Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 06:50 PM

40 posts, read 141,303 times

Advertisements

Are ticks a problem here? We are new here, and we seem to be having a problem with them, my daughters and mom have found them on them in the house, do you have to spray your yard or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 08:27 AM

592 posts, read 2,134,082 times
If you're finding them in the house, do you have dogs?

If so, I'd get the dogs treated..keep an eye on the kids..keep the grass mowed, and have the yard and house treated.

This is from last year, but it's still pertinent.

Spring is the season for lyme disease, ticks

I don't know about a "problem", but they are around i'm sure.

And, just remember that Lyme is pretty rare in this area. From what I know, you're much more likely to get Rocky Mtn. Spotted Fever, and even that carries a pretty low chance.

We use FRONTLINE on our cats and dogs...that stuff is amazing.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:18 PM

I know it probably sounds strange, but we haven't found anything on the dogs, but we have found a few on the kids, luckily caught them quick enough that they weren't really attached (or in).

Old 05-17-2009, 09:25 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,778,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowBunny View Post
Are ticks a problem here? We are new here, and we seem to be having a problem with them, my daughters and mom have found them on them in the house, do you have to spray your yard or something?
I live in the burbs and rarely encounter ticks (knock on wood). Do you live in a woodsy area?

Old 05-17-2009, 10:17 PM

207 posts, read 642,956 times
I grew up in a more remote area and it was pretty standard to check yourself (especially your head given that they can be concealed by your hair) after having been in the woods or areas with high grass, etc. I rarely saw ticks in Knoxville proper though.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:00 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Living in northern Knox County for three years, we found a few ticks on our daughter's hair. Haven't found any since we moved to Knoxville proper. We are in a heavily wooded neighborhood with 23 trees on our lot!

Old 05-19-2009, 06:06 AM

391 posts, read 1,358,748 times
Snow bunny,

Being an avid a outdoorsman for the last 30 years, I can't tell you the number of ticks I've had to yank off before they started their 9-5 on me. East TN is graced will some beautiful land and scenery, but with the good always comes the bad. Most often, I've never found them in well manicured areas or highly developed areas. Seems the most problematic spots are wild fields, wooded forests, or overgrown yards with weeds, woodpiles, wooded lots, etc. As mjb stated, keeping your yard mowed is a good preventative measure. Below is a great article from UT about the nature of ticks, the specific kinds we have in East TN, and preventative measures. Genral rule of thumb for me, if I've been doing contact yardwork, any hiking/biking, or walking anywhere with a lot of low hanging branches/brush, I'll give a quick run through the hair and lower legs to check.

http://www.utextension.utk.edu/publi...iles/PB726.pdf

Old 05-19-2009, 06:15 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
Good article, am wondering if they can fall out of trees, we have a doggie area where the lawn is always short and there aren't any bushes yet occasionally I'll find a tick on my dog - yesterday I had one crawling on me (ugh) - sometimes we'll walk them near a lake but we didn't yesterday (when I noticed it in her ear) but the grass there isn't particularly high (although some may be) - she's a small black dog so it's hard to find a tick - isn't out for long at all but is in and out a few times during the day - am just wondering if they can drop off trees b/c we have some branches that overhang near the cyclone (chain link, not wood) fence.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:40 AM

391 posts, read 1,358,748 times
I don't think so...but I'm no tick expert.....there's a section about ticks and trees about halfway down....don't know about this site, but they say no

FAQs

Old 05-19-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Sold View Post
Snow bunny,

Being an avid a outdoorsman for the last 30 years, I can't tell you the number of ticks I've had to yank off before they started their 9-5 on me. East TN is graced will some beautiful land and scenery, but with the good always comes the bad. Most often, I've never found them in well manicured areas or highly developed areas. Seems the most problematic spots are wild fields, wooded forests, or overgrown yards with weeds, woodpiles, wooded lots, etc. As mjb stated, keeping your yard mowed is a good preventative measure. Below is a great article from UT about the nature of ticks, the specific kinds we have in East TN, and preventative measures. Genral rule of thumb for me, if I've been doing contact yardwork, any hiking/biking, or walking anywhere with a lot of low hanging branches/brush, I'll give a quick run through the hair and lower legs to check.

http://www.utextension.utk.edu/publi...iles/PB726.pdf
Thanks. We do live in a woodsy area, we didn't even have a back yard when we moved in, so we just got done planting it. I wonder if we could have disturbed them when we raked out all the leaves etc.,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville