Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 04:17 PM

101 posts, read 297,639 times

Advertisements

OK, so I already searched the forums for this, but I couldn't find anything on my particular request of looking for an inexpensive dentist.

My wife's tooth is killing her, I am in between jobs, and I don't have dental insurance. She needs to see a dentist and we are completely new to the area. I was wondering if there are any reasonable options for dentists who don't charge an arm and a leg.

This would be such a BIG help if one of you knows of a cheap dentists. I wish dentists could just post their costs online so you could shop them like shopping for groceries at the store, but they don't. Hmmm maybe and idea for a website. Anyway, just wondering if anyone could help me out.

THANK YOU!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 04:30 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,349,268 times
Hmmmm, I don't think choosing a dentist based on cost alone is wise. My mother was famous for choosing dentists that way and trust me... I suffered because of that. Are you in Knoxville? I just went to a wonderful caring office and ended up with a root canal. They were willing to break it into payments and spread out the cost.
It's Denta Care of Knoxville, P.C. (865)-544-1711 Good luck,
Pam

Old 10-01-2009, 08:05 PM

101 posts, read 297,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam& Bill View Post
Hmmmm, I don't think choosing a dentist based on cost alone is wise. My mother was famous for choosing dentists that way and trust me... I suffered because of that. Are you in Knoxville? I just went to a wonderful caring office and ended up with a root canal. They were willing to break it into payments and spread out the cost.
It's Denta Care of Knoxville, P.C. (865)-544-1711 Good luck,
Pam
Yeah, good point. Thanks for the referral, Pam. I am actually about to be put on my insurance at work, so hopefully my wife can wait it out so that it can be covered and I don't have to worry about cost as much. When I had made the post though, my wife was in some pretty terrible pain. She only gets the pain with really hot or really cold substances. From what I recall, it's probably either a cracked filling or a pulp infection that will require a root canal. I feel so bad for my wife because she has so many teeth problems. Meanwhile, I have never had a cavity. I suppose it's genetic considering her dental hygiene is better than mine.

Thanks.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:58 AM

374 posts, read 945,581 times
Default An inexpensive dentist

is an oxymoron

Old 10-03-2009, 09:22 PM

458 posts, read 1,271,907 times
My dentist, who is located downtown, is Rick Gallaher. He's TN born and bred and has never been anything but understanding and kind with my whole family. Bills us as needed -- though I cannot guarantee that for all.

Good Luck.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:55 PM

27 posts, read 78,196 times
Gary Kinder in Knoxville is good. Not sure about cheap though....

Old 10-27-2009, 06:41 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,589,402 times
Some short term fixes are sea salt and clove oil. Or get the family doc to prescribe an antibiotic.

I tried comparison shopping for endodontist and it was an exercise in futility. All they would do is offer a credit card, as if I want to pay interest on an overpriced procedure. I wound up driving to WVU in Morgantown to get root canals. My local dentist did the crowns. Since then I have found a local dentist who will do root canals, Dr Hazenfelt. Fortunately I haven't had to use him for that.

Still not cheap either way. $500 instead of $1000. I have some sort of discount card Dr. H accepts. Now I understand why so many people around here just have their teeth pulled.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:34 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,780,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmgatech View Post
Yeah, good point. Thanks for the referral, Pam. I am actually about to be put on my insurance at work, so hopefully my wife can wait it out so that it can be covered and I don't have to worry about cost as much. When I had made the post though, my wife was in some pretty terrible pain. She only gets the pain with really hot or really cold substances. From what I recall, it's probably either a cracked filling or a pulp infection that will require a root canal. I feel so bad for my wife because she has so many teeth problems. Meanwhile, I have never had a cavity. I suppose it's genetic considering her dental hygiene is better than mine.

Thanks.

Get some benzocaine liquid at the drugstore for the time being..

Old 10-29-2009, 08:44 AM

12 posts, read 37,005 times
Another good pain reliever is Percogeasic. I couldn't find it at Wal-greens, but the CVS in Western Plaza has it. Whenever I have any kind of tooth pain, I take that. It is good for numbing that blinding tooth pain associated with root canals.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:36 PM

204 posts, read 580,634 times
If you rub a piece of ice in the V area between thumb and finger{kind of the web area} it works. Not permanent but it works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville