Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 09:38 PM

2 posts, read 5,049 times

Advertisements

Thank you so much KnoxGarden! That is a great help, all of you are so helpful! I will definitely be visiting very soon I hope, thank you so much for the info, God Bless you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 02:17 PM

2 posts, read 21,241 times
I also move to East Tennessee from California so if you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Matt

Old 06-19-2009, 06:37 PM

16 posts, read 34,501 times
Matt, I would love to hear any and everything about your move from California to Tennessee. Tell me how it's going and what you think about the differences between these two states.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:28 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,388,986 times
Hey Calitotennessee, welcome and great ready for southern hospitality at its finest. I have visited several times to several cities, and although beautiflul and sunny, always too crowded for my taste. We loved Pasadena, and have family there, and love all the beaches, but again, life is go different. My sister in laws, stays in Pasadena, as her financee, works there, but is trying to get his headquarters, to allow him to work out of Knoxville. I also have some clients, wanting to relocate here from Pasadena, mostly because of the cost of living, and a smaller place to raise there children. I spent several days with them here, and they could not believe the differences, and love it here. Good luck, and hope you find your perfect fit.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:06 PM

730 posts, read 1,917,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calitotennesee View Post
Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post; I value your thoughts. I'm hoping other native Californians will also respond.
I will be there next Monday to buy a home and move from California in August.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:58 AM

70 posts, read 298,982 times
Hello!

My wife and I are now empty nesters and have lived in Southeast Tennessee (the Tennesee Valley) for well over 20 years. We love it!

This is coming from someone who grew up in SoCal - Oxnard to be exact! I was also in the Navy and was stationed in the Bay Area and Point Loma in San Diego. Altho' I loved living in California, I now call Tennessee "home". For a variety of reasons, I would not want to move back the the West Coast.

Now about Tenneseee...

Altho' a direct move from SoCal will certainly be something of a culture shock, how a person adapts to a new environment is mostly a matter of attitude. If you enjoy seeing and doing new things, you are well on your way. Life is slower, the people are friendlier, the sky is bluer, the water better, grass is green in the Summer, and cows go 'moo'. And besides all that, a dollar will go a whole lot further!

The Tennessee State Flag has 3 stars in it which represent the 3 distinct regions in the state - the western plains, the central mountains, and the great Tennessee Valley to the east. Altho' all of Tennessee is similar to the very thin coastal region of California (no desert), my wife and I far prefer the Tennessee Valley - which is basically everything between Chattanooga and Knoxville. Here you'll find lots of rivers, lakes, fields, small towns, and of course the mountains. The only thing missing is smog and salt water! But then, I guess, we can't have everything!

We live in McMinn County, which is on I-75 halfway between Chattanooga and Knoxville. My wife works in Chattanooga and I work on the western side of Knoxville. The commute is what I call "country Interstate" - I live 30 miles from the office and it takes me 30 minutes to get to work and there's no traffic. That's something you won't find in SoCal...

Please feel free to contact me via a direct message and I will be happy to answer any particular questions you may have.

Good luck!

Old 07-02-2009, 04:25 PM

31 posts, read 73,572 times
i was born and raised in southern california
i love ithere
been here 30 years
except for this feb to now........
i am back in knoxville
due to being absued by my boyfriend
long story
we were high school sweethearts
and had not seen each other for 50 years.
i left my husband and he his wife
divorced
and got together in Lake Elsinore
((just out of palm springs and san deigo)
50 years is too muc of a gap
and we had gone in seperate directions
needless to say it didn't work out >>>>>>>>

but i would not coose to be anywhere but here
2 or 3 snopws a year
2-3 inches each
winter is from feb to march
plant your tomatoes in april
summer can be warm or just plain beautiful
rain depends on the year
sometimes a lot
and other times nothing
i have never had to water my lawn, though

spring and fall are eye catching here
but summer is so full of green trees everywhere.
lots of good medical places....as said above.

property taxes are low
car tags are $60.00 per car
cheaper in some areas
no income tax
i am here to stay

linda in tennessee

Old 07-02-2009, 09:06 PM

730 posts, read 1,917,860 times
Just bought a home and will close the end of the month. Looking forward to living in Tennessee and getting OUT of California.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:47 PM

16 posts, read 34,501 times
Befriend, do tell. . .where did you purchase a home? Why did you choose to move to TN from California. Why do you think you will like TN State better? Do you have family in TN?

Also, thank you for sharing and I hope your move is easy.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:08 PM

11 posts, read 16,203 times
calitotennesee, Hopefully we will be about 9 - 12 months behind you. We have been outside San Diego for about 20 years and just don't fit in anymore. Our plan is to rent an acreage for awhile until we decide where to buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville