says "Welcome to the city of Farragut" definitely tells me Turkey Creek is West Knoxville, not Farragut. The city of Farragut did not put up the money for the boom that is TC.
I think both M'ville and Farragut are both great schools, I just prefer to be closer to the action (lakes, more unique shopping, downtown Knox), so I would live in Farragut. If you live in Alcoa or South Knox, these are just as accessble, but the actual Maryville is much farther away.
But I'll say there is a certain propriety air that Farragut people seem to adopt that is very unattractive. My parents live off Choto and are zoned for FHS and they fought tooth and nail for my sister to not attend FHS for this reason. We believe WHS and BHS are much better, as far as diversity with the education.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:36 AM

Wow.

Did any of the folks talking badly about Farragut High School actually go there?

Old 07-23-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaguy83 View Post
Thank you..I agree that FHS is overrated and people from Knox knows this and knows why it is overrated...Its a good school,Don't get me wrong,But it def doesn't deserve as much praise as it receives...
I'd be interested in hearing exactly why it's overrated, actually. It seems quite a few members here share that opinion, so feel free to elaborate. I'm asking honestly, too. I graduated from FHS, and I had a very good experience there overall.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:11 PM

187 posts, read 460,105 times
I didn't go to Farragut personally..I went to Karns(which yeah i know isn't much better either)...I worked with alot of people who did go to FHS tho and from what i heard FHS was pretty overcrowded and it was basically the haves versus the have nots and keeping up with Jones's so to say...Most kids there were/are pretty well off and the ones who had to work were kinda looked down upon is what i gathered...I also heard that the more "popular" kids got more special treatments from teachers so that FHS overall could keep there good overall academic school ratings...There were some kids i went to Karns with that transferred to Karns cause they said they didn't like FHS or didn't fit in there at all...I believe FHS overall is a good school,But just not as good as alot of people says it is,And the rankings as well...So yeah i would say that FHS is overrated in some ways...An average Joe student/kid would not fit in all that well at FHS is what i'm trying to say i guess
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville