Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2009, 10:49 AM

166 posts, read 511,085 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have just confirmed we are moving to Knoxville in December with his employer, so we are getting everything in order to start looking for places.

Victor Ashe Park has a dog park, correct? Is it members only or open to the public? I can't seem to find much info about it online. Has anybody been?

How hard will it be for us to find a rental with our 75lb dog? Most places say under 25lbs or under 50lbs. I don't care to pay a non-refundable deposit but I don't want to settle on a crappy rental so I can keep my dog (though I will if it comes down to it)

Does anybody have any recommendations for a company to help us look for a rental, or is that something better done by ourselves? I've been looking at stuff on Craigslist but haven't seen much. We are needing to move close-ish to UT due to his employer moving to a spot on Cumberland Ave.

One more question... does it get crazy in the Cumberland Ave area during UT games and weekend nights? Just wondering what we'll be dealing with.

Thanks!

P.S. - we stayed in Knoxville for a month in place near N Peters Rd. We never ventured downtown due to lack of free time. How long does it take to get from that area to UT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 10:59 AM

623 posts, read 1,542,402 times
Victor Ashe Park is public. I don't think Knoxville could support a Gramercy Park, LOL.

Look into Woodlands West. They have or had a large ad displaying their acceptance of "Big Dogs." It's right beside an I-40 exit/ramp and is 15 minutes from campus, 25 at most if there's heavy or rush hour traffic. They're decent, safe apartments, not great but hardly bad with lots of students.

http://www.peacefulkingdom.org/aptpolicies.htm

Cumberland is very crazy on game days, especially just after the games, but not too bad on a typical weekend night and hardly not drivable. "The Strip," as it's called, has been supplanted by the much better nightlife downtown.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolDude View Post
Victor Ashe Park is public. I don't think Knoxville could support a Gramercy Park, LOL.
Is the dog park public as well? Here the dog park is in a public park, but you have to use a member's key card to get in with your dog and they have to wear a park tag.

That list will be really helpful. I also have 5 chinchillas and a hamster... so hopefully they won't charge me $350 each for a noiseless, messless caged rodent . Where I am now charged for the dog but not my caged pets.

Thanks!

Old 09-26-2009, 01:22 PM

843 posts, read 1,431,763 times
The Victor Ashe dog park is public so you can come and go as you please.

I have a 70lb dog and live in Sunflower Apartments. Most of the people that live here are dog owners and not too much of the partying student crowd. They are pretty nice rentals. The kitchen is updated but the bathroom is not, but was really clean when I moved in. It is a short drive to the UT campus and close to West Town mall and other shopping. Another place to look into.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:26 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,348,908 times
I was on the strip about a month ago on a Thursday night. It was crazy and I wouldn't want to live there.
The apartment complex I live at does charge a pet fee for caged pets. I'm not sure about other complexes in Knoxville. This complex also has a weight and breed restriction on dogs.
Just wanted to give you a heads up in case it is a common practice amoung most rentals in Knoxville.
All the best in your search,
Pam

Old 09-27-2009, 05:11 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,821,410 times
Victor Ashe Park is a great park for numerous reasons, you will enjoy it. A better dog park though is at PetSafe Village (off of Lovell).... (it is public)
PetSafe Village Luxury Pet Accommodations for Dogs and Cats, Knoxville TN
I don't know why it says it's an on-leash park, it's fenced and I've never seen a leashed dog there.
The Sequoyah Hills Park on Cherokee Blvd (east side of Kingston Pike) is HUGE and you can let your dog run free there - if he comes when you call him! It is also a beautiful subdivision.
Knoxville is planning on a dog park downtown - they already have the location (Summit Hill & Central?)

from the Cedar Bluff area, I believe it is only 10-15 minutes to UT if no one is hindering your speed. On a morning commute, it can be 20-25 min; maybe someone else can tell you more.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:01 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
There's a new dog park near my house, too. It has the County's first Pest Safe dog park. http://www.knoxcounty.org/community_newsletter/pdfs/july0209.pdf (broken link)

Old 09-28-2009, 11:20 AM

Awesome! Thanks for those links. It will be a nice change from having one tiny member's only dog park here.

I appreciate everybody's help. We're headed that way after our vacation in a couple weeks to look at the area.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:09 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
We'll be here!

Have a great vacation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
View detailed profiles of: