U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2009, 07:12 AM

424 posts, read 1,211,017 times

Advertisements

I have heard mixed reactions to my declaration that I will be living in a log cabin in Cosby. Many allude to how bad the crime and people are in the Cosby/South Cocke County area. Anyone here live in Cosby and have some input to share?

I have heard that you will get easily beat up in Newport. From people from Newport.

I have heard that you don't want to make a wrong turn at night in Cocke County Period from someone from Newport.

I am not really interested in feedback from people that don't live there. I have already heard the bashing enough from folks that don't live there.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively

Old 08-18-2009, 07:47 AM

Ok, let me open this up to people that live NEAR cosby or have friends that live in Cosby. lol, I think I narrowed that down a bit too much for any responses. LOL

Old 08-18-2009, 07:50 AM

9 posts, read 24,680 times
Well. I grew up very close to Newport and have done a lot of work in and around Newport/Cosby area and still drive through there on a regular basis. You should be fine as long as you are caucasian, heterosexual, have a job and don't have a pronounced accent. It is a nice area and has a lot of natural beauty. I don't wish to sound cynical, but I know the area. I am sure there are a lot of nice folks there.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:36 AM

22,583 posts, read 51,293,881 times
matt: Haven't you already moved?

Old 08-18-2009, 06:21 PM

16,060 posts, read 30,363,477 times
You can ask for people not from Cosby to answer but the truth of the matter is that anyone can answer any thread here on C-D. Also, Cosby isn't that big and we don't have a ton of readers from there.

I have a friend that has a camper there year round at a campground. She likes going to the area there for weekends to relax but said she wouldn't want to live there. She is married with two kids and she and her husband are both employed. Hope that helps!

Old 08-19-2009, 04:54 PM

Berettta,

Yeah, above I indicated you didn't have to be from there to reply..........

Hik

As I have posted in other forums, I had found a weekly to stay at until I found a place. So yes, I had made the move, but had not settled on a place to live. I have found one since posting this and it is in Cosby. It's a two bedroom two bath mountain cabin with a mountain view! I am excited to start my new life in peace and quiet. And I learned a long time ago when you get out in the country far enough it is good to be white and originally from the country so it's easy to slip back into my southern draw with little issue LOL

I was asked when I rented it if my wife was white though. Guy said he didn't care but the folks in the area would.... lol, oh well, you exchange diversity for nature I suppose.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:32 PM

5 posts, read 13,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbward View Post
I have heard mixed reactions to my declaration that I will be living in a log cabin in Cosby. Many allude to how bad the crime and people are in the Cosby/South Cocke County area. Anyone here live in Cosby and have some input to share?

I have heard that you will get easily beat up in Newport. From people from Newport.

I have heard that you don't want to make a wrong turn at night in Cocke County Period from someone from Newport.

I am not really interested in feedback from people that don't live there. I have already heard the bashing enough from folks that don't live there.

Thanks!
Cosby is the very best kept secret, great people, great charm, go to chamber of commerce of Cocke county, you will love it

Old 08-21-2009, 02:38 PM

49 posts, read 70,612 times
I just bought a house in Del Rio in July!!!!

Previously in Baltimore,md area, i have no worries about living in Cocke Co!

I compared crime stats for Newport to Baltimore,they dp not show Cosby or Del Rio.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

I feel much safer anywhere in TN than anywhere in MD!
WD

Last edited by Yac; 09-29-2009 at 06:50 AM..

Old 08-21-2009, 03:30 PM

22,583 posts, read 51,293,881 times
Sheesh. Those are pretty bad stats for a little place in the woods and the theft stats beat the pants off of Baltimore.

And here's the scariest thing. God know what crime is really going on. Cops have been in on a lot of the crime there. Some of them have been hauled off to jail, but who know what replaced them. Cocke County has been crime-ridden and corrupt as far back as anyone can remember.

I don't know what Cosby is like, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winstodawg View Post
I just bought a house in Del Rio in July!!!!

Previously in Baltimore,md area, i have no worries about living in Cocke Co!

I compared crime stats for Newport to Baltimore,they dp not show Cosby or Del Rio.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

I feel much safer anywhere in TN than anywhere in MD!
WD

Last edited by Yac; 09-29-2009 at 06:50 AM..

Old 08-23-2009, 11:14 AM

Thanks Hik! Just when I was feeling good about my move another Cocke basher appears. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>