Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2009, 01:44 PM

37 posts, read 85,377 times

Advertisements

Since I'm curious and really do think about this one... do the natives worry about the dams breaking and flooding the towns below them? These dams are OLD. It makes me wonder how well maintained they are, is the concrete okay, etc.

If the dams broke, how much would be destroyed... what is the flood zone or path if the dams broke? I imagine if Norris Dam let go it would be pretty devastating for Knoxville area.

I'm a worrier, I tend to think a lot about stuff like this.

forgot to add... do they have any kind of sirens, drills, for if a dam is going to fail, to warn folks?

See, I DO worry a lot, LOL!

Last edited by 3tailswaggin; 08-11-2009 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: forgot to add...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 02:41 PM

391 posts, read 1,359,013 times
3tails,

As an avid fisherman who spends as many Saturdays and late nights as possible fishing directly below the Loudon, Melton Hill, and Watts Bar dams, I can say it's a thought that crosses my mind when I'm 10-25 feet away from that much sheer force. But I will say it's nothing I personally worry about. TVA spends a lot of time and energy inspecting and maintaining the structural intergrity of their 49+ dams. TVA has received pretty high scores from third party FEMA inspectors regarding the leakage, integrity, and reliability. There are definite emergency plans in place for the dams per regulated guidelines, including failure, earthquake, overflow, etc. See below for a few links related to dam safety. I would say live your life and choose to worry about other things! They've been running strong for 70+ years and I expect them to go for another 70. They are replacing the Chickamagua lock, due to concrete growth, and have also noted some concrete growth in the Hiawasee and Fontana dams, but state there is no major concern. They do run safety drills, overflow/flood emergency plans peridocially every year per site. There is also a siren per dam that is quite loud, but I think the audible range is only a mile or so...
TVA: River Neighbors - February 2008
http://oig.tva.gov/PDF/08rpts/2007-11023.pdf
http://www.tva.gov/environment/repor...dam_safety.pdf
http://www.fema.gov/plan/prevent/damfailure/fema64.shtm (broken link)

Last edited by Servpro Will; 08-11-2009 at 03:12 PM..

Old 08-11-2009, 05:02 PM

37 posts, read 85,377 times
Thanks for the reply. I don't really worry about it, but really did wonder. I too think they probably are okay, because stuff built back then was BUILT to last, not like the crap they throw up these days.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:45 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,779,375 times
If any of the dams break, you could kiss Chattanooga good bye for sure...

Old 08-12-2009, 06:52 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,348,438 times
3 tails waggin,
By any chance are 2 different people using your screen name? Are you trying to talk yourself out of moving here? You say you are a worrier then you say you don't really worry about things, I'm so confused on what the point is?
I think one question you need to answer for yourself, is, can you embrace Knoxville area as different from what you are used to in SC?
Pam

Last edited by Pam& Bill; 08-12-2009 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-19-2017, 12:48 PM

42 posts, read 60,625 times
Watching the recent situation with the dam in California, I am wondering if we could update the information here. I live in the TN Valley between Knoxville and Chattanooga and I do worry about this a lot.

Thanks!!!

Old 02-19-2017, 03:03 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianaMoon53 View Post
Watching the recent situation with the dam in California, I am wondering if we could update the information here. I live in the TN Valley between Knoxville and Chattanooga and I do worry about this a lot.

Thanks!!!
Boone Dam in the Tri-Cities is having issues, but they are being addressed properly.

Old 03-06-2017, 02:09 PM

42 posts, read 60,625 times
Thankyou for the information Serious Conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville