Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 08:27 PM

37 posts, read 127,457 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone, I'm looking to move to east Tennessee soon.I'm looking for a small town friendly ppl,good safe schools,affordable living. Is there homes less than $70,000 homes for a family of 4? I'm looking at Scott County,Hawkins County,and Blount County. Any Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 08:42 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt169 View Post
Hi Everyone, I'm looking to move to east Tennessee soon.I'm looking for a small town friendly ppl,good safe schools,affordable living. Is there homes less than $70,000 homes for a family of 4? I'm looking at Scott County,Hawkins County,and Blount County. Any Suggestions?
You are mostly going to find some mobile homes or very, very small homes (900 feet or less) that are very, very old and perhaps not in the best condition. Hawkins County has a high unemployment rate but Scott County's is almost 20 percent. Your best bet might be to find a mobile home in Blount County.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:56 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Quote:
First question would be do you have work lined up? Can you find 70k houses for a family of 4..yes...but will you find work in a reasonable commute time from that house..maybe but you might also have to put a lot of work into that house. I just did a quick search in Rogersville and came up with 6 homes (not mobiles) that were 3 bedroom houses listed at less than 75k. Now, most of them have only one bathroom, but they can be found. One even had 2.88 acres, just that it was a much older home. If you go out into neighboring towns like Surgoinsville or Bulls Gap, you could find more, however, again, it comes down to the work/income base and it's proximities.

I also moved your post into it's own thread so it won't get lost in another thread, and this way you may get a lot more options and opinions.

Hope that helps.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:15 AM

Yes. I ran my search for Scott and Blount Counties.

I found a 1,434 home in Friendsville for 69,900. Sits on nearly 1.5 acres. Central H/A is 1 yr old; water heater is 6 yrs old; roof is 7 yrs old. Needs TLC, though.

Friendsville is in Blount County. Better chance of getting a job, but like MBMouse says, best to have one lined up.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:35 AM

Default Looking to move to East Tennessee

Thank yall very much. I look at Scoot County and Hawkins County on the internet site. Both seem very nice.I liked Scott County better.I seen Rogersville how is that town? What about Blount County,TN? What are some good small towns there?.I've been to some of Townsend any other places that is affordable and small towns with friendly ppl? Thanks agian. Also I'm going to buy a house,I'm going to rent a apartment first for me and my wife and both will be working and hopefully having kids in Tennessee! I have a degree in Agriculture and Foresty but I can do anything really and my wife will hopefully be getting into accounting. Any advice? Thanks Agian

Last edited by Matt169; 10-08-2009 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: needed to add some more things

Old 10-08-2009, 10:22 AM

Hawkins County has an unemployment rate of 11 percent.

I would suggest that you read some of the threads on this forum. It will give you a plethora of information that you will need to make a move.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:35 AM

What about Scott County and Blount County? What are some small towns there? Which ones have jobs,good-safe schools,and friendly ppl with affordable houses for me?

Old 10-08-2009, 10:45 AM

Once again, Scott County has an unemployment rate of almost 20 percent.

You'd probably be better off in Blount. As previously stated, Friendsville is in Blount. Maryville is also located there.

At the top of this page, on the left, it says "City-Data.com" next to a skyline. Click on that. You'll be able to find stats that will assist you in your move.

Have you applied for jobs in your areas of interest? What experience do you have? Where do you live now? Are you currently employed in that field?

Moving without a job is not advised, considering our current economic situation.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:58 AM

Thank you for your help. I will look at these places in Blount County what are some good small towns for me?. I haven't looked at any jobs because I don't know where I'm going to end up. I've worked for Lowe's,State Road(only summer),and Dr.Pepper but I've went into Foresty and Agriculture in School. My girlfriend is taking accouting in college now. Can we make it making 60 to 70k a year in Blount? I live in West Virginia but I'm a Volunteer at heart my family loves Tennessee we go to Tennessee every year. Been coming for 18 years or more. I'm going to visit Blount in July and try to go to Hawkins County and figure things out. I hope you can answer more questions for me. Thank You Very Much!

Old 10-08-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Thank you for your help. I will look at these places in Blount County what are some good small towns for me?. I haven't looked at any jobs because I don't know where I'm going to end up. I've worked for Lowe's,State Road(only summer),and Dr.Pepper but I've went into Foresty and Agriculture in School. My girlfriend is taking accouting in college now. Can we make it making 60 to 70k a year in Blount? I live in West Virginia but I'm a Volunteer at heart my family loves Tennessee we go to Tennessee every year. Been coming for 18 years or more. I'm going to visit Blount in July and try to go to Hawkins County and figure things out. I hope you can answer more questions for me. Thank You Very Much!
You are very welcome!

Yes, you can live on 60K to 70K in this area and do fine.

I think this link will give you some good info, including small towns.

Blount County, Tennessee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please come visit. It is the best way to see what is a good fit for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville