U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2009, 08:23 AM

340 posts, read 1,144,493 times

Advertisements

Hi, guys.

This has been such a treasure trove of info for several years now, and I need your input again.

We have a sweet 10 year old boy that we are adopting next month. Since he is our only child, we are learning things as we go along, which can be very interesting for us all. LOL

Summer camps, both day and overnight. Where do your children go? We know about Camp Arrowwood and Camp Wesley Woods for the week-long type camps, but would love your input about where your kids love to go and where you feel safe sending them.

He's never been able to do the 'kid' stuff, and we want him to begin enjoying that now.

So, where are the great kids camps around east TN? Thanks so much!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 02:10 PM

190 posts, read 714,798 times
My son loved Tate's Day Camp last year. And he's looking forward to it this year. We are also going to try Webb's Day Camp. both are like sleep away camp in the activities they do but they don't spend the night.
Oh so I just looked and you are in Maryville....the camps I listed are probably too far for you to drive.
Good Luck finding one in your area. Knoxmoms.com has a listing about camps

Old 05-20-2009, 02:59 PM

Thanks, Snapdragon! I will check out knoxmoms.

I work in Knoxville, so driving that far isn't a problem. And for a week-long camp, we are willing to let him be an hour or two away. He's actually excited at the prospect, and keeps hounding me about it. LOL

Old 05-20-2009, 05:49 PM

2,170 posts, read 7,366,253 times
Try Kids U at University of Tennessee
https://aceweb.outreach.utk.edu/Show...UKU~Kids+U~KSU
They've got some great classes for kids his age. It's also a good way for him to meet kids his age with similar interests.
Smoky Mountain Field School (also run with UT) has some great family programs.
http://www.outreach.utk.edu/smoky/family.html (broken link)

Old 05-20-2009, 10:50 PM

22,583 posts, read 52,009,292 times
Congrats on the adoption. I hold such a special place in my heart for people like you.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:06 PM

7,279 posts, read 20,445,087 times
As a fellow adoptiee, I say kudos to you, a very lucky boy....... and parents.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Congrats on the adoption. I hold such a special place in my heart for people like you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
As a fellow adoptiee, I say kudos to you, a very lucky boy....... and parents.

Aw, now you guys are going to make me cry. You are both very kind.

Our little guy has been such a blessing in our lives, even when he makes me want to pull out all my hair. LOL

Just to see him go from a child who had more responsibility on his shoulders than any child should ever have, to a little boy who gets to be a little boy, THAT has been one of the greatest joys of my life so far.

Knoxgarden, thanks for the links! I look forward to checking them out.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:58 PM

22,583 posts, read 52,009,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbG View Post
Aw, now you guys are going to make me cry. You are both very kind.

Our little guy has been such a blessing in our lives, even when he makes me want to pull out all my hair. LOL

Just to see him go from a child who had more responsibility on his shoulders than any child should ever have, to a little boy who gets to be a little boy, THAT has been one of the greatest joys of my life so far.

Knoxgarden, thanks for the links! I look forward to checking them out.
I will say that if I had been adopted when I was in my teens I would have been so much better off. But my parents fought it and it was back in the 70s when my state just didn't do much. Kids sit in foster homes and group homes and then are tossed out when they come of age. I couldn't even go to school because financial aid still used my parents income to determine it.

You have saved a life. Believe me.

And there is another reason I love adoptive parents, but we will leave it at that.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:34 PM

(((((((Hiknapster)))))))

I'm sorry you went through that, and thankful that you have built a sweet family for yourself now.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:31 AM

14 posts, read 46,648 times
Hi
I worked at camps for a few summers in my college years, I worked at Tate's and I must say it is a very well run and fun camp. Especially if you don't want to send your kid's to sleep away camp. There's still swimming and fishing and boating and all other campy stuff! Also I worked at YMCA Camp Greenville, on the NC/SC border, its a 1 or 2 week sleep away camp and it is also run very well, its a YMCA camp, so definitely trustworthy. One of the most beutiful sights in the smokies is there, at the chapel, called pretty place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville