Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 07:43 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in TN View Post
Hi Niota 2010 - Small world - I grew up in LW too. Lived in Englewood Manor and played little league in Palm Springs when I was a kid. I lived in the Acreage before coming up here when I retired in 2006. Still have the house down there - renting it until the market changes.

I looked on the Map, Niota is about as far south of Knoxville off I-75 as Newport is east of Knoxville off I-40. For 'Big City' shopping you got Knox and Chattanooga.

Be Prepared for a big culture change when you get here...It can be scarey at first..

1. People wave at you and they use ALL of their fingers
2. Total strangers will pass you by and say good morning, afternoon, etc
3. People are extremely helpful
4. Their 1st question to you "where are you from?" next question, "What church do you go to?"
5. If you are in line at Wal-Mart and the person in front of you knows the cashier, be prepared to wait until they get caught up6. The roads are very winding with few shoulders and virtually no reflectors -takes time to get used to. Driving at night - Its dark !
7. You don't gauge travel by mileage, its by 'how long it takes to get there" due to the winding roads and (in my case anyway) mountains. I live 30 miles from Sevierville, but it takes 50 minutes to get there.
8. You can travel in 3 directions from home and be in another state in no time - not like FL which takes 4 1/2 hrs just to get to GA (if you really speed)
I don't have to know the cashier to "get caught up."

I lived in swFlorida. It took almost all day to get out of that godforsaken state.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 08:50 PM

361 posts, read 861,911 times
LauraC you won't see me voting for more from the Government. I firmly believe the government can't give anything to anyone, that they don't take from someone else. I don't want to sound like an extreme nut case so I will stop there.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:25 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,701,217 times
Quote:
The main roads are very well maintained with a liquid salt mixture.
How does this liquid salt mixture affect your car? I've heard salt will eventually cause damage and rust if it is not washed off.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:15 PM

851 posts, read 2,458,282 times
We are actually west of I 75. We are not in the City of Niota.
Yeah, it is a small world. We grew up in Lake Worth and Palm Springs area. I went to Palm Springs Elementary School and JD and John I Leonard. I used to love this town, but it isn't what it used to be. We used to live in Royal Palm Beach in the acreage for over 10 years. Is that the acreage that you refered to? We can hardly wait to move. I have lived here all my life so it is a little scarry. It's a giant step for me. But at the same time it's exciting.

Quote:
Hi Niota 2010 - Small world - I grew up in LW too. Lived in Englewood Manor and played little league in Palm Springs when I was a kid. I lived in the Acreage before coming up here when I retired in 2006. Still have the house down there - renting it until the market changes.

I looked on the Map, Niota is about as far south of Knoxville off I-75 as Newport is east of Knoxville off I-40. For 'Big City' shopping you got Knox and Chattanooga.

Be Prepared for a big culture change when you get here...It can be scarey at first..

1. People wave at you and they use ALL of their fingers
2. Total strangers will pass you by and say good morning, afternoon, etc
3. People are extremely helpful
4. Their 1st question to you "where are you from?" next question, "What church do you go to?"
5. If you are in line at Wal-Mart and the person in front of you knows the cashier, be prepared to wait until they get caught up
6. The roads are very winding with few shoulders and virtually no reflectors -takes time to get used to. Driving at night - Its dark !
7. You don't gauge travel by mileage, its by 'how long it takes to get there" due to the winding roads and (in my case anyway) mountains. I live 30 miles from Sevierville, but it takes 50 minutes to get there.
8. You can travel in 3 directions from home and be in another state in no time - not like FL which takes 4 1/2 hrs just to get to GA (if you really speed)

Old 12-05-2009, 08:19 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jguillot View Post
How does this liquid salt mixture affect your car? I've heard salt will eventually cause damage and rust if it is not washed off.
I don't think it is salt. I thought it was some orther chemical. I don't know how effective it is. It's hard to tell, since it rarely snows and it doesn't last. (I write this as I look at a dusting covering my neighbors roses.) Either way, it doesn't damage cars. My husband works with cars all day long. The only damage he sees is from cars up North.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:59 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,780,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I don't think it is salt. I thought it was some orther chemical. I don't know how effective it is. It's hard to tell, since it rarely snows and it doesn't last. (I write this as I look at a dusting covering my neighbors roses.) Either way, it doesn't damage cars. My husband works with cars all day long. The only damage he sees is from cars up North.
Hik is right. In fact, some dealers come here to buy used cars and ship them north. In fact, my stepdad says he sees more corrosion on some of the cars brought here from the coast than TN cars (salt air).

Old 12-05-2009, 09:14 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,780,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Just really give some consideration as to why it's affordable to live here compared to where you are coming from when you vote, and when you think you might want more of what you had, where you came from.

I like this statement. Remember that you pay for what you get. Some things are better here and some things could use some improvement, IMO. I've known people who have moved because they love the low cost of living, but then complain that things don't seem as "well kept" as from where they have moved. I think that maybe there is a happy medium , though my medium may be different from yours. But...that's why there are different option in the area, too. Some people want the conveniences and perks of Knoxville, or Knox Co., while some just want a pretty view and friendly people, like some of the outlying areas. Remember...you get what you pay for

Old 12-05-2009, 09:39 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,701,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitties of Domination View Post
Hik is right. In fact, some dealers come here to buy used cars and ship them north. In fact, my stepdad says he sees more corrosion on some of the cars brought here from the coast than TN cars (salt air).
Thank you to Hiknapsker and Kitties of Domination. It's good to know that I won't have to worry about that when I retire in Tennessee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville