Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2009, 12:56 PM

5 posts, read 12,122 times

Advertisements

Hello to all. I am wondering if it is even worth it to try and have ordiances for the City changed or modified. I am wanting to have nigerian dwarf goats, but cant bc they have labeled my area residental( South Knoxville). Is it worth it or not it is not. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 04:19 PM

374 posts, read 945,472 times
Default How many

goats did you want, did you want to have them as pets or raise them on-going, how much land to you have for them to "roam", are you in the city or county?

I think if you're outside the city limits and in the county, you've thoroughly researched having goats, and still feel it is practical for your location, you might want to consider finding out the necessary steps to change an ordinance or zoning. But remember, this can open the door for your neighbors to bring farm animals onto their property also, which could include roosters, peacocks, pigs, and much, much more.

I've read that this is becoming an issue in other urban areas because people want to have goats as pets. I personally have two pet Pygmy goats (wethers), but live in a rural area and have 2+ acres. I have a fenced "yard-size" area, probably around one-half acre, for them to roam. They have eaten all the underbrush and I'm now concerned that they don't have enough shrubs to "browse" and be happy. Before you bring these wonderful little creatures into your family circle, please be sure you are adequately prepared to provide enough room for them, proper shelter, and generally good living conditions. They're great outdoor pets, but inside they have baaaaaaaad manners

Old 10-07-2009, 12:14 PM

5 posts, read 12,122 times
Yes I would love to have them, but I have called who I have to call and they werent really to nice about it, but it is no from them, even though as I have researched it they can give you a permit, the issue lies in whether you live in parts that are for agriculture and it is not in my area. The only thing to do now is just find some land out in the county and buy it and move..I know alot of ppl are doing this and it is great. Mine would have been for milking mostly, I have close to an acre and a half, but I understand both sides so I know what I have to do..

Old 10-07-2009, 05:15 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatteddragon View Post
Yes I would love to have them, but I have called who I have to call and they werent really to nice about it, but it is no from them, even though as I have researched it they can give you a permit, the issue lies in whether you live in parts that are for agriculture and it is not in my area. The only thing to do now is just find some land out in the county and buy it and move..I know alot of ppl are doing this and it is great. Mine would have been for milking mostly, I have close to an acre and a half, but I understand both sides so I know what I have to do..
You can go a mile or so and be out in the county! Go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville