Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 06:20 AM

290 posts, read 764,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Yes, there is property out there that is unrestricted, but it is just that, unrestricted. At that point, you would have to buy enough land around you to make sure that you have some sort of a buffer if you are so inclined. It is surely a Catch-22. Some folks want to build modular and some folks don't want to live next to them.

I do want to mention that it is always a good idea to hire a professional - ANY professional - to assist you, especially when it is FREE.
Hiknapster
I'm sorry if I offended you. I didn't mean to project that I had anything against real estate people. Not at all! We more than likely will use a real estate agent when it comes time. But it is also nice to be able to make a smooth transaction without paying a portion of the profit in a fee, since we need to squeeze every dollar out of our house as we can to have more to purchase with. But with that being said, everyone has to make a living.

With the type of housing my husband and I was considering, there shouldn't be any restrictions. These modular system built homes are in some of the subdivisions there in Knoxville. I can't remember the name of the one that is on the edge of Knoxville but it has some beautiful homes we walked through that were selling for $180,00 and up on the property. We're just not crazy about being stuck in a subdivision anymore. So we'll see what we end up with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 08:41 AM

851 posts, read 2,458,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLuce View Post
I don't blame you. I don't want to live next door to a bunch of trash but I also don't want anyone telling me what to put on my house ie. brick, siding etc. I don't live that way now and I'm not going to start. Good luck in your search.
I will DM you.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:26 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Hiknapster
I'm sorry if I offended you. I didn't mean to project that I had anything against real estate people. Not at all! We more than likely will use a real estate agent when it comes time. But it is also nice to be able to make a smooth transaction without paying a portion of the profit in a fee, since we need to squeeze every dollar out of our house as we can to have more to purchase with. But with that being said, everyone has to make a living.

With the type of housing my husband and I was considering, there shouldn't be any restrictions. These modular system built homes are in some of the subdivisions there in Knoxville. I can't remember the name of the one that is on the edge of Knoxville but it has some beautiful homes we walked through that were selling for $180,00 and up on the property. We're just not crazy about being stuck in a subdivision anymore. So we'll see what we end up with.
Oh my goodness! Not in the least!

This is an information forum and I love providing information. I've been doing that for years and for more than three of those years I worked for Comcast.

But you said, "My husband and I thought about checking local papers and hoping we could find something from an individual rather than through a real estate person." I just want put aside the misconception that going it alone in that situation will save you money. I cannot stress enough that I do not mean ME or that I have any hard feelings. But so many people just don't know that it is free.

And yes, there are modular homes that are in subdivisions. They are very well-built homes.

There really is a dilemma regarding subdivisions and I understand that.

Last edited by hiknapster; 03-25-2010 at 09:51 AM..

Old 03-25-2010, 12:51 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,938,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Yes, there is property out there that is unrestricted, but it is just that, unrestricted. At that point, you would have to buy enough land around you to make sure that you have some sort of a buffer if you are so inclined. It is surely a Catch-22. Some folks want to build modular and some folks don't want to live next to them.

I do want to mention that it is always a good idea to hire a professional - ANY professional - to assist you, especially when it is FREE.
I've had 3 seperate realtors looking for me & they have not been much help, therefore I've been looking on line & calling the actual realtor that has the property listed. They have told me that I should look out in the Newport area, Cosby Co. or Sevierville & that is not where I want to be. Then if I do find something I'll need to make sure it is buildable! And utilities nearby, etc. And that the area is decent, not trashy. I've decided to expand my search from Dandridge, Kodak areas to Seymour & Strawberry Plains, Mascot & anything in between!
I do want to stay with the east side(SE, NE) of Knoxville.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I don't blame you. I don't want to live next door to a bunch of trash but I also don't want anyone telling me what to put on my house ie. brick, siding etc. I don't live that way now and I'm not going to start. Good luck in your search.
Thank you!

Old 03-25-2010, 02:05 PM

When we were looking for property at one point we had called 4-5 realtors and only 2 called us back. When we arrived in TN we also spoke with realtors (3) in the areas that we were interested in. One took us to the top of the highest mountain right after I told them that I was from FL and didn't want to be on the side of a mountain. And wasn't really sure which property was the one that he was showing us for sure. Then gave us several MLS listings to go look at. When I called to make an offer on a property in Seymour, we found out that he wasn't supposed to show us that one.
Then the next one really tried hard but did show us some properties that were out of our price range. And it took like an hour to get to the property on the other side of town. So that was wasted time.
One told us that he wouldn't show us anything in a certain area because from what I gathered he didn't like the area or didn't think we would like it.
Along the way we picked up the small local newspapers (like the trader)and that's how we found our property.
So don't give up, I'm sure that you will find what you are looking for.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:12 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
I am very sorry to hear that.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:54 PM

It's ok because we ended up with what we REALLY wanted. And out of all the properties that we looked at, none of them is quite as nice as what we have. We probably looked at about 30+ properties. I knew it was the right one when I saw it. If we had not gone through all of that, we probably would have bought something that was nice but not quite the right one.
And I know not all realtors are like that. That was our first real trip to look at property and had not dealt with any realtors up to that point, other than on the phone.
I even thought about becoming a realtor when I got up there because I had a hard time getting them to call me back. And knowing that the property they were showing me was the one advertised.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLORIDA TO NIOTA 2010 View Post
It's ok because we ended up with what we REALLY wanted. And out of all the properties that we looked at, none of them is quite as nice as what we have. We probably looked at about 30+ properties. I knew it was the right one when I saw it. If we had not gone through all of that, we probably would have bought something that was nice but not quite the right one.
And I know not all realtors are like that. That was our first real trip to look at property and had not dealt with any realtors up to that point, other than on the phone.
I even thought about becoming a realtor when I got up there because I had a hard time getting them to call me back. And knowing that the property they were showing me was the one advertised.
So I'm not the only one having problems!!

Old 03-25-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufford View Post
I've had 3 seperate realtors looking for me & they have not been much help, therefore I've been looking on line & calling the actual realtor that has the property listed. They have told me that I should look out in the Newport area, Cosby Co. or Sevierville & that is not where I want to be. Then if I do find something I'll need to make sure it is buildable! And utilities nearby, etc. And that the area is decent, not trashy. I've decided to expand my search from Dandridge, Kodak areas to Seymour & Strawberry Plains, Mascot & anything in between!
I do want to stay with the east side(SE, NE) of Knoxville.
Sorry I meant Cocke County not Cosby Co.!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville