Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 05:15 PM

374 posts, read 941,412 times

Advertisements

but if a job is a major concern, I would stay close to Knoxville and look for a nice area within driving distance to work. Find a job and then look for where you want to live. I've lived in E TN since 1982, love it here, but my personal observation is that once you cross outside the Knox County line, jobs become scarce (and locals are preferred) and pay decreases substantially.

Right now I live in a small rural town/community within 50 or so miles of Knoxville. I'm fortunate that I love where I live and in the two years I've lived here have been accepted extremely well by the local community. AND, am very fortunate to still be working, even though my hours were cut in Jan. The down-side to small towns is, I think, nearly everywhere work is not particularly abundant, especially now. Do an online search for counties in the E TN region and you will see that Knox and Blount counties are lower than most other surrounding counties. Now, my general opinnion is not necessarily accounting for some of the surrounding areas that are blessed with factories, which typically will have a higher pay-scale and benefits. However, many of these factories have either closed or had severe cut-backs in recent years. Some are still going strong.

My advice - find a job and rent for a while. Find a really good job and put your kids in private school! Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 07:02 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,099,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt169 View Post
Right,I plan to rent for awhile maybe a 1 or 2 and secure a job and then buying a house. I've looked at some towns just wanted to know what yall thought. Big War Creek,Kyles Ford,Powell Valley,and Flag Pond. Can anyone tell me about some things in these towns?
Look. None of those places are anywhere near Knoxville. They aren't even towns. Most are near the VA line and one of them is up in the Cherokee National Forest. Once again, they are not near Knoxville.

Try putting this post out on the main forum, but good luck. They are not really towns. The odds of anyone knowing anything about them are slim. How the heck are you picking these places? You definitely want to drive around and see for yourself if you are interested in places like that.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:13 PM

16,174 posts, read 32,372,280 times
Quote:
Looking to find a place in East Tennessee that is a Small Town,Low Crime,and Good-Safe Schooling. Also needing to find a Town that is low cost of living there. Where you can find a nice home,3bedroom for around 65 to 75k. Can anyone help me?
Check out the Tennessee page on City-Data.com to check out individual towns. You can use the drop down bar to navigate to larger cities. Click on the town/city and a page will pop up with demographics, crime statistics and other information.

//www.city-data.com/city/Tennessee.html

Old 10-14-2009, 07:28 PM

Default Oops,

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Gal now View Post
. Do an online search for counties in the E TN region and you will see that Knox and Blount counties are lower than most other surrounding counties.
I meant to say Knox and Blount counties are a lower unemployment rate...

Old 10-14-2009, 08:05 PM

37 posts, read 127,049 times
I would like to be near knoxville.Like a 20 or 30min drive to work,but I want a small town feel with low crime. If anyone can name some towns near knoxville that are 20 or 30mins away then great. I have been looking on city data at counties and the towns and I do look at crime,rent,and how much you make. I'm asking people that are close to the area or know somethin about it that could help me out.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:15 PM

It can be VERY rural 20 or 30 minutes away. Something like Maynardville would probably be great.

Here you go, sweet pea, this will give you something to browse though until you can come visit.

Maynardville, Tennessee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Union County Tennessee

Old 10-14-2009, 08:41 PM

Default Another direction

for areas would be west, toward Lenoir City, Loudon, Sweetwater. Nice areas/communities, can get out in the country quickly, beautiful area, and good proximity to Knoxville. Property is generally less expensive the further you get from Knoxville - except Sevier County. But best opportunity for good work/pay will still be in Knoxville. Honestly, if I was younger, and I suspect you are, I'd look for a nice area/suburb in Knox County. Fountain City, Halls, Powell, Karns - all are nice and you can find places with a rural feel/atmosphere. And, speaking from VERY hard-learned experience, the best advice I can offer is to rent first.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:50 PM

37 posts, read 127,049 times
Thank yall very much I will look up Maynardville and see whats going on.Is there a lot of crime and gangs in knoxville? and how about around the stadium there a lot of crime in that area? Yeah I do plan to rent for a 1 or 2yrs before buying.Yes I am pretty young 20yrs old lol. I just want that country feel ya know.I have it here kinda but I wanna be in Tennessee(my home)lol

Old 10-14-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Thank yall very much I will look up Maynardville and see whats going on.Is there a lot of crime and gangs in knoxville? and how about around the stadium there a lot of crime in that area? Yeah I do plan to rent for a 1 or 2yrs before buying.Yes I am pretty young 20yrs old lol. I just want that country feel ya know.I have it here kinda but I wanna be in Tennessee(my home)lol
Knoxville is a city, so there is crime. Most of it is not random, so that is good. And it is certainly better than where I used to live, in Fort Myers, Florida.

I don't like living near crime, and have a child, but I live within the city limits of Knoxville. I love it.

You will be very, very safe going to a Vols game or walking around the city!

But if you are used to rural, it is a good idea to at least start off in the rural areas.

Luttrell is a nice little place. Kenny Chesney is from there. It is also in Union County, like Maynardville.

Luttrell, Tennessee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Blaine is also a very pretty and quiet place. Lots of produce farms. It's in Grainger County, which is famous for their tomatoes.

Blaine, Tennessee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Grainger County, Tennessee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.graingertn.com/

Old 10-14-2009, 10:00 PM

7,507 posts, read 17,133,490 times
Areas around the stadium (Neyland I'm assuming) include Fort Sanders and downtown. I would imagine that these are some of the higher-crime areas in the city of Knoxville.

Directly across the river is South Knox though which is much quieter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville