U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2009, 04:02 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,793,487 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any opinions on living in or near Morristown, good or bad? I really haven't heard much about it. Is it located between Knoxville & Johnson City area?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 04:15 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,150,819 times
If you use the search feature and put in Morristown, Tn. you'll get more reading material that will keep you busy for hours.
Heres a link to wet your whistle...

//www.city-data.com/forum/tenne...n-talk-me.html
Pam

Old 09-05-2009, 12:21 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,622,289 times
Honestly, Bufford, there are much nicer towns around Knoxville than Morristown. It is very industrial and, in my opinion, not very scenic. Check out Maryville, Norris, Dandridge, and Lenoir City.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:58 AM

16,081 posts, read 30,661,052 times
It saddens me to say that Morristown is not a place I would direct people to consider. Morristown has changed a lot over the years, and most would say, not for the better. I actually just spoke with someone two weeks ago that moved to Greeneville from Morristown because she didn't feel safe anymore. In addition to the information you can find here on this forum using the search feature, you can also find a TV documentary done within the last year on the city and the area's workers. I am sorry but I don't remember the network. Pretty bleak.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:06 AM

22,583 posts, read 51,695,302 times
This may give you some insight into the town. The second link is a slideshow with voice narrative.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/22/us...AFd83RIMDtdZMA

Seeking Work in Morristown, Tenn. - The New York Times

Old 09-05-2009, 08:04 PM

83 posts, read 261,923 times
I saw this information and was not interested in pursuing Morristown. But when my family and I arrived in Jefferson City, we did not seemed welcomed by many. When we came to Morristown the people were welcoming and very kind. There are some sections with mexicans on the east side and in remote areas of Morristown. But they are friendly and respectful. Morristown also seems to have some weathly residents which you can see as you drive around and find many large, newer homes. I was able to find a job in a month and my husband is attending Walter's State Community College. I feel very safe and happy to be here. Feel free to email or im me for any info. Good luck in your search.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:36 PM

3 posts, read 10,140 times
Default About Morristown

This is all just "my opinion", so take it for what it is worth to you. My husband and I relocated to Morristown in 2004, moving from Las Vegas Nevada. Although everyone we've encountered here asks " why would you come here", we simply were pregnant with our first child, and had no desire of giving birth in "Sin city". We researched the area for about 8 months, flew out once covering Asheville to Knoxville to Blacksburg Virginia. For whatever reason, of everywhere we drove through that week, we fell in love with Morristown. It was everything Vegas wasn't, and we thought that it would be a nice place to start a family. We now 5 years later, have a long list of things we hate about the area, as well as a long list of things we'd hate leaving behind. I personally live in a home on an acre 2 miles off the lake, just outside city limits. Older neighborhood, with 4 duplex units and 17 houses on our "long road". It feels secluded when describing it, but is higher traffic than we preffer. We now have 3 kids, and are zoned for the "best" school district in the area, and are in panic mode as our oldest starts kindergarten next year. Wages are very low here, jobs are very scarce right now. You can find work, my husband quit his former job and had 5 offers in 4 weeks...so you can get work if you want to work. Unless you are a "professional" you are pretty much in factory or fastfood jobs. Hamblen County is a central hub between the Tri-Cities, and Knoxville, and traffic has at least doubled since we moved here. It no longer has a "small town" feel....although I don't think our idea of small town qualifies in judging the area haha. Drugs are the biggest problem here, being honest more people than not are on something it's a big problem. I mean no offense in stating fact, but Morristown holds the largest population of Hispanics in the state as of Jan. this year. While that is not a problem for some of them, most are not legal, and almost all are involved in laundering or drugs. My neighbors are an exception to that, came here bought a home and are wonderful people...but there are plenty that are not decent. The high schools don't have properly functioning AC units, so the kids are dropping out like crazy for many reasons including lack of adequate schools. It is hard to find decent people here, and when you do, most times they leave the area.

If I had my pick of location, I would choose the Gatlinburg area, simply because it is a bit ritzier, and nicer scenery wise.

I'm not shy with info, and will tell you homes are a steal right now! We payed 99,900 for ours 3 years ago, and with todays prices could have gotten the same thing in the same area for about 80,000. My husband walked away form a job paying 14.70/hr working 60 hours a week different shift each day with no scheduled days off for 4.5 years!

Weigh the good with the bad, if you have work lined up and can swing long hours with limited perks, then great.

If you've lived other places in the country, big or small, it's a bit strange to be around people that know nothing but this life. While some are non locals, most are born and raised, and simply are content with the clock in clock out kind of life. While others come here for cheaper education and get out...which sorry to say is what we will be doing in the next 5 years. You can live really well here on a limited income. Anything over about 45,000/yr, you're sitting very pretty if you have no other debt. Last stat I saw is that over 50% were making under 30,000/year. It's a cheap place to get to school and do something with yourself, as for family life and decent living....there's simply nothing here worth staying for. I would continue your research, and make a few trips before making a final choice. If you like it, that's great! If not, that's great too.

1 for sure place to avoid is Cumberland st. that is where more of the high crime, violent crime happens on a daily basis. Best place to be is out on the West end, or far out on the East end. West has the better schools, if better is what you choose to deem it.

Best of luck, sorry to sound depressive about it lol. It is a pretty place, but I won't finish raising my kids here knowing there is better things out there.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:51 PM

13,082 posts, read 37,302,137 times
I was up in the Tri Cities today and drove through Greeneville and Morristown on my way up and on my way back, just to see if I should change my impressions.

I am still totally charmed by Greeneville.

And I am still totally baffled by Morristown. It's in such a beautiful setting and has some wonderful, wonderful residents. But the town itself is uninspiring, the schools aren't very good, and certain neighborhoods have completely gone to pot. I've never been to a town the size of Morristown (at least not in TN) that has very noticeable BAD areas, something you normally see only in big cities.

I suppose if you're moving from Flint or Fort Myers, Morristown might seem like paradise. But compared to other large'ish towns in the area (particularly Greeneville and Johnson City) Morristown is really lacking.

If your job is actually in Morristown then I suppose living there wouldn't be the end of the world--depending on the neighborhood. But if you can live anywhere in East Tennessee, there are a few dozen towns I'd recommend before recommending Morristown.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:19 AM

7,279 posts, read 20,340,076 times
If you have a job waiting for you in Morristown, you can always find a nice little community outside of Morristown and drive the short commute. There are several such as: Wartsburg (awful name, beautiful land), Moorsburg, Whitesburg, Bulls Gap, St. Clair and Bean Station. As for in Morristown, personally, I wouldn't live there for the same reasons the others have already stated.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:43 PM

22,583 posts, read 51,695,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
If you have a job waiting for you in Morristown, you can always find a nice little community outside of Morristown and drive the short commute. There are several such as: Wartsburg (awful name, beautiful land), Moorsburg, Whitesburg, Bulls Gap, St. Clair and Bean Station. As for in Morristown, personally, I wouldn't live there for the same reasons the others have already stated.
I know there is a Wartburg, TN, right past Oak Ridge. I can't find a "Wartsburg" located anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville