Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 07:56 AM

9 posts, read 18,783 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I'm going to be moving from Blacksburg, VA in July to start PhD classes at UT. I'm looking to buy a house, and I've already started talking to a broker and a realtor, but I seem to be having some problems so I was hoping someone on the forums might be able to help.

I've found plenty of houses in my price range, the trouble is finding a good neighborhood. By "good" I mean safe and quiet -- anything else I can deal with. I have friends who have tried to help me, but I don't know the area well enough to know where certain neighborhoods begin and end. I was told to stay away from Mechanicsville and Lonsdale, anything downtown, and anything near Central or Magnolia. To me, it looked like anything within that big loop of highways was no good. To complicate things, my realtor has only shown me listings in Maryville and Alcoa, which my friend told me was at least an hour outside of town. I don't mind a drive, but I'd prefer to keep it under a half hour if possible.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 07:59 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVDiamond View Post
Hi there! I'm going to be moving from Blacksburg, VA in July to start PhD classes at UT. I'm looking to buy a house, and I've already started talking to a broker and a realtor, but I seem to be having some problems so I was hoping someone on the forums might be able to help.

I've found plenty of houses in my price range, the trouble is finding a good neighborhood. By "good" I mean safe and quiet -- anything else I can deal with. I have friends who have tried to help me, but I don't know the area well enough to know where certain neighborhoods begin and end. I was told to stay away from Mechanicsville and Lonsdale, anything downtown, and anything near Central or Magnolia. To me, it looked like anything within that big loop of highways was no good. To complicate things, my realtor has only shown me listings in Maryville and Alcoa, which my friend told me was at least an hour outside of town. I don't mind a drive, but I'd prefer to keep it under a half hour if possible.

Any suggestions?
Depending on where you are in Alcoa or Maryville your commute drive will be 12-20 miles tops. This can mean 12 to 45 minutes depending on the time of day. This is not a bad commute time in this area. If you can tell us your price range and other specifics we will be glad to help. Btw, Go Hokies! Welcome to the forum.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:33 AM

thanks SmokyMntGal! I've been playing fast and loose with the price range -- the broker hasn't nailed down anything specific yet, but he said he thinks he can get me approved for *maybe* up to 70K. I'd like to stay closer to 60k if at all possible.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:56 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
thanks SmokyMntGal! I've been playing fast and loose with the price range -- the broker hasn't nailed down anything specific yet, but he said he thinks he can get me approved for *maybe* up to 70K. I'd like to stay closer to 60k if at all possible.
There are some great folks on this board that can help you. I am not in real estate but I would say to look at Alcoa or North Knoxville. I am sure some others will chime in to be of assistance.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:32 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Okay. I'll chime in. I think your friends gave you pretty good advice, but they did NOT say anything within the loop is bad. In other words, take their advice, but there are plenty of nice places in the loop, just stay away from the areas that they told you.

To make it even easier, I would say to go up through North Broadway. I see several homes that are $65,000 and under. That area is nice, convenient to UT and one of our "regulars" on this board lives there and works at the college.

Using this link will make it much easier.

Map Search

Old 05-09-2009, 12:15 PM

Thanks a bunch! I noticed after I posted that I had been reading the map wrong and was mistaken about where I thought Mechanicsville is , so I think I'm back in business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Okay. I'll chime in. I think your friends gave you pretty good advice, but they did NOT say anything within the loop is bad. In other words, take their advice, but there are plenty of nice places in the loop, just stay away from the areas that they told you.

To make it even easier, I would say to go up through North Broadway. I see several homes that are $65,000 and under. That area is nice, convenient to UT and one of our "regulars" on this board lives there and works at the college.

Using this link will make it much easier.

Map Search

Old 05-09-2009, 02:40 PM

25 posts, read 72,072 times
Quote:
Thanks a bunch! I noticed after I posted that I had been reading the map wrong and was mistaken about where I thought Mechanicsville is , so I think I'm back in business.
Welcome to the Forums! I am in the same situation but my range is a little higher. So far it has been a nightmare finding the right real estate agent. Everyone appears to be in for a "quick buck" which is kind of sad.

Have you looked at homes in North Knoxville?

Old 05-09-2009, 03:05 PM

I'm surprised. I absolutely loved my agent. She is one of the kindest people I have ever met. I still correspond with her, and would of attended her baby shower if I didn't have another obligation. Also, there is a fabulous agent on this forum. Nice guy that is extremely intelligent.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:00 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
You might need to find a new realtor, one with broader horizons. You will get more house for your money in Knoxville, plus you will be much closer to UT. There are some dicey areas off central, but it gets better closer to broadway and there are some nice streets right up to Central. Old North Knoxville is VERY nice (but more expensive than 75K). You might consider South Knoxville as well. There are a few dicey areas but mostly safe and quiet. Very convenient to UT.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
You might need to find a new realtor, one with broader horizons. You will get more house for your money in Knoxville, plus you will be much closer to UT. There are some dicey areas off central, but it gets better closer to broadway and there are some nice streets right up to Central. Old North Knoxville is VERY nice (but more expensive than 75K). You might consider South Knoxville as well. There are a few dicey areas but mostly safe and quiet. Very convenient to UT.
creeksitter is right. There are options there, too. I'm not wild about the schools in that section of town, so I bought in Fountain City, instead. But if you don't care about schools, it is a wonderful choice. Also, we have a new superintendent, so the school situation could change.

Anyone looking for a house on a very strict budget needs to call my agent. She is not afraid to show houses at a VERY low asking price. I bought for $120,000 (my choice) but she shows houses that are much lower. She is a kind soul, not out for the money and just wants you to find your perfect house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville