Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 06:48 PM

83 posts, read 274,946 times

Advertisements

Thanks. We have driven around several areas on 5 different visits. First is was Blount or Loudon Counties, then we drove ALL around Union County and Knox. We liked Douglas and Cherokee Lake area. My brother-in-law went to Carson-Newman and he liked the area, so that is why we thought we would look into Jefferson City. We do definetly plan on renting for 6 months, I personally am MOST INTERESTED in a better school for my 13 year old boy. My husband will need a good community college too. Knoxville seems to have some bad areas to it? Much like Orlando..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 07:21 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathdawn View Post
Thanks. We have driven around several areas on 5 different visits. First is was Blount or Loudon Counties, then we drove ALL around Union County and Knox. We liked Douglas and Cherokee Lake area. My brother-in-law went to Carson-Newman and he liked the area, so that is why we thought we would look into Jefferson City. We do definetly plan on renting for 6 months, I personally am MOST INTERESTED in a better school for my 13 year old boy. My husband will need a good community college too. Knoxville seems to have some bad areas to it? Much like Orlando..
Not like Orlando. I use to live there back in 1996-97. And I know that area is much worse now.

We have a small "bad area" that's in east Knoxville around Magnolia Avenue and then another small area that's called Mechanicsville or Lonsdale. It's just west of I-275, but within I-640. Both areas are NOTHING like the bad areas of Orlando. No south OBT here.

A couple of years ago I went down Magnolia to get something to eat and I was terrified after experiencing a lot of the scary Orlando areas. I kept saying, "This is it?"

Old 06-14-2009, 10:03 PM

32 posts, read 82,449 times
We moved to Jefferson City last July and here is what we have learned.

1. If you do not attend church regularly you will find it hard to meet people.

2. Finding an apt is difficult unless you are living in the area. The ones that do advertise are mostly run down or bug infested. The rent is relatively high in Jefferson City because of the college and most landlords are used to renting to college students and don't worry about taking care of their places. They may look nice on the out side but beware of the critters that are crawling around inside.

3. Shopping is pretty limited to Lowes or Walmart. Otherwise you will have to go to Knoxville or Morristown. This did not bother me because where we came from driving in the city took just as much time to go shopping. Here I can get to either city fairly easily and find exactly what I'm looking for. Knoxville has everything you need.

4. Dandridge seems to be more accepting of outsiders. People in Jefferson City have no problem letting you know they don't appreciate you coming in and taking their jobs, even though we were retired.

5. Jefferson County just built a new high school and their residents are very supportive of the schools. As far as the quality of education I can't attest to that.

6. If I had it to do over again I would probably look more in Roane county or that side of Knoxville. The people we have met from that area and those I have met from Knoxville itself are definitely more accepting of transplants.

Moderator cut: deleted

I still think that Tennesseans are the nicest people I have ever met. I just would forewarn those moving to rural East Tenn to be very careful with their decision. We have moved to several different areas thru out our adult life and this is by far the hardest area to be accepted by people.

Last edited by Beretta; 06-15-2009 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: sorry, competitors aren't allowed

Old 06-15-2009, 07:24 AM

745 posts, read 1,718,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgaff57 View Post
We have moved to several different areas thru out our adult life and this is by far the hardest area to be accepted by people.

That is probably an individual perception
, but Jefferson County has grown tremendously the last couple of census', and people there probably see their environment and lifestyle changing in ways they don't particularly appreciate. It was always a laid-back lifestyle and growth changes that.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:25 PM

Thank you for the input. We do plan on attending a church every Sunday and that is part of the reason we picked the area. We also plan on renting a house due to our kids and animals. We are not however being closed minded on specifically Jefferson City. We plan on staying in the Cherokee area for a few weeks to find something more permit. We plan on leaving Orlando July 20. Thank you again to everyone on this wonderful site.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:50 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weisgarber1 View Post

That is probably an individual perception
, but Jefferson County has grown tremendously the last couple of census', and people there probably see their environment and lifestyle changing in ways they don't particularly appreciate. It was always a laid-back lifestyle and growth changes that.
I don't know about that. My best friend moved there about 25 years ago from Ohio. She came with her husband who was born and raised in Jefferson City. The people were not very accepting of her. When she sold Avon, though, she could only get in the door if she told him who she was married to. No kidding.

All of her friends, to this day, are from outside Jefferson City and she is one of the nicest people I have ever met.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:00 PM

23 posts, read 54,458 times
I haven't been to Jefferson City since 1993 when I left Carson-Newman College. Just from reading your posts here, not much has changed, and yet they seem to have a few more stores!

I worked at Pizza Hut while I went to college, and got out and about in the community delivering pizza. The people were always nice, but a bit stand offish of outsiders...and that is coming from a southern'er! lol Good people who live a certain pace of life no different from any other small town in America. I miss it down there, heck I miss the southern way of life, but I married a WNY gal and they tend to stay pretty close to their mommas around here.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:47 PM

How funny that you mention the Pizza Hut. My brother-in-law went to Carson-Newman many years ago and when we were visiting last year we ate at the Pizza Hut. People were very nice. Maybe we need to rethink our area, I'm getting abit worried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville