Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 10:26 AM

18 posts, read 50,570 times

Advertisements

I have a few questions about getting a teaching job in Knoxville.
1. What month were you first contacted to schedule an interview?
2. Should we be worried that no one has called from all the schools we have applied to?
3. Would you recommend calling a principal or going to the school so we would be recognized?
Any help will be greatly appreciated. We are planning to move this Summer. We would like to have jobs before we move though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 09:58 AM

206 posts, read 713,254 times
I am not a teacher but I work for Knox County Schools. I am a TA right now but have applied for another position. Our principal hasn't contacted me or a friend of mine for an interview yet... and we already work there! I think they HAVE to interview everyone that has applied. She told me things were crazy uptown, where HQ is located. So even though when she does interview and makes her choice HR may not contact us till July! If I were you I would email the principals at the schools and just introduce yourself and ask about the interview. It could't hurt.
Things are crazy with the Knox County School system right now... I wouldn't worry... I say that to you but I worry myself haha!!! Good Luck!

Old 06-01-2009, 11:30 PM

458 posts, read 1,275,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volinator25 View Post
I have a few questions about getting a teaching job in Knoxville.
1. What month were you first contacted to schedule an interview?
2. Should we be worried that no one has called from all the schools we have applied to?
3. Would you recommend calling a principal or going to the school so we would be recognized?
Any help will be greatly appreciated. We are planning to move this Summer. We would like to have jobs before we move though.
I wouldn't worry overly that you have not yet been contacted but it never hurts to email or call the principal to keep your name at the front of their minds. I have a friend that is certified K-6 which as I"m sure you know is one of the most competitive as far as applicants per job and she didn't get a job last year. Just plain no openings. She did work maternity leaves and such and hopefully will get hired on this year. She moved from New Orleans. Also, I myself applied in the Spring and didn't get hired until mid-year (around Thanksgiving) for my position. It sounds like many of my colleagues were hired the same way.

Yes, I say stop by some of the schools you are interested in if you are in town. Never hurts to "show 'em what you've got".

But, bottom line, don't worry. We just got out last week and not a lot is happening just yet.

Best of luck and let me know if I can help with specific questions about schools, principals, etc.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:28 AM

Thank you for your input. We are going to the area on Wednesday. She has a job fair in the morning and an interview in Sevier County in the afternoon. Do principals hire very often the first time they meet a teacher?

Old 06-02-2009, 08:59 AM

I have a question. Why does Knox County website post 400 job openings? Then they take them off. Now they posted a few of them back on there. Are they trying to fill the application pool for those positions? Or are those the only jobs actually open now?

Old 06-09-2009, 03:31 PM

Has anyone gotten an interview from Knox County Schools yet? This waiting period is making us uneasy.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:40 PM

458 posts, read 1,275,495 times
Hey, Vol. Please refresh my memory as to what sort of license you wife has. Perhaps I can contact principals I know.

However, seriously, do not worrry just yet. Like I said, many transfer positions need to interview and they just don't seem to get around to out-of-system hiring until July or so. Keep yer head up~!

OH! Also -- regarding principals hiring the first time they meet you -- I don't know that I"ve ever seen that happen. Not to say it doesn't. Also, Knox County requires principals to contact Central Office about whom they'd like to hire and subsequently it might be them who call you to offer you the job. I interviewed with a principal in 2006 -- right around July 4th -- and though we had great rapport I didn't hear from her so I took another job teaching Microbiology at a University. Sure enough, in August -- about 10 days before school started -- I received the job offer but by that time I assumed I hadn't gotten it and was otherwise employed. Soooo...just hang in there.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:28 AM

She is certified in Biology 415. She can also teach 7th and 8th grade science. Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:44 AM

2 posts, read 8,232 times
i am not a teacher, but i HAVE KNOWN TEACHERS THERE, SEEMS TO BE A LOCKED JOB MARKET. NEED TO BE IN THE SYSTEM IN JUST ABOUT ANY SCHOOL SYSTEM IN ORDER TO BECOME RECOGNIZED FOR A TEACHING POSITION, UNLESS YOU KNOW SOMEONE, (MAYBE)?

Old 06-25-2009, 07:42 AM

Does anyone heard from Knox County Schools? Or has been hired? My wife applied but can't get an interview. Please Help!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville