Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 09:10 AM

17 posts, read 32,609 times

Advertisements

Hi there!
We are family from Europe living in Green Bay, WI area.
We would like to move to Fountain City, TN.
We visited F. C. and we like it. The reason we want to move from WI is cold weather and we feel (like many other people here) that this area is
little tough for people from other parts of the country and world.
We have heard that there are some gang activities and that there are many skinheads in F.C..
We didn't see anything like that during our visit.
So, we would like your opinion on F.C. / Knoxville area.
Thank you for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 11:01 AM

132 posts, read 371,346 times
I grew up in the Fountain city area. My parents still live very near the duck pond. I don't remember the area being known as a gang area. There are some rougher sections but still better than other parts of Knoxville. If you work with a realtor they can help to determine what your needs are and help you out.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:44 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,388,695 times
Hey tonydp, welcome to the Knoxville area, and promise you will love our weather here, especailly compared to what you are use to. I have grew up in Knoxville, and try to keep up with local news, and in working and showing houses, never have seen any signs of skinheads, or gang activity in the Ft. City area. I just put one under contract, last week, or should say an offer, waiting on confirmation, and with all the posters here, not heard anything that would cause any worry. There could be some isolated places, but sure you can find several safe areas. Good luck, and get ready for many good responses.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:48 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Did you hear me laughing all the way up in Wisconsin?

It's a legitimate question. One is always worried about such things, especially if they hear a crazy rumor. My friend on the forum, JMT, knows how neurotic and paranoid I can be, so he is probably laughing, too.

You see, I waited three years to find the perfect place to live in Knoxville. I rented that entire time. Fountain City is our perfect place.

I have never seen a skinhead here. I've seen quite a few in Florida, but not here.

We have a nine-year-old daughter, and I am in my forties and can be quite frightened of scary people.

Please, do not worry, this is a wonderful place. There may be a few apartment buildings where people are not rich, but I have never seen any trouble. There are also beautiful homes and lots of others in between.

The house that "oldmanbob" is closing on is in a wonderful neighborhood.

The school that my daughter attends is top-rated and they got her reading level up to where it is suppose to be, even though she was testing at a year behind. They did this in a few months.

Welcome to Fountain City!

Old 06-01-2009, 04:13 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Does hik know me or what? I was laughing when I read the OP, too! Skinheads in Fountain City? huh?? I cannot imagine where the OP heard that.

I don't know that I've ever seen a skinhead in all of Knox County much less in Fountain City.

To the OP: Welcome to Fountain City! It's a wonderful community that I love dearly, and I assure you that if there were any hiint of skinheads there, I wouldn't like it at all. I used to live in Brussels and Paris, so I've seen more than my fill of skinheads.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:38 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,779,791 times
My guess is that they're talking about the popular story of KKK activity in the Halls area. My theory is that this story, too, is grossly exaggerated.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:41 AM

391 posts, read 1,359,208 times
Skinheads in Fountain City? Hmmm.....

Well I finally did see that Sasquatch in Hardin Valley last week....

Old 06-04-2009, 09:04 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
There was a bear in Forest Heights yesterday..... Ooooh, Dangerous.... Stay away from Forest Heights!

I've seen some Punk Rockers. Do they count as scary?

Old 06-05-2009, 04:51 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
I think I figured out what bothers me about this conversation.

The OP asked about gang activity and that's reasonable. Coming from Europe, (s)he may associate skinheads = gangs = criminal activity so that's reasonable.

To me, skinheads are a form of political expression. It's not one that I agree with at all, but I'm glad to live in a country where we have free political expression.

I'd like to remind folks that our worst domestic terrorist, the man who shot up a church, is about as normal and non-threatening looking as they come.

Back on topic, Fountain City is a lovely area, very safe as far as I know. As is Forest Heights in West Knoxville.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:01 AM

17 posts, read 32,609 times
Default Are you...

"Well I finally did see that Sasquatch in Hardin Valley last week...."
"There was a bear in Forest Heights yesterday..... Ooooh, Dangerous.... Stay away from Forest Heights!"......

Guys are you serious???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville