Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 09:56 AM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,014 times

Advertisements

For the most part, driving here isn't a problem. There do seem to be "drive like an idiot" days, but compared to other places I've lived, it's not bad.
I lived most of my life in the Washington, D.C. area where red lights are considered a suggestion rather than mandatory so I'm not really bothered by the red light runners here. I expect it and drive accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 10:48 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilCabinGirl View Post
If you can ever do the speed limit of 45 on Kingston Pike, it's a good day. I also find that drivers here do not realize they share the road with other drivers. I have seen people literally stop in the middle of Kingston Pike, holding everyone up, while they decide if that is where they need to turn.
Kingston Pike is a very bad road to travel. One of first things someone needs to learn is how to navigate using the other roads and I-40.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:11 AM

420 posts, read 1,535,051 times
BTW, this is an area where, at least in the rural parts that I frequent, people really take their time at 4 way stops. It's an opportunity to wave, say no "you all go ahead", talk and generally be patient. If you are expecting simple traffic rules to apply, you may be disappointed :-)

Old 06-01-2009, 08:15 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Kingston Pike is a very bad road to travel. One of first things someone needs to learn is how to navigate using the other roads and I-40.
You are so right! I avoid Kingston Pike like the plague. And I have found that Middlebrook Pike and Westland are wonderful alternatives and a heck of a lot more scenic.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:34 PM

391 posts, read 1,359,327 times
Agreed with the previous two...I like to call it Kingston Hike, cuz it always takes a while and it seems like I move at a walking pace sometimes. Middlebrook, Westland, Northshore, and I40 are my preferred routes depending on where I'm going.

I don't think Ktown traffic is all that bad....one thing that does bother me is that it seems to be a lot of rubbernecks (I think?) here. Everytime there is an accident, everyone STOPS to look at it, causing much worse standstill traffic then there should be. My biggest gripe.....

Old 06-01-2009, 02:07 PM

I think that's a Southern thing, the rubberneckers. Today it took me forever to get through Jonesborough. Construction had the 11-E down to one lane, then some idiot went and had an accident, too. Talk about a snail's pace!

Old 06-04-2009, 11:12 AM

592 posts, read 2,134,896 times
Get used to being at a stop sign...and having someone (mind you, they have no stop sign and the right of way obviously) to stop and wave you through.

I've been in more close calls here because of people being TOO cautious/courteous than I can count on one hand.

It's part of the charm, but took some getting used to.

The whole 50mph through the parking lot and 45mph on the interstate thing baffles me, but it's VERY true.

Oh, and it's not just a local thing, but people in general have no idea what a turn lane is for...apparently. Last I checked, they are NOT for you to turn into from a business and sit in while waiting to merge with traffic.

Claiborne and Union Co. drivers are very "animated" in their lane changing...it's an ABRUBT maneuver in most cases...and I feel sorry for any fool that's between a southerner and their McDonald's/Hardees, etc...in the morning.

I've seen lines coming out of the drive thru's of these businesses extending out into busy roadways in the mornings.

It's awesome overall.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
I've been in more close calls here because of people being TOO cautious/courteous than I can count on one hand.
Same here, and it makes me guilty for being mad at them.

About the parking lot/interstate thing, I think a lot of native ETN drivers just have one speed. Whatever that speed is is how they're going to drive - no matter where, off road, at Walmart, or on I-40.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:09 PM

204 posts, read 580,634 times
I drive Kingston and well it isn't the worst I have seen but it can be a jam, especially at noon, everyone must be going somewhere for lunch and the rest are just out to see where everyone is going. My pet peeve is 4 way stops.....I must be at the wrong ones because it isn't people letting me go through them it is the people not knowing that it is one then the other, they just kind of pull up and think ok it must be my turn.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:18 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn405 View Post
My pet peeve is 4 way stops.....I must be at the wrong ones because it isn't people letting me go through them it is the people not knowing that it is one then the other, they just kind of pull up and think ok it must be my turn.
Wow! I've never experienced that in the four years I've lived here. It's just the "you go", "no, you go" deal, over and over. I think it's cute, even after four years.

After living in Florida, I just don't mind these things. Try crossing a street down there. They AIM at you.

Are you in West Knoxville? SOMETIMES I can find rude drivers over there. Not always.

The rudest are on the highways with the out-of-state plates, for the most part. I really want to have a sign that I can hold out the window that says, "Bless your heart, we don't do that in Tennessee. Please be sweet."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville