Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,043 times

Advertisements

So I'm contemplating pursuing a job in Knoxville. The job is on the eastside of Knoxville. I've been reading through some of the threads and but I still had some questions. First I'm guy 32 single, been living in a collegetown(chapel hill) for the last 9 years looking to move to a place that has a good young professional scene.

1. How far is it from say downtown to the eastside like near the knoxville center(with traffic)?

2. are there places near or in downtown that are nice that are reasonably priced rentwise?

3. How is single life in knoxville?

thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 03:15 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Crown View Post
So I'm contemplating pursuing a job in Knoxville. The job is on the eastside of Knoxville. I've been reading through some of the threads and but I still had some questions. First I'm guy 32 single, been living in a collegetown(chapel hill) for the last 9 years looking to move to a place that has a good young professional scene.

1. How far is it from say downtown to the eastside like near the knoxville center(with traffic)?

2. are there places near or in downtown that are nice that are reasonably priced rentwise?

thanks for your help!
What do you consider to be "reasonably priced"? Check out craigslist, metropulse.com, and knoxnews.com to see what rents are going for downtown which is what I would consider to be the hip place for young single professionals. Avoid The Fort unless you just happen to like living around a bunch of noisy college students.

To go from downtown to Knoxville Center won't take more than 10-15 minutes. It's interstate all the way, and you're going against rush hour traffic.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:02 PM
BST

451 posts, read 1,202,744 times
Check out Washington Ridge apartments. They're in the Knoxville Center neighborhood and convenient to I-640/I-40. Of course, most of the night life is either downtown or west...but you can get anywhere in Knoxville in about 20 minutes on I-40.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:41 PM

172 posts, read 476,034 times
I was 30 when I moved to Knoxville in the 90s, and had a great time living around the Old City and also in Fourth & Gill, which is close enough to walk to downtown.

From what friends still living there tell me, the area around Market Square downtown would also be a good place to be. And I agree with the poster who said avoid Fort Sanders ... you'll do best with the divorcees (they marry early in Tenn. and bust up early), not the UT kiddies, most likely!

Wouldn't worry much about traffic out East ... a lot of folks out that way only commute to the mailbox to pick up their gov't checks.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:13 PM

623 posts, read 1,542,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Crown View Post

thanks for your help!
One thing you want to look for, and seem aware of, is proximity to downtown. I always recommend South Knoxville to young people, for that reason. There are a handful of apartments, mainly housing students, just across the river there. You could also look downtown, but that's pricey and maybe not the best option since you'll be commuting to East Town.

I'd say there are a "solid" number of post grad professionals in Knoxville, but a lot of them choose to live in bigger cities after graduating UT. Not to say they're not in Knoxville, but many move to Charlotte, Atlanta, or Nashville, where those types of jobs are simply more prevalent and the salaries higher.

Maybe you can land a healthy co-ed.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:16 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith talent View Post
Wouldn't worry much about traffic out East ... a lot of folks out that way only commute to the mailbox to pick up their gov't checks.
What a pompous statement. Do you know how many friends that I have in that area that get up every dang day to go to work? Some of the best workers I've ever seen. For shame.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:26 AM

18 posts, read 59,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Avoid The Fort unless you just happen to like living around a bunch of noisy college students.
Are there any areas of the Fort that are quieter? Like where grad students are?

Old 05-30-2009, 05:15 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,589,402 times
There are a lot of single people in Fourth & Gill and hopefully they aren't as pompous as Mr. Talent. Old North Knoxville is a second choice though there aren't as many apartments.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:43 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwwong View Post
Are there any areas of the Fort that are quieter? Like where grad students are?
I'm sure there are some grad students living in the Fort, but I don't know of anywhere in the Fort that caters specifically to grad students. As for a quieter area in the Fort, when I was a grad student I lived in the far west area of the Fort along Highland near 23rd. It was fairly quiet there except for noise from passing trains.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:56 AM

172 posts, read 476,034 times
OK, OK, I knew when I hit the button it probably was a little harsh to say what I said about East Knoxville. Let's see, there are some nice old houses out on Washington, a great Filipino place on Magnolia (if it's still there), and less traffic than out in West Knoxville. Nuff said, apologies, was just riffing a little and it got out of hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville