Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 12:22 PM

99 posts, read 272,190 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. Im applying for the Alcoa Police Dept and would like any info on them or the town of Alcoa. I am a Police Officer is So. IL and am a single father of a 13 yr old son whom lives with me. I am 34. My son tends to be by himself and I am trying to break him of that. He is in Boy Scouts and loves the outdoors. I am really excited about the chance to live close to the Smokies and the volunteer activities there. I have been to the area several times and know Sevier County very well but never visited Alcoa. So, do you guys think this is a good fit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 05:34 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,631,111 times
He'll find lots of activities to participate in.
Check out Smoky Mountain Field School with him. It's part of the University of Tennessee and you can find lots of things to do together.
Smoky Mountain Field School
During the summer, UT offers Kids U with courses on everything from learning to be a chef to forensic anthropology.
Kids U (http://www.outreach.utk.edu/ppd/kidsu/ - broken link)
You'll find plenty of activities around Alcoa and Maryville. Lots of sports programs run by Parks and Recreation. Alcoa is a working class neighborhood and it's struggling right now with the plant closing/cutting back. But you'll find good people there.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:52 PM

Thanx. Does anyone else have any info??

Old 10-30-2009, 11:03 PM

10 posts, read 22,147 times
Hello jpbklb,
I work for the City of Alcoa, not at the pd though, I'm very good friends with the police chief and several officers. It's the best pd to work for in the area. the pay from what i've heard is higher than other pd's in the area. keep in mind our city (alcoa) is small but it's alot of work and the officers have a great bond. I've seen it first hand, i've been though the citizens police acd with them. they are an accredited department. everyone at the pd is great to get along with and talk too. I don't get the chance to get to the public safety building very much these days. I wish you luck with your interview, oh BTW the interviews are video recorded and you'll sit in front of a panel of about seven other officers of different responsibilities.
Hope to see you soon on the staff.
PS Alcoa is a great city to live in and raise your kids. the city parks are wonderful.
best wishes.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:57 PM

Thank you for the inside info! I had been wanting to move to Sevier Co for some years now, mainly because of the activities and close proximity to the Smokeys but wasnt sure about the traffic so maybe Alcoa would be a good fit!

Old 11-01-2009, 09:15 PM

16,174 posts, read 32,329,827 times
Alcoa PD is a better department to work for than Sevier. M(aryville)PD is the best, followed by Alcoa and then Blount County Sheriff. All three PD's in Blount work very well together. I think you would like working at APD and the schools are better in Alcoa than Sevier Co. Things work out as they are supposed to when the time is right. Keep us posted. PS. The Smokies are still close even if you aren't in Sevier Co; Blount County has some nice bragging rights too!

Old 11-02-2009, 07:36 AM

13,336 posts, read 39,700,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Alcoa PD is a better department to work for than Sevier. M(aryville)PD is the best, followed by Alcoa and then Blount County Sheriff. All three PD's in Blount work very well together. I think you would like working at APD and the schools are better in Alcoa than Sevier Co. Things work out as they are supposed to when the time is right. Keep us posted. PS. The Smokies are still close even if you aren't in Sevier Co; Blount County has some nice bragging rights too!
Actually, a big chunk of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (including Cades Cove) is in Blount County.

Given a choice, I'd much rather live in Alcoa/Maryville than Sevierville, hands down.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:20 PM

Thanks guys. I got to be down there at 6pm Friday. I will be coming from Knoxville I guess. Any short cuts to the P.D.??

Old 11-03-2009, 04:26 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,631,111 times
You don't really need a shortcut. Just go straight down Alcoa Highway and Google for the map on how to get from there to where you need to be.
If there's any congestion it will be at I-40 or on Pellisippi Parkway. You can check traffic on the DOT Smartways map:
TDOT Smartmap
There are cameras along the way, too. Plan on Friday traffic being heavier, lots of folks heading out to the lakes and the Smokies.
Make sure you've got a printout of a Google map of the area in case there is a problem so you can take side streets if you absolutely have to. But it's really easy to get lost. If you look at the map, you'll see that there aren't a lot of alternative routes that go straight to anywhere.
You can take Chapman Hwy. but that's a lot of stop and go and more crowded.
If you're staying in west Knoxville, you can take Pellissippi Parkway to Alcoa Hwy. Just follow the airplane signs to the Airport.
You'll be presently surprised at what's called rush hour traffic here.
Hope all goes well for you. I think you'll really like Alcoa.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:11 PM

374 posts, read 940,040 times
Default My observation

is that the law enforcement in Blount Co is outstanding. At least from the perspective of senior outreach services they are extremely consciencious. My understanding is that the Sheriff's Dept. works in concert with other city depts - almost unheard of in other counties in the E TN area, and I think that's extremely impressive. Blount County in general is very community oriented and there are many civic/professional groups working diligently for their citizens. Alcoa PD also has an outreach program. I've seen both Alcoa PD and the Sheriff's Dept represented at several meetings I attend and the public should be really proud of those departments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville