Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 01:41 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times

Advertisements

Badbird, come downtown. There are lots of local restaurants and more opening all the time. It's great.

I'm not a fan of chains but they are fine -- sometimes more than fine -- in a pinch. I don't mind them as long as there are other choices. I remember when we first moved here it seemed like the only choices were chains. Not true, but it seemed that way. We've come a long way since.

Florida has a lot of chains, too. Knoxville is at the point where they do have more local establishments per capita than Fort Myers or Orlando, Florida. Wild guess, but I bet I'm correct. I grew up in an area of the northeast where there are not only not a lot of chains but they are purposefully blocked from opening.

Back to the topic at hand, here's a link for Trader Joe's for anyone interested in their offerings. I've never been in one, either. Trader Joe's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 08:07 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,357,007 times
I used to go to Trader Joe's in NY. It was either that or a Whole Foods in my neighborhood so I chose the cheaper one.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:37 PM

20 posts, read 31,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
That sounds like a definite!

Regarding Cheddar's, there is one on Clinton Highway and it is always packed, and I do mean "always." I've never been but I've checked their menu and I don't get it. Nothing pops out at me as being different than anywhere else.
Cheddar's Baked Spasagna (Spaghetti layered with various cheeses and baked and then topped with homemade meat or marinara sauce. Served with warm garlic bread) is to die for! They also have an awesome Hawaiian Chicken Salad with honey lime dressing. The dressing is better than anything I have ever tasted before. They also have excellent steaks. You have got to eat there!

Old 08-23-2011, 10:56 AM

Its been confirmed.

Trader Joe's confirms Knoxville rumors | Property Scope | knoxnews.com

Old 08-23-2011, 02:14 PM

621 posts, read 1,615,436 times
hiknapster, we eat downtown as often as we can, actually! Love Cafe' 4, Oodles Uncorked, NIght Owl Cafe in Old City... great burgers!

Now, if they ever decide to life the ban on wine in grocery stores, we could actually buy the wine Trader Joes sells..

Old 08-23-2011, 05:55 PM

There is a possibility that Trader Joe's will have a separate store for their wine. Not sure if I want to pursue questioning them or just wait and see.

Glad to see you are going downtown to eat! Bella Luna just opened on Market Square but I haven't tried it yet.

Six years ago there was a fraction of the local eateries we now have, especially in the downtown area. And ten years ago there was even less. At one time we were one of a handful of places with the most chain restaurants per capita. So there are still a lot around. Thank goodness we have far more alternatives now.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:44 AM

621 posts, read 1,615,436 times
Oh for sure. Our first night in town for my wifes interview back in August of 2008 we stayed just across from Worlds Fair Park at the 4 points by Sheraton.. walked over to Oodle Uncorked and had a great meal. Next night we ate at the Brewery on Gay Street... pretty much sold us on moving here. Downtown Tampa rolls up the sidewalks after 5 pm... only people left are the homeless..
I was very impressed with Knoxville and it's downtown.. and it's still growing, but at a pace that can be sustained.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:54 PM

152 posts, read 332,939 times
I can't wait for TJ's to get here. Even if i have to drive right out to Kingston Pike to go shop.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:11 PM

152 posts, read 332,939 times
anyone heard when TJs is opening ?

Old 01-10-2012, 04:00 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,299,067 times
There must be something going on, because the site is still in the same state of construction as it was several months ago. They tore down the existing building, and thats about where its at now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville