Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 02:18 PM

23 posts, read 51,511 times

Advertisements

I haven't had a ticket in AGES, but today I received a Red Light Enforcement citation in the mail.

Incident occurred at Papermill Road and Kingston Pike (near PF Changs). The citation states the light had been red for .65 seconds when the first (of two) pictures were taken.

The only thing is, both pictures show the light as being orange? I was turning right on Kingston heading towards West Town Mall. If both pictures show an orange light does anyone think I'm wasting my time appealing this at court?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 04:10 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etacovda_00 View Post
I haven't had a ticket in AGES, but today I received a Red Light Enforcement citation in the mail.

Incident occurred at Papermill Road and Kingston Pike (near PF Changs). The citation states the light had been red for .65 seconds when the first (of two) pictures were taken.

The only thing is, both pictures show the light as being orange? I was turning right on Kingston heading towards West Town Mall. If both pictures show an orange light does anyone think I'm wasting my time appealing this at court?

Thanks!
I don't know. In my husband's picture the light was clearly red. He entered on red.

I thought that it is not illegal to enter on yellow. I try not to but that is not always possible. I really don't see how you can get the ticket.

However, the word is the ticket can't be fought. Don't know if that is true.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:53 PM

23 posts, read 51,511 times
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to go ahead and appeal the ticket, and I'll let you know what the response is. The light was clearly yellow in both pictures so we'll see. Fingers crossed!

Old 09-02-2009, 04:56 PM

I'm pulling for you!

Old 09-02-2009, 07:10 PM

2,124 posts, read 6,818,984 times
How can the camera go off if the light was yellow? I've gone thru camera intersections when it's yellow, no problem. BOTH pictures show yellow? (I also thought the pics were black & white, guess not). In a previous thread about this (mine, I think) there is a website mentioned where a TN judge ruled these cameras are legal and can't be fought. But you can fight yellow, that's for sure.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:13 AM

843 posts, read 1,431,124 times
even if the photos are black and white you should be able to tell what color based on which part of the light is lit up the most. If it's in the middle, it's yellow.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:24 PM

101 posts, read 297,532 times
The traffic light cameras is a cheap way to make money. That is fundamentally wrong in my opinion. Whatever to Tennessee and Knoxville representing freedom and liberty? My gosh, it feel like big brother is always watching me.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:33 PM

231 posts, read 585,579 times
Cool Food for Thought

Are there any additional fees associated with appealing the violation? In my jurisdiction, we charge an additional $60 fee if you are found liable during the special master hearing. By the time it goes to special master, the following process has taken place: (1) reviewed by the private company; (2) forwarded to the police department for review; (3) if a hearing is requested, first an "administrative review" is conducted again by the police department; and finally (4) sent to special master. By the time it gets to special master, the conviction rate is 99.5%.

If you are not providing any new information to the hearing, you are most likely going to be found liable. Even if there are no fees, do you want to spend 1/2 a day in court with the other 50 people that are appealing?

Old 09-03-2009, 05:46 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
"The traffic light cameras is a cheap way to make money. That is fundamentally wrong in my opinion. Whatever to Tennessee and Knoxville representing freedom and liberty? My gosh, it feel like big brother is always watching me."

I think it's fundamentally wrong to run a red light. The cameras just happen to "catch" people that run the light, and break the law. Consider this, if a cop catches you run the same red light, the fine is higher, and it goes on your record.

Since I have to travel around Cedar Bluff and Peters Road a lot, I have to say that I have seen far less wrecks and close calls from people running the red lights there. I remember seeing 5 or 6 cars go thru after the light turned red before the cameras were installed.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:32 PM

The pics are in color. So is the video link that they send you. I don't see how this is possible. Like Jersey said, the light is suppose to be rigged to go off on red. My husband was guilty as heck and the pics and video proved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville