Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 07:20 PM

290 posts, read 764,111 times

Advertisements

I have been trying to read as many of the posts I can on Maryville and Seymour and surrounding areas. We will be coming over in two more weeks for another "lookey loo" as to an area that calls our name to us to settle. It's just my husband and I so a good school district is not important to us, although around here a good school district guarantees you a nicer area to live, not sure how it rates over there. We don't want to live in the city limits of any town to avoid city taxes, and we just like it outside of a town anyway. My question is what part of Maryville or what side of Maryville should we look for that might appeal to us? We would rather stay out of a large development type subdivision where they have got rid of all the trees. Property $170K or below if we can get something nice for that, hopefully with a little land to it, we just don't want to be stacked on our neighbors. We really don't need more than 1500-1700 sq probably. An awesome views is important. I understand Seymour straddles two counties. Is one side better than the other? I know I could probably drive around forever when I get there but I was hoping to take some of the stress level out of this trip if I knew what areas to look at first, specifics or names of roads and/ or areas would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 10:16 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,779,791 times
Seymour, Louisville, Walland, Greenback

Old 10-23-2009, 03:22 AM

32 posts, read 129,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLuce View Post
I have been trying to read as many of the posts I can on Maryville and Seymour and surrounding areas. We will be coming over in two more weeks for another "lookey loo" as to an area that calls our name to us to settle. It's just my husband and I so a good school district is not important to us, although around here a good school district guarantees you a nicer area to live, not sure how it rates over there. We don't want to live in the city limits of any town to avoid city taxes, and we just like it outside of a town anyway. My question is what part of Maryville or what side of Maryville should we look for that might appeal to us? We would rather stay out of a large development type subdivision where they have got rid of all the trees. Property $170K or below if we can get something nice for that, hopefully with a little land to it, we just don't want to be stacked on our neighbors. We really don't need more than 1500-1700 sq probably. An awesome views is important. I understand Seymour straddles two counties. Is one side better than the other? I know I could probably drive around forever when I get there but I was hoping to take some of the stress level out of this trip if I knew what areas to look at first, specifics or names of roads and/ or areas would be great!
Blounty county area for Maryville so stay out of the city limits. Chilhowee View has nice views and various prices with open areas. The south side of Blount County also has nice views and your price limit. Seymour is in Blount and Sevier County. For tax purposes, Sevier is cheaper. A benefit of Sevier is you get Sevier County days for events in Sevierville/Pigeon Forge area - free days to shows, Miracle Theatre, Dollywood, etc. Seymour does not have a city tax as it is unincorporated. Taxes are dirt cheap compared to Illinois. Here is a link where you can search for homes in your price range. It will show you the roads. Make sure you have a map as it is easy to get turned around on the back roads but it makes for scenic driving. If you take the drive from Seymour to Maryville on Wye Road or Maryville Highway, the views are gorgeous. Enjoy!
Find Homes By Area

Old 10-23-2009, 07:00 AM

340 posts, read 1,188,923 times
We live in the Chilhowee View area of Maryville (out in the county), and have an awesome view! One thing to keep in mind, though, is that we can get some pretty gusty winds out of the south, and we tend to lose a couple shingles a year from it. But, if you are like me and love the winds, it will be fine for you. Our area comprises about 20 homes built by the same builder, but ranging from a 2 bedroom up to a 5 bedroom home, so no cookie cutter neighborhood. Pieces of property range from less than half an acre, to a home on 3 acres.

There are lots of nice areas in Chilhowee View. But, there are also some run down areas as well. Always come look at the neighborhood before you buy. And there are lots of homes in your price range and size.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:24 PM

This may be a dumb question, but where would I get a map of these areas so I don't get lost while we're looking for areas such as Chilhowee View in maryville and Boyds Creek area in Seymour? I have a Tennessee State map but I don't think that would be very useful for this kind of stuff.

Also, are these Chilhowee View and Boyds Creek labeled as that or are they just an "area" that someone wouldn't know if they were in that area or not?? I'm trying to get my head wrapped around all these names and be able to use our time wisely rather than just driving around blindly.

Lyoda I already have that link bookmarked and have used it quite extensively, and it has helped me to learn what towns are in what county etc but now we're trying to learn "areas". I like that website though, especially the listings with lots of pictures. But I know there has to be more for sale than what is listed on that website.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:48 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Your cheapest and fastest solution is to print out a map from Google Maps.

If you want, when you visit you can go to downtown Knoxville and get a map at The Welcome Center or the East Tennessee Historical Society.

Longtime area residents: Do not suggest The Map Store on Dutch Valley. It closed this year.

East Tennessee Historical Society | Main Page

Old 10-23-2009, 12:58 PM

32 posts, read 129,476 times
Google maps is the best before you come. Mark out the areas you want to see. But if you forget, you can pick up a cheap map at the gas station in the areas we visited. It labels the road and you can mark all you want on it.
Chilhowee View, Boyds Creek, etc. are names of areas that you'll soon learn by driving around. They encompass a large area within the county. Plan your areas before you come and then just drive around is all I can say. I got lost at times but it paid off because I became familiar with the area and saw places I might never have seen. First time I didn't have a map...lesson learned!

Old 10-23-2009, 01:03 PM

I will print out a google map to start and maybe check on the gas station cheapies when I get there. We don't want to get too lost while driving around we want to make as good use of our time as we can while we are there. The last time we drove around and got all turned around, my husband laughed and affectionally said some areas might be like "The Hills have Eyes" movie! LOL! Riding around on roads over there are definitely not like riding around roads in Illinois...."just keep going west and you'll run into it" doesn't work over there! LOL!

Old 11-01-2009, 06:36 PM

361 posts, read 861,669 times
If you get the chance do an update post on what you find. My wife and I have been looking at retirement in the Maryville area and will only be in our early 50's when we do it. Being from Wisconsin we have the very high taxes both on income and property. From what I've found, if we maintain close to the same income as we have now, we will pay about $9000. less in property and income taxes in TN compared to WI. I figure the sales tax in TN will cost us about $1500. per year more than WI but even with that we are still $7500. ahead.

Then comes the nice bonus of milder weather to spend more time outside.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:34 PM

730 posts, read 1,917,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLuce View Post
I will print out a google map to start and maybe check on the gas station cheapies when I get there. We don't want to get too lost while driving around we want to make as good use of our time as we can while we are there. The last time we drove around and got all turned around, my husband laughed and affectionally said some areas might be like "The Hills have Eyes" movie! LOL! Riding around on roads over there are definitely not like riding around roads in Illinois...."just keep going west and you'll run into it" doesn't work over there! LOL!
I just moved to Seymour. I visited virtually every area looking for homes after making 3 trips here. Let me know what you are looking for and i can maybe help narrow it down. I also have a friend who was born here and is a Realtor in Seymour and can help if you wish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville