Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 08:09 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,112,648 times

Advertisements

Thank goodness I didn't sound like I was mad at the hurricane victims!

I am constantly amazed at how housing prices shoot up after a hurricane!

Did your husband end up working at Denso?

Old 06-18-2007, 08:33 AM

340 posts, read 1,185,833 times
Housing prices? Boy do I know what you mean! We sold our home right before Katrina, and it sold a year after Katrina (the lady who bought our home decided that coastal living wasn't for her after Katrina), and she got $30,000 more for it than she paid us for it! Of course, she had to fix the yard back up, and had to live in those terrible conditions for a year first. She deserved the $30,000.

Actually, my husband was also applying at Newell Rubbermaid at the same time as Denso (they had an expansion then as well), and he was offered a job there doing what he enjoys (shipping). He had to take a pay cut from his MS job, but in the last 18 months has gone back up to where he was (nice qtly incentive raises to get people in there when there was so much competition with Denso). And he has a better chance of getting on first shift within a couple of years. At Denso, he was told that he would have to stay in 2nd shift for at least 5 years before moving shifts. He was right to take the job at Newell, because he didn't make the final selection at Denso.

Oh, and for those of you looking for employment, I got my wonderful job through a head-hunter that was looking through resumes at monster.com. The agency specialized in accounting jobs, and they wanted to fill a position where I now work, and fortunately for me, the rest is history. I can highly recommend the job placement places. The employer pays, and I was a direct-hire because of the sensitive data I handle.

I was hired for my first job here about a month after relocation. Got that position from a newspaper advertisement, but I left the job after a few days. It was a pretty good company, but I just didn't want to work in public accounting anymore, and truth be told, after the whole Katrina thing, I wasn't ready to work yet. I was still very shaken from the losses my family endured, and our leaving under the terrible circumstances.

And with the other job that I was in the running for at the same time as my current position, I got that interview through a newspaper ad. I sent out about 30 resumes total, and posted my resume at about 4 different sites, including Knox News Sentinel.

Last edited by BarbG; 06-18-2007 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: Adding info

Old 06-19-2007, 09:27 PM

812 posts, read 1,668,211 times
Hik, I'm glad to know what is said in private stays private. On some other boards I know that as a cause for 'taking a time out'.

Let's be honest, here is how that exchange 'went down'

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster
Bear in mind that East Tennessee is VERY southern. I purposely moved here for that reason. But it is not for everyone.

Well if we are talking dinner with Borat, ok fine I can deal with that.. It's the Dueling banjo scene that bothers me.
Now I ask, how many people have you met in this area that fit the textbook definition of the people out of the movie Deliverance? I have yet to meet anyone that even starts to come close. Have I met some 'down home' 'good ole boys' who's ideas of fun are very divergent with mine? Absolutely; but they have always respected me as much as I respect them. Therin lies the beauty of this area. You might be polar opposites of the people you are dealing with, but if you show them respect, they return the favor, much UNLIKE my Floridian 'friends'.

Another point of order is the dichotomy of online personality versus real life. The only thing that is exactly the same about me in person as is online is that I have a very low threshold for people who 'hate'. Other then that; Here I am an arrogant know it all; IRL; I'm very down to earth and a humble professional.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:24 AM

Nice to see you realize it is not the "dueling banjo scene."

As far as "what is said in private stays in private," this ain't Vegas, baby.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:56 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,902,504 times
Hik, don't you ever sleep, or do you just doze off between posts? I think I would be crosseyed at 2:45a.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:24 AM

109 posts, read 358,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbG View Post
Housing prices? Boy do I know what you mean! We sold our home right before Katrina, and it sold a year after Katrina (the lady who bought our home decided that coastal living wasn't for her after Katrina), and she got $30,000 more for it than she paid us for it! Of course, she had to fix the yard back up, and had to live in those terrible conditions for a year first. She deserved the $30,000.

Actually, my husband was also applying at Newell Rubbermaid at the same time as Denso (they had an expansion then as well), and he was offered a job there doing what he enjoys (shipping). He had to take a pay cut from his MS job, but in the last 18 months has gone back up to where he was (nice qtly incentive raises to get people in there when there was so much competition with Denso). And he has a better chance of getting on first shift within a couple of years. At Denso, he was told that he would have to stay in 2nd shift for at least 5 years before moving shifts. He was right to take the job at Newell, because he didn't make the final selection at Denso.

Oh, and for those of you looking for employment, I got my wonderful job through a head-hunter that was looking through resumes at monster.com. The agency specialized in accounting jobs, and they wanted to fill a position where I now work, and fortunately for me, the rest is history. I can highly recommend the job placement places. The employer pays, and I was a direct-hire because of the sensitive data I handle.

I was hired for my first job here about a month after relocation. Got that position from a newspaper advertisement, but I left the job after a few days. It was a pretty good company, but I just didn't want to work in public accounting anymore, and truth be told, after the whole Katrina thing, I wasn't ready to work yet. I was still very shaken from the losses my family endured, and our leaving under the terrible circumstances.

And with the other job that I was in the running for at the same time as my current position, I got that interview through a newspaper ad. I sent out about 30 resumes total, and posted my resume at about 4 different sites, including Knox News Sentinel.
HEY Barb

I am so happy you had a good experience in your relocation, finding a job and all....I was getting a bit concerned because I am also relocating to Knoxville and I am quite worried on my luck in finding a job. I am currently putting my home on the market and must wait for it to sell before doing anything else...who knows how long it will take me to sell....I currently work in the administrative/marketing field and I have a bachelors degree in business. I have 5 years experience in the admin field, and after visiting Knoxville and researching jobs on the internet, it seems to be that the job market is moving...My hopes were pretty high because I have commercial real estate experience and a degree....now, I am not sure how I will do when it is my time to search for a job...Actually, I had a job interview while I was visiting Knoxville (Winstead Marketing) , but this turned out to be more like a sales job based on commission and I can't afford to relocate with a commission base job. Now, my husband works in computers, and is a Tech for “KYOCERA” copy machines. My hopes were also quite high for him finding a job in his field as well.....but again, I do not live there...What do you think Barb? Hiknapster?? I will take your advice about seeking maybe a head hunter

Old 06-20-2007, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Hik, don't you ever sleep, or do you just doze off between posts? I think I would be crosseyed at 2:45a.
It was 4:25 a.m., and I had already been up for a hour. I go into work for 6 a.m. I just work weird hours. And yes, I am now on my lunch break!

Old 06-20-2007, 08:17 AM

Suzycue: I think it's going to be different for everyone. I know it's not like Florida, where they are desperate for workers.

This is a completely different job market, with life-long locals and an university.

You'll have to put your name out there and see if you get any bites.

I know many locals that are not at the job they want to be.

On the other hand, my husband and I are, but that took well over a year.

Also, there's a decent job market for my position, even though the pay is not great, and my husband is highly skilled, reliable and easy to get along with (unless he's home!). Still, it took along time for anyone to give him a chance.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:02 PM

109 posts, read 358,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Suzycue: I think it's going to be different for everyone. I know it's not like Florida, where they are desperate for workers.

This is a completely different job market, with life-long locals and an university.

You'll have to put your name out there and see if you get any bites.

I know many locals that are not at the job they want to be.

On the other hand, my husband and I are, but that took well over a year.

Also, there's a decent job market for my position, even though the pay is not great, and my husband is highly skilled, reliable and easy to get along with (unless he's home!). Still, it took along time for anyone to give him a chance.

you are so right! it is a totally different market....In Florida they are desperate for workers because they know they can find CHEAP labor here....I am hoping to find something different in Knoxville....I am hopeful to find a better paying job in the future and find my career.....for the time being, I will settle for something that can help me sustain myself for a couple of months until I am more familiar with the area....I don't even know where we want to live yet...so, I am going to have to sacrifice a lot of things for a while, but I am willing to do it for a better life

Old 06-20-2007, 04:40 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,902,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
It was 4:25 a.m., and I had already been up for a hour. I go into work for 6 a.m. I just work weird hours. And yes, I am now on my lunch break!
Sorry, forgot y'all are 2 hours ahead of us....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville