Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 04:19 AM

2 posts, read 48,421 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We'll be driving up there soon and are wanting to know how you avoid the mountains to get there. Is there a route that takes you via, less mountanious interstate? We'll be driving a 38ft Motor Home and the wife does not like driving (as a passenger), when we go through mountains. Trying to make her life a bit easier, so asking for directions first

Thanks for any assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 07:08 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
You have 3 options. I see you are in Tampa so the first should be the easiest for you.

1.Take 75, up through Atlanta to Chattanooga to 40 and over to Sevierville and then drop down to Pigeon Forge. This way you do a bit of climbing through the Dalton GA area but no really up and down over the mountains.

2. Take 75 to 85 out of Atlanta, picking up 26 in SC. Go to 40 just South of Asheville and cut west into TN. This is going through the mountains low verses up and over, but VERY windy, several miles of "switch backs" that can be very stressful.

3. Same as 2 but stay on 26 from S.C., take it all the way into TN and pick up 81 S that merges with 40. This way is primarily very slow, easy climb until you get to north of Asheville, then there is some up and down with a few steep grades, but an easy 6 lanes with little traffic.

For the least over mountains way is #1, but there are several spots of heavy traffic through Atlanta and then through Knoxville.
For the straightest shot, quickest route is #2 but those 20 some miles of switch backs with heavy traffic can be a real pain.
For the least traffic, prettiest route but a bit longer, #3.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:26 AM

621 posts, read 1,614,589 times
I moved from Tampa to Knoxville last November, drove 12 hours in the rain pulling as 12' U-Haul. Atlanta will be the worst, but everytime i have gone thru Atlanta, i have gone straight thru, no by-pass and no problems. Follow 40, Like mbmouse suggested, and get off at the Pigeon Forge exit. No problems at all... till you get to P.F. and deal with traffic.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:36 AM

24,766 posts, read 28,507,453 times
Just remember if on I-75 going threw Atlanta rush hour starts around 04:30am mon~fri. Weekends on Saturday morning 05:30 am every one is starting to head out of town.. North Ga.. TN and Sunday 2:00pm every one heading back to Atlanta. Also on week ends check and see if theirs any races at the Lowes Motor Sport Speedway.. I-75 & I-275 can be a bear if every one is heading in or out from the races...I-26 ... I-40 major truck route around the base of the Smokies / Appalachian Mtn..From Asheville I-40 up towards Knoxville.. very few fuel stops on I-40.. should fuel on I-26 -or I-40 as soon as you can.. the area I'm talking about is the part next to the Great Smokey Mountain National Park border... about 50-70 miles.. and yes it's hilly ....

Old 10-05-2009, 11:47 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,414,121 times
Hi, I live close to Ft. Lauderdale so we went up on I-95 to Raleigh NC, then I-40 across into TN. The only place it got steep was around the Black Mtn./Asheville NC to TN border area. I was in a tiny Toyota Tercel(this was in '97, did same drive again in 2000 but in a Camry,lol) & that car would NOT go over 35mph in the mts. This route wasn't too bad at all BUT, it maybe too far out of your way. Good luck & have a safe trip(wish I was going too, lol)!

Old 10-05-2009, 01:20 PM

36,493 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Your going to Pigeon Forge and you want to avoid mountains?

Old 10-05-2009, 01:51 PM

97 posts, read 271,764 times
I think the OP's concern is curvy roads, not up and over, regarding the mountains. My wife gets motions sickness very easily and I pick routes to avoid the curves.

I travel between Tennessee and Tampa frequently, having family in Tampa, Knoxville and Nashville.

If curves are your concern, follow bmouse's #1. Take I-75 from Tampa to where it intersects I-40 just west of Knoxville. Then go east on I-40 to Exit 407. Then straight south on Hwy 66, which will turn into US 441, to Pigeon Forge. No mountains, no curves, good roads and only two turns from start to finish.

In Atlanta, I would highly recommend following I-75 through downtown and not taking I-285 around town on either the east or west side, even at rush hour. I've hit Atlanta at every time of day and every day of the week. The I-285 bypass has more traffic than I-75 downtown, and it adds many, many miles and intersections. If a wreck closes I-75 in downtown and you *have* to take the bypass, using the west side will take about half the time of taking the east side.

In Knoxville, take I-40 through downtown instead of the I-640 bypass. I-40 in downtown just reopened after a two year project to widen the road and they did a wonderful job. The bypass will just add miles.

All of the routes mentioned that go through North Carolina have to cross the Smokey Mountains to get to Pigeon Forge. I-40 follows a river through the mountains, so it is not up and down, but it's as crooked as a snake. My wife would have her head in a sick sack all the way on that road.

Being a Floridian, I'm sure you are aware, but fuel at stops along the Interstate in northern Florida, between Ocala and Georgia, is often as much as 30 cents a gallon higher than in Tampa or south Georgia. If you can't reach Valdosta without refueling, buy in Gainesville or Ocala. Coming back, fill up in Valdosta whether you need to or not, it's much cheaper.

Travel safe, and enjoy Tennessee.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:49 PM

851 posts, read 2,457,236 times
Default Take option # 1

mbmouse is correct option # 1 is the best bet (if she doesn't like mountains).
My husband used to drive OTR and he also thought that Option 1 was the best, not as pretty as the other options but surely a better choice for your wife. Enjoy and have a safe trip.
I wish it was me

Old 10-05-2009, 05:31 PM

35 posts, read 143,167 times
I came back to Ohio from the Tampa - St.Pete area over Labor Day weekend, straight up I-75 to I-71, I didn`t think there was much in the way of mountains on I-75, but have no idea of where or what road you would take to Pigeon Forge.

There was some road construction in GA but no real delays. No idea if it is done yet.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:34 AM

2 posts, read 48,421 times
Wow, everyone thanks for the great suggestions and we'll see you next week in TN!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville