Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 05:10 PM

4 posts, read 6,216 times

Advertisements

I am going to graduate from college soon, and would like to move toward West Knoxville, hopefully the Walker Springs/Turkey Creek Area. I've looked at a few maps and a lot of things I would like to live nearby are actually nearby (Earth Fare, The Rush, Books-A-Million). I have a few things I'd like to ask:
1) Is it a generally good neighborhood in the way of things like crime, noise, etc? I'm basically asking what warts I can expect if I end up there.
2) I would like a nice affordable apartment in the area, close to the aforementioned, as well as possibly a park and a volunteer-friendly business (like an animal shelter) these aren't as essential as the first three, but would be pretty nice.
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 05:58 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,659,902 times
I live near Gleason and Gallaher View and consider it to be a very safe and very convenient neighborhood. Generally friendly and suburban, good access to I-40, shopping, malls. There's a Humane Society animal shelter just down Kingston Pike in Bearden and a big new branch of the County Shelter being set up near there.
There are plenty of apartment complexes around, of all types and price ranges with or without amenities. You'll also find lots of condos for rent, particularly townhouses. Look on Gleason Road/Idlewood Rd. for lots of condos for rent in a quiet area.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:58 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,779,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
I live near Gleason and Gallaher View and consider it to be a very safe and very convenient neighborhood. Generally friendly and suburban, good access to I-40, shopping, malls. There's a Humane Society animal shelter just down Kingston Pike in Bearden and a big new branch of the County Shelter being set up near there.
There are plenty of apartment complexes around, of all types and price ranges with or without amenities. You'll also find lots of condos for rent, particularly townhouses. Look on Gleason Road/Idlewood Rd. for lots of condos for rent in a quiet area.
Seconded.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:25 AM

394 posts, read 794,189 times
Here's a link for rating of apartments in Knoxville: Knoxville Apartments for Rent - Knoxville Apartments Reviews and Ratings

If there's a bad area in West Knox, I haven't found it yet. Some don't like the traffic, but it depends on what you're used to. Compared to Boston, NYC and DC it's a piece of cake to me.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:39 PM

204 posts, read 580,435 times
Walker's crossing apartments are nice, huge, and close to most things. I also second the area that KnoxGardens says. There is also CopperPointe apartments but not sure about the noise levels.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:59 AM

8 posts, read 27,575 times
You have several options in West Knoxville. I can't list them all here (I'm sure others will fill in the gaps for me), but these are the ones that first come to mind:
1) Sequoyah/Sutherland area: near (even walking distance) to Bearden Earth Fare, close to animal shelter, not sure where closest Rush would be, generally very green with walking trails/sidewalks. There are a lot of apartments on/near Sutherland Ave. and Sequoyah Village in Sequoyah Hills, as well as a couple of others.
2) Gleason Rd. area: Lots of different apartments, can take back roads to Bearden (where animal shelter and Earth Fare are located), Walker Springs area (where Books-a-Million and Rush are located), and Farragut (where another Earth Fare and Rush are located).
3) Farragut: There are a few apartments located in the (western side of) Westland Ave./Northshore, as well as several in Farragut. This area is generally green and has lots of parks. Close to a Rush and Earth Fare.
It would be best if you could make a short trip here to look around the different areas to see what might best suit you and your needs.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:45 AM

1,398 posts, read 2,506,982 times
Walker Springs Apartments Walker Springs Apartments and Avalon West at Gallaher View and Broome Rds. Knoxville Apartment Guide On-Line

Old 11-08-2009, 01:47 AM

Condos are all over West Knoxville. You'll find every price range, age, style and size of community you could want, from garden units to duplexes to townhouses to mansions with or without amenities.
What price range and size are you looking for?

Old 11-08-2009, 06:19 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,484,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusannaM View Post
How's the condo situation in West Knoxville? Are they plentiful? Are they decent?
Yes they are plentiful and yes, some are decent. The prices on condos right now are so low that many are practically a steal! We've been looking at condos for Mom to downsize into and there is a big variety.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:35 PM

I was browsing last night after reading the question and was stunned by how low prices have gotten on some of the really nice complexes. There are some real bargains out there.
Check zip 37923 for condos off Gleason and 37909 for the West Hills area. A nice place under $100,000 is very doable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville