U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 11:32 AM

22,583 posts, read 51,534,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbward View Post
Thanks Hik! Just when I was feeling good about my move another Cocke basher appears. LOL
I know nothing about Cosby. If you like it then I am sure that it is fine. It seems that all the crime news comes out of Newport. And there is a LOT of it.
Rate this post positively

Old 08-23-2009, 12:06 PM

424 posts, read 1,217,685 times
I think more then anything, Newport just never gets any press that anyone hears about besides the bad press. I went to Newport at night, and just people watched at Walmart and Food City and even stopped by the Liquor Store just because it is the closest one to my house. It honestly kinda reminds me of Marion, Ohio. Not a place I would live, but not a place i would be afraid of.

When I was at the Walmart I asked a local Sheriff Deputy about the area. He said the bars and generally where are the crime starts or happens. Also, down my way he said to stay away from Jones Cove Road because that is where all the druggies live. He said that the majority of the crime down there is realted to "dope".

I think the town is just very poor, very underfunded, and nothing newsworthy happens their but crime hence why it's image is so incredibly bad. The crime stats obviously could be skewed due to corruption in Law Enforcement, however, it still is about the same as Wilmington, NC where I came from and less then Columbus, Ohio where I lived downtown in the early 2000's.

It doesn't even show a murder in Newport for the last six years....

Old 08-23-2009, 01:03 PM

22,583 posts, read 51,534,777 times
The crime is very, very different than most places, especially for the population.

This has an excellent synopsis of the crime in the area. If you look through the pictures, most of those people you would never suspect would be involved in crime. So I don't think taking a visit to your local Walmart is going to help.

Cocke County Confidential Information & News from Knoxville News Sentinel (Knoxville, TN)

Unfortunately, the crime didn't end with that bust, either.

There are several counties that have a Wikipedia page, but most don't have mostly crime mentioned under "History."

"Cocke County has a long-standing reputation in the surrounding area as a center of illegal activity, particularly the production of and trafficking in moonshine, both during Prohibition and in subsequent years, when most of East Tennessee, including Cocke County, remained officially "dry". The county also developed a reputation for prostitution in the years during and after World War II.

A series of raids beginning in 1969 targeted both illegal liquor sales and alleged brothels. Many of the businesses were allegedly tied to organized crime groups in Ohio and St. Louis, Missouri and there were allegations of involvement by local law enforcement officials.

In the early 1980s, marijuana production and smuggling of illegal drugs became prevalent in the area. For example, in 1982 more than 40,000 marijuana plants with an estimated value of $15 million were found growing at one site. In 1983 a massive state and federal probe led to the discovery of an interstate prostitution ring and the FBI's arresting the county sheriff and 43 other people on cocaine conspiracy charges. Agents also recovered more than $2 million in drugs and stolen vehicles and heavy equipment.

On the afternoon of June 11, 2005, more than 100 federal and state agents, led by the FBI and supported by snipers and helicopters, raided and closed a large illegal **** fighting ring in Cocke County. The Del Rio Cockfighting Pit was described by officials as the United States' largest and oldest illegal cockfighting pit. The agents seized more than $40,000 in cash and issued criminal citations to 143 people. More than 300 fighting roosters were euthanized during the raid. The complex that was shut down included a 5,000-square-foot (460 m2) metal building with bleacher seating for up to 500 people, a restaurant, gift shop, nearly 100 outbuildings, and a guard shack.

The raid occurred as a result of "Operation Rose Thorn," a four-year investigation of criminal activity in the area, including drug trafficking, chop shops, the hijacking of interstate shipments, organized gambling (including cockfighting and video poker), prostitution, fraud, attempted money laundering, racketeering and public corruption. By the end of July, the investigation had resulted in closure of the cockfighting pit and two brothels, criminal charges against a total of more than 170 people, and searches of taverns, homes, garages, a video amusement company, and a flower shop."

Cocke County, Tennessee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-23-2009, 01:25 PM

Yeah, anyone with interenet access is aware of this bust. However, it doesn't mean the entire county is a prison colony....

Reputations are just that, reputations. Kinda like people think Morristown is FULL of mexicans like it's some problem. The ones I have ran into were nice and courteous thus far...

Old 08-23-2009, 01:50 PM

2,170 posts, read 7,316,531 times
The bottom line is, do you feel comfortable there? I'd trust my instincts on it.
Is the cabin isolated? Has it had a problem with break-ins? Ask the neighbors what that street/area is like.
It sounds like you like the area and are comfortable there. Make the decision on how you feel about it, not statistics or someone else's idea of what's safe.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:24 PM

bingo, you said it. That is why I decided on going forward with the lease. The street has no traffic because it doesn't go through, my cabin is at the top of the hill so I can hear and see cars coming for 1/4 mile. The owners of the cabin live in front of it and I alreadymet my neighbor closests to me so we can watch out for one another. I called Cocke county Sheriff and they were nice enough to go over all police calls for the area in 2009, all good stuff there, only two calls on my road, one for a car running off the road and another for a person that saw the lights come on at his neighbors house when he felt his neighbor was not home.
I am only about three miles off 40 and it only takes 5 minutes to get to the freeway from my driveway.

I grew up in the country, then lived in the roughest part of downtown Columbus, Ohio, so I don't feel at all intimidated by the reputation of Cocke County. Although it does have a history of outlaws.

My instincts are good, I started this thread before I had truly signed the paperwork and decided. I am convinced Cosby is the nice end of cocke county.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:52 PM

2,170 posts, read 7,316,531 times
Sounds like you've got a winner. The best crime prevention is good neighbors and it sounds like people pay attention to what's going on.
Also sounds like you got the home you were looking for. Now you can enjoy East Tennessee and all it has to offer! Welcome.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:33 PM

Thanks! I look forward to coming to Knoxville on days off to enjoy the thing there I love too!

Old 09-04-2009, 10:18 AM

374 posts, read 890,296 times
Default Good luck

with your move to Cosby, Cocke County. It is a beautiful area with many wonderful people. I'll add here that an occasional visit to the area is NOTHING like living there. I've lived in TN since 1982, in Cocke, Sevier, Knox, and McMinn Counties. The worst, by far, was Cocke.

I moved from central FL to Newport 27 years ago and had an extremely rude awakening. I had absolutely NO preconceived attitudes about the area, thought it was a beautiful small town, and was eager to live there. Aside from someone stealing wicker rockers off my deck, I had no problem with crime. I kept my doors locked and since I didn't frequent bars or keep company with those of "questionable" character, I suppose I felt relatively safe. As for going out, there was no place to go then. Not even a McDonald's in 1982.

What was a problem was the absolute inability to find work anywhere in the county, largely due to the fact that I was not "local." There was a pervasive apathy about improving the economic situation and a trip to the local employment office was a joke. I asked the lady to show me available jobs, without opening a book, she responded "there aren't any." I asked if she would at least look in the book and she said she didn't need to, there weren't any - ever. In 1982 I was told unemployment hovered around 30-33% "all the time."

Although my neighbors were nice, the general attitude was not welcoming to me and my family into the community. It's a small town with a "good ol' boy mentality" where gossip is rampant and everyone knows (or wants to know) everyone else's business. No matter how much I attempted to prove my desire to be a part of the community, unfriendliness was obvious and intentional and the entire time I lived there I felt like an "outsider", outlander is the local term. After being asked "you're not from around here, are ya?" about a million times, and then after my "no" response asked again "where'd ya come from?", and then after my response of moving from FL, "why'd ya move here?", I finally said "I don't know, but I'm getting the hell out just as soon as possible." Along the way I learned that Floridians were particularly unwelcome. This was due to the fact that Floridians were often moving into the area and taking over Cocke County's primary cash crop - marijuana.

It had gotten to the point that when asked where I lived, I would just say "east of Knoxville." People knew. They'd laugh and say, "oh, you must live in Cocke County." Three years there was more than enough for me. Cocke County's bad reputation is far and wide and remains in place today.

Now, somewhat in defense of the locals, when outside developers move into an economically depressed area the locals may gain jobs (often low-paying) but lose much more in that process. In 1982 Cocke County was probably more than 75 years behind FL in "progress" but we were moving from FL's "progress" and what we were seeking was a slower, "gentler" way of life - and we were not developers or attemting to change anything about the area. I hope that recent years willl have changed/improved the general attitude of the area. I hope the locals there pay attention to what has happened in Sevier County (where developers have virtually raped the land and financially raped the area) and hope Cocke Countians will attempt to preserve their local charm, welcome new members of their community, and cautiously proceed with progress (which was non-existent in 1982.)

Again, good luck on your move. As for me, I have virtually nothing good to say about living in Cocke County. Nice place to visit, but entirely different as a resident. I've also eaten at the Front Porch which has much local charm and history and still love to camp at the national park there. Side story...

We once were camping at the SMNP campground in Cosby and while walking through the campground passed a site where there was considerable flurry. We were told an ambulance was on the way - from Newport. I commented to my husband that if they depended on that, "they're gonna die." Unfortunately, I was right. The local emergency response services were horrible, slow, and undependable. Local medical services the same - or worse. I have no recent knowledge of how it's improved - or if it remains the same. But my advice is if you have medical issues - go straight to Knoxville.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:18 PM

And where did you live in Cocke County again? Directly IN Newport?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville